Husky Coloring Changes

Gooseman

your dogs are beautiful and very happy ... i can see what you mean but it looks like a different color red which may take us back to the sun thing ... i am going to have to take Jack to my vet for verification and put this to rest

Thank you :) and ya hers is a light red because her mother was a light red...once you find out let us know!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your dogs are beautiful and very happy ... i can see what you mean but it looks like a different color red which may take us back to the sun thing ... i am going to have to take Jack to my vet for verification and put this to rest

Thank you :) and ya hers is a light red because her mother was a light red...once you find out let us know!

this is probably your girls colour  - Reddish Black. A full allowance of red creates a reddish tone not to be confused with sunburning or old dry coats. They may be either banded or monochromatic and may possess either charcoal, beige or white undercoats. Pigment may be restricted or allowed to extend over he body as well as per individual hair. There is often an overall cast of red to the dog with highlights behind the ears, in the saddle above the hock and in the center of the tail. It is sometimes an indication of a heterozygous Bb; progeny may be copper.

where as i think the OPs dog is just sunburnt

if you look at this link , the very bottom left hand dog is also a black but has a 'red' coat 

http://www.huskycolors.com/black.html

the description says - that this dog has a reddish cast to her coat , the coat of many black siberians will develop a red hue if frequently exposed to the sun 

i know it says a rare few will have it regardless but i honestly think your dog is just sunburnt 

Capo's tail started turning[tinted] a reddish tint on the top about a year or so ago. I would definitely believe and attribute that to the Sun. I walk him 6+ miles a day!! We have a lot of sunny Days in the Phila. area!

Looking at "goosemans" pictures of his Dog, to me that seems entirely different than the Sun causing that. If the sun caused that, his Dog would have to be outside all day every day and in the Sun,,,,,,,Husky's don't like the heat!

Ciao,,,Roberto

• 3 weeks later...

ok so i have an update ... my vet said he hasnt seen anything like it in his 34 years ... the breeder, like i previously said, has only seen this once in his 30 years ... after doing some reading from you folks and on the net and making a few calls it comes down to one of two things that i can find ... #1 its either natural coloring OR #2 its over furmination with the brush ... so here is what i am doing to confirm one way or the other ... i stopped using the furminator brush a month ago and went to using another kind of regular brush and if his fur stays red over the next couple months and doesnt go away on its own then we know which it is ... as of right now his coloring hasnt changed and is still very much red ... so stay tuned 

• 1 month later...

well here it is the end of November and thanksgiving time ... at this time there have been no changes to Jacks color ... i was hoping something might change when his winter coat started coming in but alas he still looks the same as the pictures i have previously posted ... i still have not used anything but a standard brush on him and so the science experiment continues

well here it is the end of November and thanksgiving time ... at this time there have been no changes to Jacks color ... i was hoping something might change when his winter coat started coming in but alas he still looks the same as the pictures i have previously posted ... i still have not used anything but a standard brush on him and so the science experiment continues

I'd wait till he sheds his winter coat n see what happens dogs tend to change rather dramatically when they blow their coats fully

• 5 months later...

Well i was trying to wait it out some more but i don't think it's going to matter. His color has not changed, he is still red in the same areas. I have barely brushed him this spring and haven't used the furminator on him since last summer/fall. The breeder told me to wait until he is 2 years of age to be sure of his true color. Jack is now 19 months and 60 lbs. I will post more pictures when i get a chance.

OK it has been 8 months since i first started this thread ... here is a picture i took of Jack about an hour ago ... looking back on the original pictures i posted you can tell that the red isnt as prominent as it was after a whole summer outside ... i still have only brushed him as needed to keep the hair down but you can clearly see he still has the red hair ... will try to post pictures as summer progresses to see how he looks at summers end ... maybe that will give me some more answers ... either it will continue to fade or it will come back 

post-10890-0-92441800-1399502776_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

good! I was gonna feel bad if it was a burn :( I'll show ya some pics of him when he was younger, and one without the dark on his back. thanks guys! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't feel bad even if it was my boy has it too , it's just what happens with the sun hitting their coat it's more like sun bleaching then burn really

He's gorgeous , I love wooly huskies , my girls a wooly but not quite as long furred as yours

really? I honestly questioned if he was even a husky for a really long time because of his wooly coat. I had never heard of it before on a husky!

but good, thank you! I'd love to see a picture of yours if you would :)

really? I honestly questioned if he was even a husky for a really long time because of his wooly coat. I had never heard of it before on a husky!

but good, thank you! I'd love to see a picture of yours if you would :)

She's not as wooly as some and has her summer coat atm too

vy3e9ata.jpg

a9e8ate8.jpg

uruzagy8.jpg