Hi all !

Blue

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Aww we just love him. He is such a beautiful pup. The questions I have are:-

We are training him to toilet in a certain spot at the end of the garden which i made for him. Do you think this is possible and if so any tips ? When he 'goes' somewhere else what should we do?

Also, we were advised in the pet shop that the best method for house training is using a crate but aren't clear what we are to do i.e. do we leave him in it for the night and keep popping in to let him out for toilet breaks OR should we leave it unlocked with puppy pads outside in the hope that he'll go on there?

We've been given conflicting advice from sooo many people. Some have even said to put puppy pads inside the crate while others have said not to encourage 'going' where he sleeps! During the day he is doing really well and seems to know that he is meant to go outside as there have only been a few accidents in the house during the day. One of our friends suggested that introducing puppy pads in the house would be a bad idea as he may get confused as to where is the right place. - ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated as we are beginning to get very tired of setting our alarm to take turns in letting him out!

Also, could someone enlighten us to what/if any is the difference between a dog that is KC reg and one that comes with a pedigree cert? The breeder we got him from is assuring us that it makes no difference in terms of him being 100% Husky but has implied that we could pay her more to have him KC reg - is it worth doing?

Finally, we have been told that Husky's have very sensitive digestive systems for about the first year of their lives and we should try and stick with the same food for him. The breeder said to give him a mix of wet and dry food but he constantly has diarrohea and the pet shop said we should switch to just dry - what do you think?

Really appreciate any suggestions,

Dale and Caroline (and Blue)

Welcome to the pack - lovely pic!

To answer a few of your q's:

The only way i found of making our dogs go where we expected them to was to physically take them to the spot. If they went else where (its annoying) what can you do apart from clean it up. Im sure if you continue to take Blue to the spot you want him to use - he will get the idea pretty quickly! Huskys are fast learners!

Crate training - during the day time leave the door open for him to wonder in and out of it at his choice. Make sure that it is never used as a punishment i.e. dont lock him in it if he does something wrong. Not too sure about nights - as our girls sleep in our room with us and we only use the crate when we are out at night.

Not sure about KC reg and pedigree cert - but im sure someone else will answer that for you!

Food wise - yep huskys have very sensitive stomachs! If your not happy with the food he is on now it is best to change him over gradually onto something else of your choice - but this must be done gradually and not a straight swap over night. Many people on here feed BARF or a mixture of BARF and dry (kibble). My girls have Kibble most days, supplemented with chikcen wings/ legs, tripe, fish, mince beef, rabbit, etc. Today I managed to get hold of a calf leg bone for them (bloody huge). Hope some of thius helps!

hi, welcome to the pack :)

He's gorgeous!!!!!

with the crate training, I put puppy pads in my boys cage and yes they used them but only took about a month before they didn't need them any more. Like you say, some people prefer not to use them and to take them out throughout the night to train them, TBH that's probably the quicker way but you need to make it fit into your life as well :)

KC reg is where the dog is registered though the kennel club - only the breeder can do this though.

What food are you feeding at present?

hi, welcome to the pack :)

He's gorgeous!!!!!

with the crate training, I put puppy pads in my boys cage and yes they used them but only took about a month before they didn't need them any more. Like you say, some people prefer not to use them and to take them out throughout the night to train them, TBH that's probably the quicker way but you need to make it fit into your life as well :)

KC reg is where the dog is registered though the kennel club - only the breeder can do this though.

What food are you feeding at present?

Thanks

We are feeding him with Purina Beta Puppy Large Breed Kibbles with turkey and rice. http://www.purina-beta.co.uk/products/puppylargebreed.aspx

Do you think this ok ?

Hiya, Dale & Caroline, welcome to the pack :wave:

I'm sorry, but HOW CUTE is that pic of your 2 babies?? They are gorgeous & look like they're already friends for life!

Look forward to chatting with you around here & seeing your journey as Blue grows up & takes over!! :D

Aww thanks. I think they will be best friends. Harley cried the 1st night we got Blue and he had to go to bed !

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Aww we just love him. He is such a beautiful pup. The questions I have are:-

We are training him to toilet in a certain spot at the end of the garden which i made for him. Do you think this is possible and if so any tips ? When he 'goes' somewhere else what should we do?

