Possible New Baby - Help!

Carly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a breeder. She is coming from a top pedigree mum with a 5 generation history, including 6 champions., so the advert says?

Breeders come in all different sorts.  Excellent on one end and absolutely money hungry on the other - don't go by the add, ask to see the paper and ask to see the papers on the tests.  If they won't provide them, then I'd be taking my money elsewhere.

It's good that he's holding the pup till later, that's a bonus point for them. 

Agree with Al, ask to see the certifications on hips and eyes. Paperwork in all honesty is just that, paperwork; CH in the background doesn't really mean much if nothing currently is being done with the parents. Not to say those are bad dogs by any means, just saying that having five or six CH 4 or 5 generations back doesn't mean much in terms of the pups showability or things of that nature, and if you don't intend to show the only CH in the bloodline tells you is how close that puppy may be to breed standard. Lots of people try to use that as a selling point, as if it somehow makes their puppies more valuable.

Also, listen to what the breeder tells you about their pups. If its all about coat color and how special they eye color is, and nothing about the structure of the dog; the chest, legs, the tail, ect. Then you have someone who is breeding only for coat and eye color and giving no consideration to the structure of the dogs themselves and probably won't even have the certifications.

Ask about temperament. If the breeder raves about how loyal they are, or what a great guard dog they are, or how easy they are to take care of, then you have someone who is breeding for money, and you want to go the other way with your money. There will always be another grey and white blue-eyed girl out there somewhere.

Definitely be careful with breeders and ask to see the mums paperwork and that she's up to date with jabs. I once bought a beautiful boy from a breeder and he had parvo and didn't make it, broke my heart and I had to learn the had way. Ask as many questions as possible despite feeling demanding. Hope your new baby all checks out and brings you many years of happiness â¤ï¸â¤ï¸

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OOh Carly she's gorgeous!  Agree with the suggestions Nix made.  Don't be afraid to ask the right questions, the parents should of both been hip and eye scored and available to see, unless the boy was a stud and not theirs.   Should also be KC registered, if they say she is pedigree'd that's not the same thing as kc registration.   If/when you decide to visit take a look at the environment and conditions they're kept in.  You'll soon get a feel for what kind of a breeder they are.  If you think they're not a particularly savoury character than don't be afraid to walk away.  And most importantly of all, good luck!!!!  :D

An adorable pup - what a temptation!

As per Rob's previous post we have only ever taken in rescue dogs, (and we have been very lucky indeed), but we are in a position where we can afford to take a bit more of a 'risk' due to our circumstances.

Our latest acquisition, Skye, is the closest we have come to having a Husky pup but she was 5 months when we got her so we have missed out on some of the earlier 'fun'!