New - Jasmin, Husky/Doberman mix

post-7590-0-49220500-1360543064_thumb.jp

Hi, new to the site. This is my dog Jasmin. She's about 7 months old now. Adopted her from the shelter at 4 mo of age (owner surrender of 4 puppies. owner had both parents and said they were husky/doberman mixes). We, for fun, did the doggy DNA test, and it did show 50% husky/50% doberman. Jasmin is a lovely girl, has the doberman trot and markings but the husky ears/tail/howl and PULL! She has done well in basic obedience (other than pulling!) I think the doberman in her wants to comply, but sometimes the husky part says "uh, not right now" lol. Hope to learn alot from the forum. Especially if anyone has any ideas on not pulling on the walk. I use a martingale collar on her. I don't want to use a prong collar, and haven't as of yet. I've tried the redirection with treats per the trainer, and it's still a battle (especially while also walking our two other dogs as well)! Thanks!

post-6062-13585992978065_thumb.jpg

post-6062-13585992980601_thumb.jpg

Welcome! What an interesting mix, she looks beautiful :)

Martingales are great collars, I use one on my pup and he does alright until he sees a squirrel or something lol. There's lots of good advice for walking in the training section of the forum! And while prong collars have a bad rep, if you research the proper way (or perhaps ask your trainer?) to use it and get the correct size for your dog, they can be as harmless as any other tool out there :)

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif What a lovely girl!

She is more likely to pull while you're walking her with other dogs - many of them have "lead-dog syndrome" - they LOVE to be in front of everyone else! I would work with her on this by stopping when she's pulling, telling her "easy" or some other command that works well for you. When there is slack on the lead, you go forward again - until she's once again pulling! If you keep this up and are consistent - it may take a considerable amount of time for you to wear her down to where she's resigned - she will eventually get the idea that if she wants to continue, she can't pull. I usually will allow my guys to go out to the end of the leash. They're usually pretty good after we've gone a ways about not pulling - but usually need a reminder or two that no, it's STILL not ok to yank my arms out!

Welcome to the pack. My first dog was a dob and she could pull like a train. So don't think that it's just the husky element. Good advice from Gigi. I'm doing the same sort of thing and it's hard work but even atfter a week things are much better.

Thanks for the welcome wishes. I have been looking at the training sections and implemented some of the suggestions re: pulling and it has helped. Actually, the person who suggested she has lead dog syndrome may have hit on it. I have begun walking her separately and she pulls much less. Thanks again!