Also, we were advised in the pet shop that the best method for house training is using a crate but aren't clear what we are to do i.e. do we leave him in it for the night and keep popping in to let him out for toilet breaks OR should we leave it unlocked with puppy pads outside in the hope that he'll go on there?

We've been given conflicting advice from sooo many people. Some have even said to put puppy pads inside the crate while others have said not to encourage 'going' where he sleeps! During the day he is doing really well and seems to know that he is meant to go outside as there have only been a few accidents in the house during the day. One of our friends suggested that introducing puppy pads in the house would be a bad idea as he may get confused as to where is the right place. - ANY suggestions would be very much appreciated as we are beginning to get very tired of setting our alarm to take turns in letting him out!

Also, could someone enlighten us to what/if any is the difference between a dog that is KC reg and one that comes with a pedigree cert? The breeder we got him from is assuring us that it makes no difference in terms of him being 100% Husky but has implied that we could pay her more to have him KC reg - is it worth doing?

Finally, we have been told that Husky's have very sensitive digestive systems for about the first year of their lives and we should try and stick with the same food for him. The breeder said to give him a mix of wet and dry food but he constantly has diarrohea and the pet shop said we should switch to just dry - what do you think?

Really appreciate any suggestions,

Dale and Caroline (and Blue)

Such a great picture! I'm sure they will be friends for life. Almost makes me wish we a baby right now to grow up with Kaiya!

Regarding your questions:

1) They can definitely learn to go to the same spot if you always take him there. Obviously this can be a lot of work though when he needs to go out at 3 in the morning! We Let Kaiya go anywhere in the yard when she is on her leash, but when she is in the kennel we are trying to keep her going in the same bathroom area that I built. One tip we have heard, don't clean it up 100% all of the time. Leaving some poop there will help reinforce the idea that is where they should go.

2) Crate training has worked like a dream for us. As he gets older, he'll get up less through the night and I think by about 10 weeks old we were getting about 6-7 straight hours of sleep. To make things easier, I moved my bed time later so I could take her out one last time. She sleeps in her crate at night but is only in it during the day when there is no other option for us, meaning we can't take her with us for some reason. Fortunately she goes to work with my wife so the daytime is pretty easy. If you are keeping her crate in a different room, I'd suggest a baby monitor so you can hear him get up. I tend to think that if you get him up every 3 hours, you are just reenforcing that schedule and there is potential he won't grow out of it. I tend to think dogs are like people, they don't want to keep waking up either. if you get up on his schedule, he'll keep waiting longer every night.

3) Regarding the training pads, we used them specifically to keep the carpets clean. We realized that every time Kaiya had an accident, it was really because we didn't react to her signs to go out quick enough. She didn't have an accident because she didn't know where to go. When they are only a couple weeks old their bladder just can't hold it long enough. We put the pads at every door in the house. Kaiya would go to a door to go out and if we didn't pick up the sign quick enough, at least there was a pad there. We never put a pad in her crate.

4) No idea about the KC vs. pedigree question

5) Kaiya gets dry food with just a spoonful of wet food morning and night, at lunch it's strictly dry food. We do add a touch of water to the food as well just to soften it as she is teething. Currently she is eating Taste of The Wild Prairie Blend. Now, I've noticed a lot of people on this board aren't in the US, so what I have available may not be what you have available. If he is really having loose poops, part of it could be stress but part of it could be the food as well. unfortunately this is kind of a guessing game as every husky is different. We would look up the information on different foods from dogfoodanalysis.com. That site will tell you what foods are "good" but it can't tell you what your pup will like.

Sorry for being so long winded, hope I was able to help and welcome to the site! We're new here to!

Such a great picture! I'm sure they will be friends for life. Almost makes me wish we a baby right now to grow up with Kaiya!

Regarding your questions:

1) They can definitely learn to go to the same spot if you always take him there. Obviously this can be a lot of work though when he needs to go out at 3 in the morning! We Let Kaiya go anywhere in the yard when she is on her leash, but when she is in the kennel we are trying to keep her going in the same bathroom area that I built. One tip we have heard, don't clean it up 100% all of the time. Leaving some poop there will help reinforce the idea that is where they should go.

