Husky Coloring Changes

Gooseman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is pretty amazing.

So, what food is he on, have you added or started giving him treats or anything different?

for the first 6 months i had him on the Blue but since petsmart is a 45 minute drive i started feeding him the Diamond brand ... as far as the snacks that hasnt varied much since we got him at 10 weeks

post-10890-0-06703900-1379707431.jpg

post-10890-0-27143100-1379707478_thumb.j

i have a male husky that will be a year old Oct. 27th ... his coat started out as black and white and recently is turning reddish on his back, tail and haunches ... is this normal? my previous husky was female and also black & white but never changed color at all ... if this is normal what name do i use to describe his coat now as he isnt just black & white anymore

It is NORMAL and there is nothing to worry about!!! Describe him as tri colored!

My Siberian will be 3 the day after Christmas. When he was about 1.5 I noticed his tail started getting a reddish brown tint on it!! I think it is cool!

Also I think most Siberians mask change a little bit. If you look at the pics. I post, look at the puppy pics. and see how much more black was around his eyes. a lot less now.

ciao,,,Roberto

I see what you mean. . . That IS different. . . :

I had something similar happen to my White German shepherd Echo.

It was a food colouring in the Kibble we were feeding the dogs at the time.

It didn't affect the huskies only Echo.

She got brownish red colouring in her fur.

discontinued the kibble and it cleared up.

So, the question is what are you feeding Him ????

Andy,

I hope your not still feeding those Dogs food w/ coloring! WOW!! I never heard it showing up in a dogs coat before. That is scary.

EDIT: I see that you stopped that food!!

Capo eats like me and my relatives in Italy,,,all natural!

Ciao,,,Roberto

p.s getting back to the Dog w/ red blotches,,,,,,,What does the Vet say?? Hopefully a Vet that knows the Husky breed!

zoeys dad had fur like this. do you know what your dogs parents fur looked like?

i wouldnt be to worried about it. if the husky mom or dad had black fur, and the other had brown fur, its very plausible to have a black husky with brown/red grow into it. Our zoey is all black and white, but as she got older she got a lot of brown fur on her legs, and now her tail is getting a bit of red into it. But I know her dad had red "highlights" in his black fur, so I figured it might happen to zoey as well.

funny thing ... i gave the breeder a call to inquire about Jacks red hair and they asked for some pics so i sent them the ones i showed you all and now they want me to bring him back for breeding ... apparently this is a rarity ... any ideas on what to charge for stud service? 

funny thing ... i gave the breeder a call to inquire about Jacks red hair and they asked for some pics so i sent them the ones i showed you all and now they want me to bring him back for breeding ... apparently this is a rarity ... any ideas on what to charge for stud service? 

Wait what? Your breeder wants to breed your dog just because of the colour? That's quite bad actually. Please be smart and don't let your dog be used by your breeder simply for a quick buck :(

It's not rare a lot ov huskies end up with red colours in there coat I honestly think it's just Sun burn the darker the dog the more likely it will show up I think , blaze has similar see/brown tints in his fur too more noticeable on his blackest fur

Wanting to breed him just for his colour is so wrong! What about hip n eye scoring etc!?

It's not rare a lot ov huskies end up with red colours in there coat I honestly think it's just Sun burn the darker the dog the more likely it will show up I think , blaze has similar see/brown tints in his fur too more noticeable on his blackest fur

Wanting to breed him just for his colour is so wrong! What about hip n eye scoring etc!?

well i am new to this and was totally shocked when he asked ... and your right this coloring may pass and be nothing plus hes not even a year old yet so i am in no hurry to breed my dog at this point ... i am curious though why is it wrong to breed a dog for something someone sees as favorable ... isnt that what people do all the time in all types of animals when they are looking for something different?

well i am new to this and was totally shocked when he asked ... and your right this coloring may pass and be nothing plus hes not even a year old yet so i am in no hurry to breed my dog at this point ... i am curious though why is it wrong to breed a dog for something someone sees as favorable ... isnt that what people do all the time in all types of animals when they are looking for something different?

People tend to breed dogs like you said because they want something specific and because of looks. But what they don't take into consideration is if the dog is a good quality and of good lines. Without testing your pup first, regardless if he has decent blood lines, it doesn't mean he would produce good litter, this means costly tests and then once the litter arrives, well I suppose that any problems would not be yours so much as I am assuming she would use her own female.

so the question is, are they breeding for the sake of the breed or are they breeding for the sake of their pocket. Unfortunately, we buy dogs from breeders only to then turn around and say breeding is not a good idea due to the amount of dogs in rescues, there are pros and cons to both breeding and not breeding.

I understand how it might be confusing how we all love the Siberian Husky but are quite against in breeding them. Well, for a start, it's not breeding them that's in our opinion wrong, it's breeding them for the wrong reasons that is.

Huskies were originally bred to pull sleds and were therefore selected on endurance and energy rather than the looks (which explains why there are so many different looks for the husky). Selecting them for colour or appearance is imo wrong. This has happened in the past, just look at how the German Shephard has changed from a healthy working dog, to a dog that is extremely prone to hips dysplasia due to their unnatural stance people apparently like.

