My husky wont play fetch :(

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kodah cared about his balls, then they got chopped off last week :o

LOL.

I didn't know that about tennis balls... why do so many companies sell tennis balls as pets for dogs? Like kong tennis balls; I brought a pack of 4 tennis balls for Aleu which are by a pet company.

Stacey xxx

Thanks Meesh, and sorry Stacey I have no idea... Many companies make and sell toys for dogs which are unsafe. You only need to wonder down the dog isle in pets@home and you can start picking out toys which can cause problems for your dog. I'm afraid many companies only care about making money and not the welfare of our animals.

Perhaps the ones you have bought use a different type of glue? If so they should have printed this on the packaging, if not I would not use them myself to be safe

Well I know i made the comment about tossing a mouse or bunny, but in reality, Andy will play fetch, and in fact surprised us the first week that he was really interested. It got him really excited and then got him running around the yard. Jackson doesn't know how to play, but is learning, and they will now play tug of war together...as you can see on the You Tube video...(take the link below). My Husky Stormy never knew how to play anything, but her Labrador brother lived for tennis balls, and always had two. When he would run back with the balls Stormy would chase him and try to get them away from him, but didn't do anything afterwards.

She loves playing "find" though. I put her in a seperate room, rub a toy with my scent, hide it, then I bring her back in, get her to sniff my hand and then she is focused on searching it until she finds it. I could do that with her all afternoon.

Stacey xxx

You might want to try to find a group that does search and rescue, and see if they can help you train her to track for that. I knew of several Siberians involved in that when I lived near Chicago, and they did quite well!

its a husky not a lab or retriever.

Sorry I took that a little rude. I know that huskies aren't intended to retrieve but some huskies do find fetch very enjoyable and do retrieve very well.

I was hoping my girl would find it enjoyable, if not, then never mind.

Stacey xxx

Sorry I took that a little rude. I know that huskies aren't intended to retrieve but some huskies do find fetch very enjoyable and do retrieve very well.

I was hoping my girl would find it enjoyable, if not, then never mind.

Stacey xxx

While Huskies may not be intended to retrieve, they do have a lot of similar behaviors to retrievers...especially using their noses. Some retrievers don't even retrieve unless they are trained to do. I think the thing with Huskies that is really different is they can be so aloof in personality, even when they haven't been before. I often wonder about their higher levels of thinking, even though, again, dogs aren't supposed to do that, I often see Andy thinking through a behavior! They tend to be far more intentional than any other dog I've ever known. I doubt anyone on here is trying to be rude...sometimes postings, like email, come across rude when in fact they are meant to be humorous. Hope you are not offended!:D

Could we perhaps start a separate discussion about the tennis ball glue? I've never heard about this and have been using the Kong football-shaped tennis ball with Lucy. Maybe it's time I get her another ball. Zani, perhaps you should start it since you first brought this up. I bet a lot of us haven't heard about this before. Thanks for the warning!

In my experience they aren't big fetch-players.

My German Shepherd likes it, the rest don't care except one of my Sibe X Mals, and he just LOVES it and is great at it. But for instance if I throw a ball for my Sibe boy, he'll just give me a blank look, like, "what do you expect me to do with that?!"

Ryn will fetch for a couple of throws, then she's done. Bo never did. He was under the impression that if I wanted that darn thing that badly I shouldn't have thrown it in the first place.

The key to Ryn's playing is that I always stop playing before she does. That way, she can't get bored and decide she no longer wants to play. Gotta keep one step ahead of these huskies of ours!