Husky Coloring Changes

Gooseman

i have a male husky that will be a year old Oct. 27th ... his coat started out as black and white and recently is turning reddish on his back, tail and haunches ... is this normal? my previous husky was female and also black & white but never changed color at all ... if this is normal what name do i use to describe his coat now as he isnt just black & white anymore

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's not uncommon for a Husky to go from puppy to adult and be a completely different looking dog

they do change color a lot but IMO black to red is a bit too drastic of a change  :o what color is his harness? maybe the color got to his fur? how dark of a red is it? 

his harness and collar are black ... is it possible that he just has red husky in his blood line along the way?

his harness and collar are black ... is it possible that he just has red husky in his blood line along the way?

Pics would be helpful :)

I was told that Diamond's mom is a red... and sure enough he has light red and brown patches on his elbow and the back of his ears. But none is as red as what you see in a red husky. After all, he's a black/white  :o

forgive the crudeness of my yard we have been without rain for sometime now ... Jack was pleasantly patient for me though ... i tried to get different angles but as you can see he has a lot of red that is growing by the day ... it does go down his tail and along his haunches as well

post-10890-0-43535100-1379634633_thumb.j

post-10890-0-99055500-1379634635_thumb.j

post-10890-0-34349200-1379634638_thumb.j

post-10890-0-69986400-1379634640_thumb.j

I see what you mean. . . That IS different. . . :

I had something similar happen to my White German shepherd Echo.

It was a food colouring in the Kibble we were feeding the dogs at the time.

It didn't affect the huskies only Echo.

She got brownish red colouring in her fur.

discontinued the kibble and it cleared up.

So, the question is what are you feeding Him ????

I'll have to recant, that definitely is not sunburn, if it were it would be more even across his back.

Avalanche, who has a mixed brown/black coat (some brown hair, some black intermixed) will turn more red during the summer when he stays out in the sun, but it's a lot more even that you're seeing.

It might be food or an allergy of some type - it might also be an infection of some type in his skin (which, from my point of view would be more likely as splotchy as it is). You might want to run him past the vet and see if he'd take a scraping just to confirm one way or the other.

ive a black husky, kaiser, this often happens him when he is blowing his coat, a quick brush over a few days and it goes.

I hadn't thought about that since the undercoat on both of mine is stark white.  But it does match the pattern of a dog throwing his coat ... it doesn't look right in the pictures since there doesn't seem to be any loose hair.

I hadn't thought about that since the undercoat on both of mine is stark white.  But it does match the pattern of a dog throwing his coat ... it doesn't look right in the pictures since there doesn't seem to be any loose hair.

i was thinking that myself, kaiser usually gets it around his neck, thats the only thing i can think of unless its the food coloring  dye as someone mentioned earlier 

ive a black husky, kaiser, this often happens him when he is blowing his coat, a quick brush over a few days and it goes.

well this has been going on for about the last 3 months or more ... it started with just a but of red and now it is spreading ... i dont think its a brushing issue as i brush him frequently 

Kodiak was purely black and white when he was a "small" pup... Then he went through a phase where the black turned to grey, and now his fur is striped... If you look at the individual strands of fur, they go white grey, black, grey black... It's strange but not unheard of....

Kala was pure grey and white when she was born, bit now she's getting blonde, black and grey, and white colours on her