My boyfriend's Border Collie is not doing well...

My boyfriend Skip who is currently living with me has 3 dogs. There are Bear (Jack Russell/American Bulldog mix) and Tika (Viggo's brother of course), who are at my house and then there is Rascal (border collie) who is staying with a very good friend.

Yesterday, Skip received some sad news from his friend. Apparently, Rascal was having some trouble moving around. He was literally dragging his back legs as he was trying to walk. His friend took Rascal to the vet immediately, where he was diagnosed with a slipped disc in his back. There was a lot of swelling so the vet gave him some steroids in hope the swelling would subside. The vet also kep Rascal overnight.

Today, things are worse. Rascal is not even making an effort to move now. The vet explained to my boyfriend that probably the only option at this point is surgery. This surgery will cost 4-5 thousand dollars and there is absolutely no guarantee that it will work. Additionally, the recovery period is extremely difficult as Rascal would have to be kept in a crate all day long for a couple of weeks (to prevent movement) or so and he would ahve to be carried up and down steps. Skip does not feel this is fair to the dog. Rascal is an extremely active border collie- forcing him to be still seems so sad.

My boyfriend is getting a 2nd opinion from another vet, but he has decided that if this vet agress with the first vet, he will probably elect to have Rascal put down. :-(

Rascal is 10 years old. Please keep him in your thoughts.

tikaandbrothers.jpg

(Rascal, Tika, and Bear)

poor rascal! hope hes ok soon

bings suffered a similar thing n ended up with 3 crushed discs in the lower part of his spine - he couldnt walk for a week but whilst he still walks with a limp and his leg will sometimes slip from underhim hes fine and can still outrun blaze and skyla - hopefully rascal will recover just as well xxx

I hope that you can come up with some other options... I'm currently keeping my 9 year old, Trooper, crated for weeks on end (a very hyper-active Siberian) while he recovers from a torn cruciate. He won't stay off it - bounces like a crazy dog pretty much non-stop, so he's taking a mild sedative to keep him quiet enough to allow him to heal without going totally insane - and taking him with me 'round the bend!

• 2 weeks later...

First off, my apologies for neglecting this thread, but I've been busy with holiday stuff and work.

I have an update on Rascal. My boyfriend and his friend Perry decided to bring Rascal to Perry's home and try crate-rest. I'm happy to report that Rascal is doing much better. He is walking again, but sometimes his legs slip out from under him. He has improved dramatically though and my fingers are crossed that he will continue to do so.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and thoughts!! :-)

First off, my apologies for neglecting this thread, but I've been busy with holiday stuff and work.

I have an update on Rascal. My boyfriend and his friend Perry decided to bring Rascal to Perry's home and try crate-rest. I'm happy to report that Rascal is doing much better. He is walking again, but sometimes his legs slip out from under him. He has improved dramatically though and my fingers are crossed that he will continue to do so.

Thanks for all of the well wishes and thoughts!! :)

glad to hear hes doing ok - bings leg sometimes slip from under him still too but it gets better

hugs x