Two Male Siberian Huskies Littermates - 4 Months Old. Advice?

Scigna2009

Hello All,

I recently have adopted two male siberian huskies. They were part of the same litter. I have had them for nearly a month now. And they are now around 4 months old. They are doing fine ... slowly getting potty trained and crate trained. They seem to be developing well and learning well.

However I am concerned about this notion of "Littermate Syndrome." Admittedly I did not know about this when I adopted them. So now I am trying to take steps in ensuring they grow individually, such as separate training, one-on-one time, and separate walks.

I would just like to know if this is something feasible and any success stories out there. IF so please give me advice moving forward.

Very Respectfully,

Sherwin

Thank you SO MUCH! I appreciate the support. So far its going fine, my main concern is looking forward. I want to make sure I do this right.

I just started to freakout when I read all this horrible stuff about trying to raise littermates at the same time. So any advice out there would be great!

Hi Sherwin,  

I can't help any with littermate syndrome as I've never heard of it lol ( will be googling it though !)  But I will say welcome to the pack and congratulations on entering a life of slavery, I've become convinced that we only think we are our huskys master's, mine own me lock stock and treat bag.

Hahaha! Thank you! Again I appreaciate the support! although welcoming a couple new pups into the family has been a bit daunting, its been a pretty cool experience. And reading all these threads from other owners have been a huge help! So again thank you!

I had to go looking since the concept of littermate syndrome is completely new to me.

I rescued a female cross (and who knows what the cross was!) who, we guessed was about a year old, from the county shelter and it was a few weeks later that it became obvious she was "with pups".  When I moved out here to the desert I brought 9 dogs out with me - my Sibe, the dam and 7 pups who were about 8-10 weeks old. Being as young as she was, she was not a good mother - there were times I'd have to force her to stay so the pups could nurse - she just had no real knowledge nor desire to be a parent ...

She took off one day and I later found out that she landed with a distant neighbor who had a child and they (kid, dog and family) were getting along famously.  They later had her spayed (thank the gods!)

But that left me with 7 puppy's to raise as surrogate parent.  They had reached the point where they were eating on their own - stealing the Sibes food when they got the chance so at least I didn't have to bottle feed them all.

As they reached about 4 months, I started placing them with families in the area (we're highly transient with people coming in for part of the year and then leaving, some come back, others don't) but all the pups were well socialized, housebroken (very naturally, they spent more time outside than they did inside so it was really natural) I still have contact with the owners of three pups and even though they were raised together they have grown to be amazing dogs (for being a real "heinz 57" mix).

None of them received special treatment, none of them was obnoxiously more dominant than any of the others, with the exception of the runt of the litter none was more submissive than they others.

I suppose that where I'm going with this is that while it may indeed be a problem and there are enough reports that I have to give it credence, I think with a degree of forethought, you can probably raise them together.  The forethought I have in mind is more a matter of making sure they do have enough separate time that they don't become grossly co-dependent which could result in a severe case of separation anxiety.  Making sure that they are treated as equally as possible - bearing in mind that some dogs just have more outgoing personalities than others does not mean that the more introverted is naturally the more submissive - just different.

While the article states that the author was not aware of families who brought home more than one pet in the "old days" he seems to completely ignore the fact that bringing a pup home to the city is a relatively new experience anyway; in the "older days" I think it would be safe to say that most pups were raised with sire, dam and siblings on the farm with few of the "syndromes" we hear about today.

Odd note: I've often wondered of the identification the various syndromes - both with human and canines - might not be the cause of many of the problems people experience.  Is it possible that because the have this or that particular syndrome they now have the excuse to behave in ways that 100 years ago would have been completely unacceptable?

Al Jones: Thank for the reply! I really appreciate it. So far its going well. Im trying to get them used to being away from each other as to not make them so dependent on each other. Also another question: At 4 months the two seem to play fight a lot. Its not aggressive as both seem to enjoy it. But is there a certain age where that should be discouraged?

Michelle Sopi: Thank you! I'm hoping I can achieve the results you have with your huskies! I separation anxiety is also a concerned of mine, so thats something I am also going to have to work on! Thank you again. And same question, do your huskies still playfight with each other?

I think the play fighting will stop naturally - when they're someplace around 15 years old!  I have two - not littermates - my male will instigate and my female is beginning to understand "play" so it sometimes gets a bit hectic around here.  At least until I call "enough" (they've both learned that that means "stop!")

Personally, the only times I would actively discourage play fighting (and if you haven't heard it, at times it does sound a lot more like "fight"  than like play!) are when one is obviously overpowering or hurting (blood / cuts / etc) the other which is my case since Avalanche is a bigger boy that Sasha is, even though she weighs more!.  The other is when they've gotten out of control and in their play are managing to destroy things - knocking over lamps / chairs / tables / couches! etc.

I do think that the Husky will play fight more and harder than most any other breed I've had experience with - but, in general, it seems to be a natural outlet for the boundless energy.