2) Crate training has worked like a dream for us. As he gets older, he'll get up less through the night and I think by about 10 weeks old we were getting about 6-7 straight hours of sleep. To make things easier, I moved my bed time later so I could take her out one last time. She sleeps in her crate at night but is only in it during the day when there is no other option for us, meaning we can't take her with us for some reason. Fortunately she goes to work with my wife so the daytime is pretty easy. If you are keeping her crate in a different room, I'd suggest a baby monitor so you can hear him get up. I tend to think that if you get him up every 3 hours, you are just reenforcing that schedule and there is potential he won't grow out of it. I tend to think dogs are like people, they don't want to keep waking up either. if you get up on his schedule, he'll keep waiting longer every night.

3) Regarding the training pads, we used them specifically to keep the carpets clean. We realized that every time Kaiya had an accident, it was really because we didn't react to her signs to go out quick enough. She didn't have an accident because she didn't know where to go. When they are only a couple weeks old their bladder just can't hold it long enough. We put the pads at every door in the house. Kaiya would go to a door to go out and if we didn't pick up the sign quick enough, at least there was a pad there. We never put a pad in her crate.

4) No idea about the KC vs. pedigree question

5) Kaiya gets dry food with just a spoonful of wet food morning and night, at lunch it's strictly dry food. We do add a touch of water to the food as well just to soften it as she is teething. Currently she is eating Taste of The Wild Prairie Blend. Now, I've noticed a lot of people on this board aren't in the US, so what I have available may not be what you have available. If he is really having loose poops, part of it could be stress but part of it could be the food as well. unfortunately this is kind of a guessing game as every husky is different. We would look up the information on different foods from dogfoodanalysis.com. That site will tell you what foods are "good" but it can't tell you what your pup will like.

Sorry for being so long winded, hope I was able to help and welcome to the site! We're new here to!

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions. Added to your rep. Toilet training has been good today ! Nothing in the house since last night and I have taking him to his spot to do it. A couple of time when he has been off his lead he has done it really close by but not in his spot, but im happy with that. Also been teaching him his name, dont think that is going well but its still early days ! How long do you think training a pup to do stuff takes? Are they quick learners ? Is it weeks or months ?

Thanks for taking the time to answer some of our questions. Added to your rep. Toilet training has been good today ! Nothing in the house since last night and I have taking him to his spot to do it. A couple of time when he has been off his lead he has done it really close by but not in his spot, but im happy with that. Also been teaching him his name, dont think that is going well but its still early days ! How long do you think training a pup to do stuff takes? Are they quick learners ? Is it weeks or months ?

I'm sure he'll start to pick up on his name soon, just keep using it all the time. Huskies are good learners, but they can be stubborn when they want to be. Each one will be different though and have their own learning speed. Kaiya is our first puppy that we have raised so we are learning as we go as well.

Hi everyone,

We are Dale and Caroline and we have a 7 week old Husky Pup called Blue

Here is Blue with our son

Photo0603.jpg

Hoping to get some tips and some guidence from some of you soon. Got a few questions to ask some of you more experinced Husky owners.

Speak soon.

What a great picture welcome on board :)

I'm sure he'll start to pick up on his name soon, just keep using it all the time. Huskies are good learners, but they can be stubborn when they want to be. Each one will be different though and have their own learning speed. Kaiya is our first puppy that we have raised so we are learning as we go as well.

We just want to get it right with him if you know what I mean. We had a brief training session tonight and I was calling him by his name and rewarding him with a few treats. He actually came as well. How is your training going ? How old is Kaiya ?

We just want to get it right with him if you know what I mean. We had a brief training session tonight and I was calling him by his name and rewarding him with a few treats. He actually came as well. How is your training going ? How old is Kaiya ?

oh that's great! It won't take long for them to learn their name :)

With the toilet training, each sibe is different, can take weeks can take a month or 2 but you soon forget about it - it wont be long now before you look back and think oh i want another - toilet training wasnt that bad lol

oh that's great! It won't take long for them to learn their name :)

With the toilet training, each sibe is different, can take weeks can take a month or 2 but you soon forget about it - it wont be long now before you look back and think oh i want another - toilet training wasnt that bad lol

We will see, we are really going for it at the moment as we have just started potty training our son as well so we have got our hands full ! :eeek: