Hey from Buffalo!

Hey guys, I'm a 19 year old college student and I'm in love with huskies! The only problem is, I don't have one anymore! :(

In September 2007 when I was a senior in High School my mother brought up the idea of getting a husky and I was pretty indifferent. She had found one at the local SPCA though and brought home a beautiful 3-year old Siberian Husky female that we named Chloe. Chloe had the split eye which I found very cool. At first I didn't care much for her but I soon warmed up to her when I realized how amazing huskies are. She was so mysterious and elegent, I love the fact that she howled instead of barking (though she almost never made noise).

She was very affectionate and playful. She loved lounging in the snow, it was pretty funny to see her laying comfortably in a pile of snow with temperatures in the low teens. However, there were lots of problems.

She was not good with my 9-year old cat. She would chase himwhenever she saw him, and he avoided her at all costs, which made me feel bad for the kitty. I don't know if she would ever hurt him, but it was a scary thought.

She would shed, a lot. and it was hard to keep up with.

She chewed up some remotes, but it wasn't really that bad. She also had a few accidents in the house, but they weren't frequent.

The real problem, though, was that she loved to run, as all huskies do. We don't have a big backyard and we don't have it fenced in. When we let her outside we would attach her to a 25-foot leash that was chained to the ground, but it wasn't enough. I took her running at the baseball diamond a few times a week, but it wasn't enough for her. Whenever she had the chance, she would take off and run away. It was scary because there was always a chance she could get hit by a car. We usually chased her down but sometimes we couldn't in which case she would wander back hours later.

These problems escalated as I went away to college in the fall. My mother couldn't handle all of Chloe's demands and I was horrified to discover when I came home for break that she had given her away to a better home. Ever since, I've been terribly depressed over losing Chloe but I have transferred somewhere local so I'm living at home. I'm hoping to be able to find a husky somewhere but they're pretty rare and it's tough. Anyways that's my story :)

Welcome to the site, awwwww what a sad story, i suppose it's better for Chloe as she will get what she needs, but not good for you hun.

Take your time, have a look round and see what issues other people have on here and in the meatime, keep looking, good things come to those who wait, i'm sure that you will find the right one for you x

What a sad story, but as Sarah says, it's good for Chloe that she can be somewhere she can have the time dedicated to her...so sorry you had to lose her though.

i have waited many many years for my husky, so it will happen...may just take longer than you first think!

So sorry...I hope that someday you'll have another - it will be easier now that you know the "pitfalls" of breed. We've all had our problems with Siberians and hopefully you can use what you've learned, as well as what others have learned, and make your next relationship with a husky one for a life time. Welcome!

Do you guys think that it's cruel that I had Chloe on a rope when she went outside? Every site I've went on to look for huskies has it as a requirement that you have a large fenced in yard.

Its a hard question to answer is it fit for purpose how long is Chloe on said rope does she look like she is happy I find with huskies you can uselly tell, am not keen on the idea of any dog being tied up for long periods of time it is cruel and its probably for the best that your mum let her go to a better home.

Please wait till your 100% sure you got time and the correct environment for any pet before you get one.