Escape-Proof Crate?

Jay

I couldn't find the link of Cj's current modified crate but I'll snap some pics tonight.

We too used cable ties in the past (the company I work for is a distibutor so I get them  very very cheap :D ) but I've found the small key lock style master locks or much easier to put on and remove. We bought a 4 pack all keyed they same.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use zip ties (cable ties) more for structural reinforcement.

If a Husky is really determined to get out of a crate them they will.

Cable ties will help to stop them getting the corner edges apart enough to slip out.

Because of the way crates go together if they can get some sideways displacement

then it becomes more diamond shaped than square and there's enough room to squeeze through the gap.

Well I was able to exchange the crate, and got the same kind and bought some reusable zip ties that I am connecting to all 4 corners.  It is going to be a pain in the a$$ to zip them shut every day but we will see how this goes!

This is what I have.. Mine is bigger but I found mine on craigslist cheap.. The tray is metal and it's called Heavy Gauge or something like that... Works wayyyyy better than the plastic one I had when I first got Ripley

attachicon.gifcage.jpg

Yeah Ours is like that.

We still reinforce the sides with zip ties.

Ain't no dawgy gettin' outta ours :)

I need to find that in a 48" size.  I didnt think they made crates with metal pans in them. I had him in Nikko's crate for 2 hours and he destroyed the plastic pan in it and I had to replace it

This is what I have.. Mine is bigger but I found mine on craigslist cheap.. The tray is metal and it's called Heavy Gauge or something like that... Works wayyyyy better than the plastic one I had when I first got Ripley

attachicon.gifcage.jpg

Jason I got really lucky.. I found mine on Craigslist.. someone was moving and was selling it.. I paid 50 bucks for it.. My dad reinforced the corners for me. He did a lil bit of tack welding on it and it's awesome... I am really kinda lucky I live near a Military base so there is stuff like this being sold cheap alllll the time.. in fact I just bought Ripley a doggy igloo for 25 bucks lol...

You can buy just the metal replacement trays.. I'm a serious CyberShopper so I will look around for you if you want.. I have 3 weeks of laying around doing nothing coming up soon... I have surgery the 15th and will be out of commission for 3 weeks... Cyber Window Shopping will give me something to do to keep me from going absolutely insane.

You can buy just the metal replacement trays.. I'm a serious CyberShopper so I will look around for you if you want.. I have 3 weeks of laying around doing nothing coming up soon... I have surgery the 15th and will be out of commission for 3 weeks... Cyber Window Shopping will give me something to do to keep me from going absolutely insane.

That would be so awesome!! . (Email removed sorry forum rules for your security) Sometimes at work husky owners won't work, something with the firewall.

I was going to do some looking tomorrow. It depends on how this setup works with the zip ties but if he hurts himself or still breaks out I'm going to need something else, and having a crate with a metal pan is the only option. He didn't destroy anything so he would probably be ok having free rein but I don't feel comfortable with that since I've only had him 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see what you figure out and do. Hope it works may have to steal whatever idea you come up with :P

Sent from my Huawei-U8652 using Tapatalk 2

post-7184-1367375356558_thumb.jpg

I bought the zip ties to tie to the corners so we will see what happens tomorrow.

By the way that door is supposed to open out, not in!

Here's some photos of Cj's Fortress......don't mind the shredded stuffie and rubber mat that she has decided to turn into her nest! :erm:

Locked down with latch and 4 padlocks

post-7782-0-91512500-1367380079_thumb.jp

Cable Ties and Heavy Duty Lag Bolts to reinforce any joints.

post-7782-0-67121500-1367380103_thumb.jp

I also put down the most rugged industrial grade rubber mat I could find 1/2" and have 3/4" solid hickory runners to keep it down. Also keeps her from digging at the bottom bars.

post-7782-0-54406400-1367380151_thumb.jp

Crate sits in a powdercoated sheetmetal tray to  protect the carpet (Miss Cj has pulled carpet through the bottom of her crate before)

post-7782-0-93097200-1367380185_thumb.jp

Padlocks....so much easier than cable ties!

