Tie out line

Well, I'm not meaning to highjack the thread, but since there's no question posted, I was wondering if a stake would really be effective with a husky. Could a husky pull it out of the ground?

Also, what kind of tie-outs are you using? I was browsing a few online stores but most of the tie-outs I found just had a generic statement "high-breaking point" or "suitable for all breeds" . Is that really accurate or would it be possible for a husky to snap one of those?

Personally, I would make one out of something like airline cable, or something similar. It's coated with plastic, so isn't as likely to rub and hurt the dog or it's legs, and would be less likely to wrap tightly around a leg, unlike a chain or rope. It's also very strong. I would use a snap or clip of brass, too, rather than one of the chrome-plated ones - stronger, and less likely to freeze in cold weather (even though it doesn't get as cold, generally, there as it does here.

Becky/Austinville has one that is attached to another cable that is stretched between a tree and her back porch. This way, Ryn can run out along the length of the longer line, as well as the one that attaches to her collar. She isn't left out there when she isn't supervised for any length of time, btw.

We use two plastic covered wire stake-out lines each with 6 swivel tie outs for our dogs. We use them when we are training or at rallies, and when we are doing hug-a-husky events for SHWA. They are really strong and we've never had a problem with the dogs pulling out the heavy metal stakes.

Yately6.jpg

Pawskent12.jpg

Mick

Hi, Thanks for all the replies. I was just interested to see if they would be a good option in a garden if you needed to leave a dog outside rather than locked in the kitchen for a couple of hours. I was more keen on the trolley systems but wasnt sure of the strength? I guess there is a chance they might get tangelled when your away which wouldn't be good.

I personally wouldnt have mine staked out unless I was there.

I use a stake with a cable and a shock absorber attachment - exactly like the set up Sarah posted above. I only use it when we're camping and under supervision.

Stacey xxx

• Like 1

Well I don't know if they would get tangled in the ones with plastic covering...

I know for a fact that when we used a rope for ours (only when supervised, I don't really trust him not to chew the rope) he got tangled pretty often. Looking forward to hear more opinions.

i use a teether stake at each end linked via chain with chains then linking off to their collars..once driven into the ground will be very sturdy..

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?cat=clips and shackles

go to bottom of page and you will see what i mean.. i know people use the kind of wire trace line like the one Mick uses and some use teether stakes and chain.. its each to there own preference but myself persoanlly i am not a liker of the wire trace style.. i think unlike a chain if they get caught around a dog they wont loosen as easily as a chain.. and in my opinion thats not the risk i want to take..

i also use the the screw ones like Sarah showed but only for the Shelties.. they are great if you have a calm dog but would be no good for me to use with mine as they can get excited and easily pull them out of the ground or break..

im interested to know about this as im going camping in september and taking the boys and i want to tie them out so any links to what i need to get would be great! And how long a line is a good idea as i want them to be able to move about to some extent obviously

• 8 years later...

I have a male husky, 1 yr old. Had him tied to a cable and stake in the ground. Had the cable attached to his harness. Was watching him out the window, he saw a cat, went from 0-100 in a second. When he reached the end of the cable, just kept going. The D ring on the harness tore out. We were lucky, he only went a couple of houses down and we were able to get him to come back. But now I'm afraid to put him out again. He's very strong when he pulls and I'm worried the cable or harness will fail again. Any suggestions on a brand of harness and cable that are husky proof. Our yard isn't fenced and I know he wants to go play outside. 

• 2 weeks later...

You got lucky, that's for sure. The greatest danger to a husky is a husky itself.

It's just a question of time when , instead of the cat, it will be a bitch in heat, and then he may seriously hurt himself, assuming stronger harness/cables.

I'm afraid, the only way to fully husky-proof your yard, is what you heard dozen times :

1. Put concrete slab on the floor - FULL FLOOR

2. Enclose the whole area with double fence

3. Put roof over it (forget anti-roll bars)

Do not use wood anywhere. My Husky has managed to chew through actual door in less than 30 minutes. A Wooden fence wouldn't present an obstacle for more than 15 minutes...

• 1 year later...

I have a Husky/Malamute that is bigger than both of his parents.  He's ~9 now, but still manages to break his leads.  I have a 50ft run of heavy aircraft cable between 2 auger style stakes (used for holding large trees up - get them at Home Depot) and a strong pulley attached to a 15ft 3000lbs cable with snap connectors on both ends.  He usually breaks the 15ft cable every 2 years (just broke again last night) and the run every 3 years.  The run is attached to the stakes with quick links at either end for easy removal when I need to mow the yard (stakes are flush to the ground).

Of course, the cables always break at the most inopportune times.  Right now, I have contractors replacing the sewer pipes into the basement, so the yard has a trench dug out and dirt piled against the gate to the fence (hence the need to tie him up again).  And Home Depot is 45 minutes away.