Escape-Proof Crate?

Jay

I have had Kodiak for a little over 3 weeks now.  The rescue suggested I used one of those airline style crates, those plastic ones.  I have wire crates for my other 2 and have had no issues with them.  Well, Kodiak HATES the crate.

First, I took Nikko to class last week and left the other 2 home.  I thought Kodiak would rather be in a bigger area, so I put him in Nikko's 48" wire crate.  When I got back home he had chewed and broke the plastic pan inside the crate, so I had to buy a new one. 

Then, today I come home for lunch, open the door and I am greeted by Kodi!  I went upstairs and he had bent the door to his crate back and escaped.  He did not do too much damage, and I have no idea how long he was out for.  The last person leaves around 8:15am, and I got home shortly after 12 noon.  The only thing I see is that he had the tissue box and put some teeth marks in a library book.  And he marked on the floor and my bookshelf.  Granted, I was not even concerned with that, but I don't want to take the chance of coming home to half a couch!

My question for those of you that have escape artists...How do you secure the crate, and what kind do you use?  It has holes on the crate that you can put a zip tie on, but I am not using like 2-3 zip ties per day. 

This is the first time since I got him that he got out.  The only thing I can figure out why he was so determined to get out is usually the door of his crate faces the dresser, and this morning we turned it around she he is able to see out the bedroom door to where Nikko and Yukon's crates are.  I think that he was able to see freedom more and that motivated him more to get out.

I attached a pic of the crate that I have.

post-7184-0-43985000-1367346179.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm glad he didn't eat anything! I need help with this too. Every day I come home Chula has undone the bottom latch on the crate. Luckily there are two latches, but I'm sure it won't be long until she has figured them both out. 

Do you have that same style crate? 

My other ones are the wire crates like this:

I'm glad he didn't eat anything! I need help with this too. Every day I come home Chula has undone the bottom latch on the crate. Luckily there are two latches, but I'm sure it won't be long until she has figured them both out. 

post-7184-0-51119200-1367346586.jpg

Hers is a wire crate, but she has figured out how to undo the bottom of the latches with her paw I think. I've heard you can use a carabiner, or a clip like you have on leashes, to keep them closed. Not sure if that would work for yours.

We now use wire crates...but in the past had a solid aluminum training crate. For Cj's crate I have used 5/16" Lag bolts and large washers and anti-vibration nylon nuts to secure all the collapseable sides. Once she's in and the door is fastened shut, we add 4 small padlocks. I now believe this is way overkill, but it's part of the routine so I just go with it. (I have photos on the forum somewhere)

We don't have any issues with Ace trying to escape. (hope I didn't jinx myself here) :D  

We now use wire crates...but in the past had a solid aluminum training crate. For Cj's crate I have used 5/16" Lag bolts and large washers and anti-vibration nylon nuts to secure all the collapseable sides. Once she's in and the door is fastened shut, we add 4 small padlocks. I now believe this is way overkill, but it's part of the routine so I just go with it. (I have photos on the forum somewhere)

We don't have any issues with Ace trying to escape. (hope I didn't jinx myself here) :D

Wow! CJ must have caused the guards some real problems to end up in maximum security. LOL!!

I think that may work!  Didnt realize they made them.

http://www.securecableties.com/Cable-Ties/Releasable-Cable-Ties-cID12.aspx

Why not reusable zip ties?

All three of mine have wire cages. Only had one escape. Akira (puppy) had to poop. Fortunately she can't work the front door and pooped by it. Poor thing. She didn't tear anything up either.

Or something like this maybe?

13CF7C683EAB4A889E061F3AC963BCA7.gif

I am not sure that will attach from the door to the side of the crate.  There is only a very small hole on the side near the door.  On the description of the crate it says you can attach a zip tie for extra security when traveling, such as if you have to fly with them, because these crates are approved for airline use

I am sure glad he wasn't on the plane inside that crate! 

Holy f$&%*&##$

I consider myself pretty lucky!  If I saw that when I came home, Kodi just might be on his way back to the rescue. 

Cj's original crate can be seen here! Trying to find her current setup! :D

The rescue I got him from recommend that style crate and that is what he had been in.  I paid a lot for it, so I plan on using it, because the one time I had him in the wire crate he broke apart the plastic tray at the bottom.  So if I get a wire crate it will need to have a metal floor.  I think that he sees what is outside he wants out even more. 

I am going to take a look at those reusable zip ties tonight and hopefully that will work.  I managed to bend the door back in shape so it closes but who knows if he got out this afternoon.  We are going to see if PetSmart will exchange it on Thursday

I like those reusable zip ties, look like they'll do the job. Are you planning on keeping him in the airline style crate? You would definitely need something to keep the door secure. Glad he didn't hurt himself making the great escape though

Yeah, it would go on the door to prevent him from being able to open it.  However, if I used the regular zip ties I would need to cut them to let him out of the crate, but the resuable ones would work out

I'm assuming these are going on the door? If not, why would you replace them daily?

lol every foster i've had has been an escape artist. I just stopped crating Bexley because i'd come home to him greeting me at the door. Luckily, he doesn't damage anything. i'm pretty sure he sleeps on the couch all day. haha

I use zip ties for Luka's wire crate. he could break out of it if it weren't for them so that's what i'd try.

You need something rated by Sir Richard Attenborough suitable for silverback mountain gorillas.

Then and only then will you feel safe.

I'm NOT Kidding.

I was so lucky with the other two! 

So, do you just cut the zip tie and use a new one every time?  I would have to get a new one at noon, and 5pm daily, not to mention on the other times.

I am still going to look into the reusable ones...those seem like the best bet.

I almost thought about just leaving him outside of the crate all day, but since he decided to pee on my bookshelf I think not!  There was however a big bag of Bill-Jac liver treats on the counter that was untouched.  I was very surprised and relieved!  I would not want to clean up the mess after he ate 200 liver treats.  :wacko:

lol every foster i've had has been an escape artist. I just stopped crating Bexley because i'd come home to him greeting me at the door. Luckily, he doesn't damage anything. i'm pretty sure he sleeps on the couch all day. haha

I use zip ties for Luka's wire crate. he could break out of it if it weren't for them so that's what i'd try.

There is no such thing as escape proof for my fur kids..they always get out!!..i have used zipties, locks, clamps,,everything imaginable and they either open the cage door or open a side of the cage(they are fold down cages) or they bust the bottom open and go under the cage or they just eat the cage and get out through a hole...my furkids are destructible when left home unsupervised.i wish i was lucky enough to have well behaved ones lol

Well, from 1pm until 4 he managed to get out again!  No pee and nothing destroyed, but that crate will not hold him at all.  I will try the zip ties and see if that works tomorrow! 

Yeah, go down to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and get an industrial sized bag of zip ties.