Seriously though, how did this

post-2355-0-03190000-1380128786.jpg

went to this??

post-2355-0-40456800-1380128786.jpg

This can be found in many other breeds where appearance got the preference above health (Think of the English Bulldog with a nose too short to be able to breath properly, or the Cavalier Spaniel where its head is too small for their brains which can cause severe pain and even paralysis). The husky is one of the most healthiest breeds out there due to strong regulations that made sure that the breed kept as close to their original as possible. Me, and lots of other people would like to see the Siberian Husky to be the stay the same healthy breed it is known right now and feel that breeding them should be done only by people who have experience with the breed. Breeding should be done to better the breed, not to fill the pockets. Breeding just for a supposedly rare colour includes that in my opinion.

So now you know :)

I agree with the other two about it being wrong..if they are breeding for color then that strikes me as back yard breeding..Also my girl meeka was completly black and white intil now..her ears are red and her coat is turning red in places..ive seen what your dog looks like and it is nothing rare its just red genes down the line either from the parents, grandparents or great grandparents.

This is meeka on day 1 all black and white post-2387-0-18134000-1380133592_thumb.jp

This is age 6 weeks all black and white post-2387-0-76912200-1380133620.jpg

This is meeka 7 months black has turned a bit red post-2387-0-43635200-1380133652_thumb.jp

Her ears at 7 months post-2387-0-59053300-1380133696_thumb.jp

And a video right now today at age 25 months...Her ears are much redder..and her legs are gaining more red..NO that is NOT dirt it IS her color..I tried to wash it of before so i would know ..And her tail is moving quickly but its also turned from white to reddish

I understand how it might be confusing how we all love the Siberian Husky but are quite against in breeding them. Well, for a start, it's not breeding them that's in our opinion wrong, it's breeding them for the wrong reasons that is.

Huskies were originally bred to pull sleds and were therefore selected on endurance and energy rather than the looks (which explains why there are so many different looks for the husky). Selecting them for colour or appearance is imo wrong. This has happened in the past, just look at how the German Shephard has changed from a healthy working dog, to a dog that is extremely prone to hips dysplasia due to their unnatural stance people apparently like.

attachicon.gifGerman-Shepherd-muzzle-German-Shepherd.jpg

went to this??

attachicon.gifshepherd.jpg

This can be found in many other breeds where appearance got the preference above health (Think of the English Bulldog with a nose too short to be able to breath properly, or the Cavalier Spaniel where its head is too small for their brains which can cause severe pain and even paralysis). The husky is one of the most healthiest breeds out there due to strong regulations that made sure that the breed kept as close to their original as possible. Me, and lots of other people would like to see the Siberian Husky to be the stay the same healthy breed it is known right now and feel that breeding them should be done only by people who have experience with the breed. Breeding should be done to better the breed, not to fill the pockets. Breeding just for a supposedly rare colour includes that in my opinion.

i never knew people bred GSD to look like that. I looked at a few breeders in the area and all the dogs have that awkward stance. That stance looks unbalance and prone to hurting their hips. I guess its supposed to look more aggressive?

i never knew people bred GSD to look like that. I looked at a few breeders in the area and all the dogs have that awkward stance. That stance looks unbalance and prone to hurting their hips. I guess its supposed to look more aggressive?

That's what the show does, they're trying to put everything to the extreme :( You have the same difference with huskies: Working and showline huskies, though so far shows generally also care about the health a lot and unlike the GSDs most showline huskies can also do the working part just fine.

There's an old GSD in the animal shelter here. He's just wobbling around the place and has lots of trouble keeping balanced with his hind legs. I feel so bad for him :(

I agree with the other two about it being wrong..if they are breeding for color then that strikes me as back yard breeding..Also my girl meeka was completly black and white intil now..her ears are red and her coat is turning red in places..ive seen what your dog looks like and it is nothing rare its just red genes down the line either from the parents, grandparents or great grandparents.

This is meeka on day 1 all black and white attachicon.gif1 day.jpg

This is age 6 weeks all black and white attachicon.gif6weeks (4).jpg

This is meeka 7 months black has turned a bit red attachicon.gif7 months (14).JPG

Her ears at 7 months attachicon.gif7 months (83).JPG

And a video right now today at age 25 months...Her ears are much redder..and her legs are gaining more red..NO that is NOT dirt it IS her color..I tried to wash it of before so i would know ..And her tail is moving quickly but its also turned from white to reddish

your dogs are beautiful and very happy ... i can see what you mean but it looks like a different color red which may take us back to the sun thing ... i am going to have to take Jack to my vet for verification and put this to rest 

attachicon.gifGerman-Shepherd-muzzle-German-Shepherd.jpg

went to this??

attachicon.gifshepherd.jpg

That is sad. I grew up with GSD's. NONE of ours had that slumping Hip/Back look. It is a shame what people do for money and how they alter the genetics of Dogs, just to please themselves.

Is it just me or do Siberian Show Dogs have a different look to them than the your average Siberian? Most of them have that same look.I am not saying there aren't any, but I can not recall ever seeing a Black/White Siberian Show Dog. Maybe they don't have the look that is acceptable? Also, I have never seen an ALL White Siberian Show Dog. One thing I learned about Siberian show Dogs is that they also can compete in Sled races.Last year there was one in the Westminster Dog show from my area. There was an article in the paper that the Dog was a show Dog and a great sled Dog!

I have heard some GSD People say that all white GSD's are not True GSD. That has been discussed on the website  germanshepherds.com.

My Dog "Capo" is not a show Dog, he is a "Movie Star" and Professional athlete!!

Ciao,,,Roberto