post-7782-0-54169400-1367380208_thumb.jp

other than that it's just a plain old wire crate! :D

Here's some photos of Cj's Fortress......don't mind the shredded stuffie and rubber mat that she has decided to turn into her nest! :erm:

Locked down with latch and 4 padlocks

attachicon.gifCj Crate 43013 001.jpg

Cable Ties and Heavy Duty Lag Bolts to reinforce any joints.

attachicon.gifCj Crate 43013 002.jpg

I also put down the most rugged industrial grade rubber mat I could find 1/2" and have 3/4" solid hickory runners to keep it down. Also keeps her from digging at the bottom bars.

attachicon.gifCj Crate 43013 003.jpg

Crate sits in a powdercoated sheetmetal tray to  protect the carpet (Miss Cj has pulled carpet through the bottom of her crate before)

attachicon.gifCj Crate 43013 004.jpg

Padlocks....so much easier than cable ties!

attachicon.gifCj Crate 43013 005.jpg

other than that it's just a plain old wire crate! :D

that looks rather awesome and very undestructible!!

I have noticed no one has addressed why he is trying so much to get out the crate?? Shadow used to do it and has destroyed 2 wire crates in his time so i stopped crating him but after some time when i got Skye i decided to re crate train both the dogs which started at a minute at a time etc etc to make sure they actually LOVE being in there and they both go in willingly without attempting to escape! As they feel safe in there and relaxed and know its chill time in there, if im gone for a good few hours they have a frozen kong or a raw bone :) Shadow if he does get stressed out for any reason for example when i came back from holiday and i had to crate him again because one of the americans was "allergic" he almost bent the door down as he wanted to get to me, but these situations are rare but it shows that if he wants to he could probably still get out but he does not as its his "safe place"

So my point is perhaps look at the reasoning why he is trying so hard to get out and perhaps do some training :)

That's a good point. I am training Kodiak like i did my other 2 and they both love their crates. I always use it as a positive place and give him a bone and treats when I put him in. It might have to do with his circumstances but who knows.

That's a good point. I am training Kodiak like i did my other 2 and they both love their crates. I always use it as a positive place and give him a bone and treats when I put him in. It might have to do with his circumstances but who knows.

Could just take some time :) I had to start from scratch with Shadow as he used to panick going in so did alot of work with the door open and then shut fed all meals in there for a while etc etc etc 

Maybe I should try feeding him in his crate for a couple meals.  The rescue did that with him, but when I brought him home I just feed him on the other side of the kitchen, because his crate is upstairs and does not carry easily.  I did put a kong with peanut butter in there today, so we will see what I come home to at lunch. 

I was so lucky with the other two! 

So, do you just cut the zip tie and use a new one every time?  I would have to get a new one at noon, and 5pm daily, not to mention on the other times.

I am still going to look into the reusable ones...those seem like the best bet.

I almost thought about just leaving him outside of the crate all day, but since he decided to pee on my bookshelf I think not!  There was however a big bag of Bill-Jac liver treats on the counter that was untouched.  I was very surprised and relieved!  I would not want to clean up the mess after he ate 200 liver treats.  :wacko:

no i have every section on the dang thing zip tied. he hasn't figured out how to open the actual door latches yet. i just won't ever be able to collapse the crate without removing them.

knox used to be in a crate where he could unlatch the door and i used one of those clasps (like on your leash but it was double sided) for the door. worked so well.

Lol sucks about the pee, Bexley got sick one time when i first left him out and luckily he did it in my kitchen so super easy to clean up! haha haven't had an issue since then! he is like a perfect dog though. haha

He did try to break out of the crate and the door on the crate I just exchanged is now bent. He was not successful though, the zip ties prevented him from escaping. I'm half tempted to just leave him out but it's a little too early for that.

I would do some training to calm him and make him feel safe in it :) Have you tried covering it also?? Can sometimes make them feel calmer although some dogs just pull them through and rip them up (like mine lol)