Again thank you! So far I have no problem with them playfighting. Its a great way to tire them out. They dont seem to over do it or become too aggressive. Again I just want to make sure I'm not encouraging something that will bad for them when they are older. I've had a german shepard growing up, but never had two pups at once. So Im just trying to make sure, with two pups, Im not letting them grow into bad habits. Again thank you!

I have just had to read up on "Littermate Syndrome" as well as I too had not heard of it. I have 3 pups that were born  from the same litter. After reading up on "Littermate syndrome" I can say that nothing like seems to have affected my 3. It may be that they have had guidance from their mum who is with us as well. Mum was our first husky and her sister was our second husky. These 2 are totally inseperable and back each other to the hilt. So I have been through this with 2 seperate litters and had no problems whatsoever. I would say, don't read to much into it but monitor the situation now that you are aware and carry on doing what you are doing. Good luck with the training. Training one husky can be a challenge but training two is a nightmare. I KNOW :D  

Gary.

My two (Tar & Mac) are from the same litter and have separate personalities. Tar, the girl, is very lively to the point that I think she has ADHD and Mac, the boy, is so laid back he looks depressed when the leads come out! The only advice I can offer is to try and make time for each of them on their own. I made the mistake of letting them get along with each other and me tagging along, and though we have a bond as a pack, they are partners in crime and tag-team with each other. I have recently got a 10 week old malamute and there is a noticeable difference on how they interact with each other, this may change over time, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

As for the roughness in their playing, I can only reference my experiences with Tar & Mac and the best description would be like an outtake from 'The Matrix' They fly around bouncing off anything in their path with teeth and paws everywhere.

I hope this has helped put your mind at ease, they sound absolutely normal.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Sherwin, I too have never heard of littermate syndrome as I have never had 2 of the same litter, but it is very intriguing. I would think as others have said, as long as they have a little time out from each other and some 1 on 1 time with you, they will grow up independant and confident in their own right as well as being companions & play mates for each other. As for the play fighting, let them do it. It can look a lot worse than it actually is & if you've never witnessed it before, it can be quite alarming, but it is normal. Just make sure you call the shots of when they have gone too far & need to chill out.

Good luck with them :D

Thank you everyone for all your replies! I cant say this enough But I truly appreciate it. I am less concerned about the playfighting, as I become more concerned about it when I read more about "litter syndrome." I will continue to monitor the fighting to make sure it doesnt ever get out of hand, I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt a habit that would develop into something more of an issue as they grow older together. And I do plan on spending more one on one time with each of them seperately. I just want to make sure that they grow and mature without any issues.

So far training seems to be going better than I expected. So as of right now I am quite pleased!

Again thank you everyone! Again any further advice will be greatly appreciated!

I have heard of this phenomena quite a bit on a non-breed specific purebred forum that I visit. The theory is that litter-mates will naturally compete for resources and this can lead to fighting. However as others here have mentioned they have had no such problems. It is quite possible that this phenomena is more prevalent in other breeds - I think Staffies are one breed that can have such problems.

All I would do is keep an eye out for excessive resource guarding- if you maintain your Alpha status then there should be no issues. 

Keep us updated on any developments.

I have two boys from the same litter. Although they have grown up and become two completely different dogs, I have noticed that if I take one dog out without the other they get antsy.

Not sure if this due to one being walked and other not, or that they aren't together.

they have always been together, sleep together, eat etc etc.

they do play fight, and when they were younger did it a lot...not so much these days.

Ive just taught them "enough" for when it gets too much

Just wanted to say hello and welcome :)

I do have 3 males, 2 of them were around each other since puppies but are not litter mates, so I have not heard of the littermate syndrome. 

Sounds like you already got some good advice, I agree with the play fighting, it's typical and mine do it all the time.  You get used to knowing when they take it too far but I don't discourage it, although both of my bigger huskies gang up on poor little Yukon and I feel bad for him, but he goes right back to it!

Anyway, welcome and can't wait to see some pics :D

Never heard of it but did research it. I have two pups that are sisters. Had them from birth together. They are 1 year and 3 months old. Both very smart, both very obedient. Everything is perfect with them. They listen they learn everything like raising one alone. I actually saw it better to raise them together. But that is my personal reference. One thing that did happen is my lil girl Meeka broke her femer bone at 23 weeks..she was at the vets for three days and my girl larka was lost and devastated without her..she moped around..cryed in her sleep..wouldn't eat...wouldn't drink she just later in her sisters cage and when we brought Meeka home the reunite was beautiful and amazing the bond they hold together...I know I can never separate them and I never will..if they were to be they would probably die to be honest or have such temperament problems nobody could handle them. I took larka to the vet alone to get her shots she cryed and threw a tantrum in my backseat the whole time intill I got back to Meeka...when we go on walks she has to be walked with Meeka or she will cry..I can't walk her and my hubby take the other two..she freaks...when one digs out the other follows..when one gets in the trash the other follows lol...so you do have your ups and downs but honestly this is the greatest thing I have ever done in my life...Welcome, good luck and love to see photos :)