Hi all !

Blue

We just want to get it right with him if you know what I mean. We had a brief training session tonight and I was calling him by his name and rewarding him with a few treats. He actually came as well. How is your training going ? How old is Kaiya ?

We got lucky with Kaiya, the breeder asked us at about two weeks old what we were going to name her so she got an early jump on learning her name. We picked her up at 8 weeks and she already knew it. Training for us has gone better than I had expected it to, granted it could be going better but I'm not going to complain.

Couple things we have learned from our "trainer" (fortunately she is our neighbor and friend, lol) is to never let a training opportunity escape you. Training doesn't always have to be done in structured sessions, we always keep treats in our pocket so when we are out and about and the opportunity to use a specifc command comes up, we are ready. When we take her out and she does her business, we have treats to reward her.

She also taught us to bring out the big guns for treats when we are doing something exciting. When we go to the dog park or hiking, Kaiya won't respond to plain old dog treats very well, so we take ham or cheese. Just something she doesn't get all the time. This is really helpful as these are the times you really want them to respond, but a puppy attention span is very short.

Another thing that has worked really well for us, and I think this may vary depending on the husky, Kaiya is very "toy" driven. This is really helpful to turn play sessions into training sessions and not have to give her 100 treats a day.

Oh, and Kaiya just turned 4 months old yesterday. I'd suggest taking tons of pictures... they get big fast! Kaiya was 5 pounds when we got her at 8 weeks old, little smaller than Blue it looks like, and now at 4 months old she is 30 pounds!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic