My husky wont play fetch :(

Hello!

My husky wont play fetch with me D=, I've used rope toys, teddies, squeekers, tennis balls, but nothing. She will pick it up every now and again, but not very often and soon gets distracted.

I've tried acting like it's the most amazing thing in the world, and she's still not interested. If I use my clicker when she actually picks it up she just becomes more interested in the food.

I just want to be able to play with my dog D=

Any ideas?

Stacey xxx

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some dogs just aren't interested in fetch, though if you want to, you can shape them to pick things up and bring them to you. I did this for the retrieve exercise in obedience because my dog is not a natural retriever :)

If she's more interested in the food than the object when you are clicker training take it a step back and shape it. C/T for ANY behaviour towards the item you want her to pick up - looking at it, touching it etc.

This article explains it well:

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

Fox loves fetch....

he just won't play it.

Sounds strange but really that's the case...when we're at the dog park and someone else is playing fetch with their dog...he will run with the dog going after it's ball...he generally keeps pace with however fast or slow the other dog is running...and if it's an older dog he'll give it a head start.

no interest in the actual ball...just in the running with another dog.

So yes, Fox loves fetch...he just doesn't do it himself.

Huskies are not retrievers...unless of course you toss a mouse or a bunny...then they might bring it back with a big, proud, husky smile!

lol Blaze plays - but he is the only 1 out of my 3

JcDi0rrb1uw

Fox loves fetch....

he just won't play it.

Sounds strange but really that's the case...when we're at the dog park and someone else is playing fetch with their dog...he will run with the dog going after it's ball...he generally keeps pace with however fast or slow the other dog is running...and if it's an older dog he'll give it a head start.

no interest in the actual ball...just in the running with another dog.

So yes, Fox loves fetch...he just doesn't do it himself.

fox sounds like skyla lol

Haha this topic is funny. Huskies can be so stubborn!

I'll give my two cents, even though I've only had my puppy for a week and two days: Lucy plays fetch halfway. I can throw a toy and she'll go catch it so long as she is in a toy chasing mood-I swear she has more moods than a teenager! Once she gets to the toy she pounces on it and either chews on it, carries it elsewhere, or just walks away uninterested. I figure halfway is better than a quarter of the way!

I think its alot down to personality stuff like that, it took Nukka a little while to get it but she will now play fetch for ages! But Shadow is just not interested at all! He doesnt really do toys much he'll make an effort for the first few minutes (like say with fetch he'll chase the ball, or with tug he'll grab the toy and pull for abit) but he looses interst very quickly!

What does Aleu do? Does she chase but not bring back or does she just stand there looking at you? If she'll chase it maybe just get a load of balls and just chuck them one at a time get her chasing them and picking them up at least so shes sort of playing with you? Move from there? And like Nix said theres always tug games or you can do hide the toy? you hide it maybe with some smellky reward in it so she can sniff it out and is motivated to find the toy! Sometimes just getting on the floor with them and sorta chasing around the room can get them playing but it depends like I said on her personality as to what kind of games she likes?

most huskies won't play fetch I have heard. But mine does lol. He will fetch allllllll day until he gets tired. I didn't teach him that he kinda learned it on his own as a puppy. I think he just wants us to play tug-o-war with his toy and keeps bringing it back to do so lol. he's probably like "why the heck do they keep throwing it away?" lol laugh.gif

Our two are not interested either, throw a ball for Darwin and he looks at you "What? . . .What ?"

Daughtry will chase a small bouncy ball around the floor.

But neither will retrieve a ball.

Throw a ball at Darwin to catch and it will bounce off his head every time.

Echo (our GSD) on the other hand will play fetch until she collapses from exhaustion. biggrin.gif

Hmm, maybe it's a husky thing then lol.

Aleu will sometimes bring her ball or tug toy back. She will do it about.. twice and then just runs at the ball and past it, or she runs at it and straight back.

If I try to play tug of war with her, she will play for about a minute and then she gets bored.

She loves playing "find" though. I put her in a seperate room, rub a toy with my scent, hide it, then I bring her back in, get her to sniff my hand and then she is focused on searching it until she finds it. I could do that with her all afternoon.

Stacey xxx

Hi guys, please do not play fetch with tennis balls unless your dog have their puppy teeth. (which will fall out ofcourse)

The glue that holds the tennis ball together reacts with the saliva in the dogs mouth causing a chemical reaction which eats teeth enamel

- You can use tennis balls in the sea as the water washes away the saliva

Good post Mark

+1

Hi guys, please do not play fetch with tennis balls unless your dog have their puppy teeth. (which will fall out ofcourse)

The glue that holds the tennis ball together reacts with the saliva in the dogs mouth causing a chemical reaction which eats teeth enamel

- You can use tennis balls in the sea as the water washes away the saliva

Hmm, maybe it's a husky thing then lol.

Aleu will sometimes bring her ball or tug toy back. She will do it about.. twice and then just runs at the ball and past it, or she runs at it and straight back.

If I try to play tug of war with her, she will play for about a minute and then she gets bored.

Micha my Siberian plays fetch quite a bit - he loves it.

A minute is quite a long time for a dog to play tug to begin with, it is quite a high energy activity. If I am playing tug I ALWAYS do it in short bursts and always finish when my dog is going nuts for it so I leave them wanting more (and I always take the tug toy and put it away). If I was being really serious about increasing the time and keenness they have for playing tug I would take all their toys away to start with, and use their favourite toy to play a tug game with.