Escape-Proof Crate?

Jay

It's an airline style crate, I posted a pic it on my first post.  It is covered and den-like and it is what the rescue group recommended.  I always used wire crates for my other 2 and they did fine.

I have never used it for punishment, but since I don't know his history I have no idea what happened to him to make him hate it so much. 

The first 2 weeks were fine, he would whine and cry but he would not destroy the door.  I dont know what happened yesterday that made him want to get out.  Could it be the weather?  It is much warmer so the house is not as cool as it has been.  So maybe he just gets too hot in that crate?

Usually it would not get about 70 inside, in fact would stay around 65 during the day, but the last 2 days have been in the mid 80's so in the house it has been been about 80

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll need to look for one with a metal pan instead of plastic.  I tried putting Kodiak in Nikko's crate and he ate the plastic pan. Well, not sure if he actually consumed it but he broke about 1/3 of it into little pieces

You may actually be better off with a wire crate atleast then some air can flow through it and wont get AS hot

I know this is a really silly question and maybe idea.... have you tried leaving the tv on for him.... I had a dog that would destroy my house if left home alone... unless I left the tv on for him.... it calmed him down and he wouldn't eat 200 dollar pairs of shoe .... maybe it will help.. maybe it won't but anything is worth a shot...

No I haven't tried that. It is worth a shot, I would leave the radio on for my other two when they had SA but now they are fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without wanting to sound harsh, if a dog is consistently trying to break out of a crate it isn't crate trained. More than damaging the crate dogs that try to escape can very seriously injure themselves.

There are military grade crates you can get that are escape proof but they are extremely heavy duty and a determined dog will still be able to injure themselves trying to break out.

We sell and manufacture crates and aside from the military grade crates, dogs can escape from any crate. Addressing their stress at being crated with training is the only way to truly address the problem. :)

Have you tried Kongs etc? When its warm I make sardine or tuna ice cubes for my boys they love them that may help as well or something similar x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I put one in there yesterday and he has a bone in there as well

Without wanting to sound harsh, if a dog is consistently trying to break out of a crate it isn't crate trained. More than damaging the crate dogs that try to escape can very seriously injure themselves.

There are military grade crates you can get that are escape proof but they are extremely heavy duty and a determined dog will still be able to injure themselves trying to break out.

We sell and manufacture crates and aside from the military grade crates, dogs can escape from any crate. Addressing their stress at being crated with training is the only way to truly address the problem. :)

When I got him they told me he was crate trained and for the first 2+ weeks everything seemed fine. On Tuesday was the first time he even tried to escape to my knowledge and was successful.

I have been using all of the methods to make it a place he wants to go. He has a bone and kong in there and I always treat and praise him when he goes in. I never have used it for punishment. One problem is I have no idea how he was treated before so for all I know he was kept in a crate all the time

I would do some training to calm him and make him feel safe in it :) Have you tried covering it also?? Can sometimes make them feel calmer although some dogs just pull them through and rip them up (like mine lol)

You cheated though and had professional help ;)

So, I started using zip ties and that has kept Kodi from escaping, however he is still trying to.  I just noticed today that he has a sore on his muzzle that I think is from him trying to get out.  

When I put him in the crate, I give him a treat, and he has a bone and kong in there with him.  I never use it has punishment, and I have been following all of the crate training rules.  I am not sure what to do besides just let him have free rein of the house, which I really don't want to do yet until I can trust him not to pee and destroy anything.  The times he escaped he only peed ones and got the tissue box.  

I don't want him to hurt himself trying to get out either.  My next move will be getting one of the wire crates with a metal pan and see how that goes.  Maybe he just doesnt like the airline style crate?

Time and a consistant routine...he'll come around. We go to the butcher and get raw cow femur bones and have them cut into 2" lengths. We keep them frozen until we give them to the pups. They seem to keep them busy why we are away. Just a thought. 

The bone he has in there is a cow femur bought from a store.

I know it will take time as did my other two. However my other two never hurt themselves trying to get out.

I have the kong filled with peanut butter and also filed the bone with peanut butter and put them in the freezer.

Hopefully he does not hurt himself. Here is what his muzzle looks like today

post-7184-13678010251643_thumb.jpg

Dexter had such bad anxiety he pushed the metal bars and got the unwelded and then got the bar through his paw- thank god it was at night and we were home. He still has anxiety but the best advice I can say is form a routine suitable to him.

Mine went something like this

6:00a 2 mile walk/ jog

7a mind games: new tricks commands treat puzzles games hide and seek

Play for 10 minutes tug fetch etc

Get ready for work let him calm down

Introduce the crate calmly do not drag you need to get him to go in willingly and calmly leave

It took Dexter 6months he would scream and howl and scratch ( he has the same crate as the first picture) but he willingly goes in there now.

I think your guy is nervous and unsure if this is his forever home so he gets SA and needs to be free

Best of luck

Our routine is:

6am 1 mile walk eat play

8am in crate

12 lunch

1pm crate

4-5pm dinner 2 miles walking, play etc

10pm bed - not in crate

He was ok the first couple of weeks so this trying to escape thing is new. I'm not sure what started it

I'll need to look for one with a metal pan instead of plastic.  I tried putting Kodiak in Nikko's crate and he ate the plastic pan. Well, not sure if he actually consumed it but he broke about 1/3 of it into little pieces

Instead of buying an entirely new crate, you can order a metal pan. Akira ate her plastic one, and we ordered a metal pan. Petco, pet mountain, and amazon should all have them. TAKE GOOD MEASUREMENTS.

Instead of buying an entirely new crate, you can order a metal pan. Akira ate her plastic one, and we ordered a metal pan. Petco, pet mountain, and amazon should all have them. TAKE GOOD MEASUREMENTS.

Actually I would need to get the while crate because Kodiak has the airline style crate not a wire one.

I just want to add ... even if left to roam the house the anxiety may not go away which is what seems to be the problem.

How is he now?

I still find evidence of him trying to break out. I started putting a frozen kong and peanut butter and that keeps him busy for awhile until the peanut butter is gone. I talked to the rescue group and they said that when he figures out he can't get out he will stop. I'm just not sure why he was fine for 2 weeks and then he figures out he can escape. I do understand that since he figured out he can he continues to try.