Foster homes wanted for S.H.A.R.E husky rescue

TalaKai

It's sad how alot of us have huskies that are loved and cared for our dogs are fit, healthy and happy, but it does not matter how experienced we are a lot of us would not pass.

If they took into account that we keep our dogs safe, more of these dogs would be living in loving homes right now and not in rescue.

oh i know it's the insurace that made the rule about a 6 ft fence but i feel they need to look at the people more than a fence. just my opinion xxxx

It also depends upon the dog. We fostered Mia last November when she came in pregnant, starving and suffering from pneumonia. It wasn't until March when she was fully recovered and back to full strength that we discovered that she was an Olympic standard high jumper. A 6 foot fence didn't even slow her down. We had hell's own job trying to find a secure new home for her and in the end we found that she had wormed her way so far into our hearts that we decided to keep her and make her a permanent member of our pack. All our fences are now a minimum of 8 feet, but I think she could still clear them if she really wanted to.

Mick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what I find a little strange with the insurance ruling - a minimum 6' fence would, to be fair keep very few huskies in! But I'm assuming they have done some homework to have come up with it as part of their detailing. I know people who have been passed by one rescue but not another, so for any prospective fosterers, please look into that particular rescue's requirements .... and good luck on being able to help out, those poor dogs need all the help they can get

I put up a 6 foot fence in my 1st home right before I got Dakota and it took him less than a week to learn he could push the bottom of the fence and break it! We spent 8 years there and I couldn't even allow him free roam of that huge back yard! I would love to foster over here in the states but the house we have now has no yard to fence.

I have never had a home cheack so don't now if I would pass or not. Have 6ft fence mostly round then the other half is 8ft even the back gate. So think I would pass that. My house is a little on the small size but I walk 2hrs morning and an hour in the evening give or take a few mins.

Hubby wont let me have a third as most you know I am so broody for a boy doggie to come join my pack. Hubby did say I could foster ooooo exciting but I know I would come attached so would not be able to let go. So think thats a fail. :( Unless i try I wont now though I may be glad to find them a new home oh but the new owners might not be good enough ooooooooo getting in a pickle know thinking and typing out load...lol.

I will shut up now. May have to get rid of Hubby..........lol

Diane, you guys know if you ever have any down my end and need an emergancy stop over that I'm here. I unfortunatly am not in a possition to long term foster but a week or two wouldn't go a miss. I would pass home check, I had SHWA over a while ago and they told me what I needed to do to secure the garden. We have a 7 foot fence at the back, 6 at the sides. 2 bolts on the back gate and slabs/concrete down both sides. But I do have a kid so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

from my experience of fostering fencing is only a teeny weeky element. you need to be confident at getting amungst a fight if it happens and be able to put in suitable training to rehabilite the dog so it can be rehomed again. you need facilities to split them up when left or just some quiet time even if this is a crate.

ive had 10 fosters and its damn hard work especially in the first week or so as i wont let them be alone even while i go for a shower. however its so rewarding

Foster homes are required to help a newly established Husky Rescue .....homecheck is required ....please can anybody help ?

We are moving in 3 weeks time, and once settled would like to consider fostering, but would like a lot more info' first. Can you provide me with a list of home checks undertaken? Also, what makes an 'ideal' fosterer?

• 2 months later...

I'd be glad to foster and I'm pretty sure I'd pass home-check (I've checked. My fence is taller than 6 ft) but I am pretty sure these doggies won't be glad to fly to Indo :( all fingers and paws crossed for the foster-needing dogs. Hopefully ideal fosterers would come up quick :)