Home automation

Marc

Been a while since I posted anything up in here, so thought I would see how many people are getting into the whole home automation thing. With things coming out with the echo, hive, nest, hue etc, more and more people are automating things. 

For me, I've been automating quite a few things lately. Stopped doing it so much as it could quickly cost a fortune and money going on other things, but eventually I will be doing the whole house. 

• Amazon echo in livingroom, office, diningroom, kitchen, bedroom
  • Smart light switches in livingroom, office, bedroom (and one for the diningroom once I get it put in)
  • Smart socket in livingroom for lamps
  • Hive bulb in bathroom and spare bedroom
  • Hue bulb in Matthews bedroom
  • Hive heating thermostat control

Essentially means that I can control at least the main lights I use, the heating, and lamp by voice control or on my mobile app. 

I am planning on automating some of the TV stuff, as I already have the gear here to do it. Just havent got around to playing with it as of yet.

• Like 3

I'm still not sold on the idea of having a connected listening device monitoring what I say 24/7
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2018/apr/11/shhh-alexa-might-be-listening

I know they don't currently but I think there is a limit of tech I like to use and it's benefit. Don't currently have any automation but like the idea of controlled lights!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

We do not have a "smart" house. Well, it should be smart because we bought it.[emoji23]
But there are too many HACKERS out there that think they're smart[emoji985]️[emoji848][emoji851], and they can control your house "for you"... so unwanted. I know it's fun to talk to "Alexa" and say, "Alexa, turn off the lights," "Alexa, turn up the music," "Lock the doors," etc. But...can these "smart" home devices make you dinner and bring it to you on the couch??🤣 Well, I might be sold on it then!![emoji502][emoji493][emoji39]
But... I think all that smart stuff is making this world LAZY!! And "that" is not smart.
[emoji848][emoji432][emoji6][emoji38]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

• Like 1

A tv company was recently busted for recording  and using voice's it heard around the tv i think they even sold the data mined that way

As to smart tech until they have ultra high level secuirty i will not even think about it last year a bunch of huge DDos attacks on networks were back traced to jacked smart devices like light switches etc as at the time they were too easy to hack and being connected to wifi home networks it gave them a back door in like the old hack the printer  back door that has mostkly been fixed now

• Like 1

I always look at the security of these things and think to myself, ok so they might be 'listening to me' or 'someone might hack it', but then think 'And do what?'. Sure they can advertise crap to me, but I spend my life on the internet, that already happens. Sure they could sell my data, but then anyone who thinks their data isnt being sold around the world already simply doesnt know anything about technology. As far hacking, what are they going to do? Turn off my light? I'm more bothered about ensuring there is a decent lock on my door than someone turning off a light in my house.

• Like 2

I always look at the security of these things and think to myself, ok so they might be 'listening to me' or 'someone might hack it', but then think 'And do what?'. Sure they can advertise crap to me, but I spend my life on the internet, that already happens. Sure they could sell my data, but then anyone who thinks their data isnt being sold around the world already simply doesnt know anything about technology. As far hacking, what are they going to do? Turn off my light? I'm more bothered about ensuring there is a decent lock on my door than someone turning off a light in my house.

Yeah but they might hear me talking to my husky and pass the voice recording to my missus who will hear me saying "you're my number one girl" [emoji28]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ha ha ha. I get around that by saying, "You're my best Furry one!" 

My Wishes for Home Tech:
I wish I could figure out how to Undisplay the 994 cable channels that we don't subscribe to / can't watch...
I wish I could hook up a little webcam so I can log in on my iphone and see what Rumo actually does when we are out...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, petertmartin said:

Yeah but they might hear me talking to my husky and pass the voice recording to my missus who will hear me saying "you're my number one girl" emoji28.png

Alexa will then pop up with "I don't understand that!" in a fit of jealousy :D

11 minutes ago, Shepsky5 said:

I wish I could hook up a little webcam so I can log in on my iphone and see what Rumo actually does when we are out...

Oh, actually thats something else that we have. 

This is actually quite cheap to do these days with a wireless IP camera. I think ours cost about £30

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Shepsky5 said:

I wish I could figure out how to Undisplay the 994 cable channels that we don't subscribe to / can't watch...

we put the ones we can watch in a sep favourite section by moving them into it...which system do you use?

Well, we are in USA with AT&T UVerse!

We have the cheapest plan...thus very few channels.

I can hide unsubscribed channels, but I have to scroll through and uncheck them one by one...there are like, over 2000...well, I guess I should google it!. It would be great to just create a little section with favorite channels, will see if that’s possible. 

”wireless ip camera”? Thanks for tip!   ( Hoping to get really boring footage...my dog, napping....)

• Like 1

My favorite thing I have is the Nest thermostat.  I can control it from my phone, any computer and set it on a schedule with as many changes as I want.  I also have a sensor upstairs, so during the night it will go off there, so it will heat/cool based on where you are at.  I also have the Phillips Hue lights, which I really like.  I can set them to come on when I get home, and have different light colors. 

I did have the Amazon Echo, but after about a week I unplugged it because it got on my nerves lol. 

One thing I did have that I really liked, if it would have worked properly was this device that controlled my garage door opener with an app...But it would stop working or it would open randomly during the day

• Like 1

Wow very cutting edge!

Er, I can see how garage door opening at random times of day could be a problem...

feeling proud!  we put the 18 channels we watch, into a favorites section and found a yellow button on the remote...press that and you will only see your “favorites”!!  Woohoo! No more scrolling through 2000 channels! Good tip from Robke 😀

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

Wow very cutting edge!

Er, I can see how garage door opening at random times of day could be a problem...

feeling proud!  we put the 18 channels we watch, into a favorites section and found a yellow button on the remote...press that and you will only see your “favorites”!!  Woohoo! No more scrolling through 2000 channels! Good tip from Robke 😀

you are welcome...

Bearing in mind I used to lecture in IT  -  I dont own anything 'smart'  -  I am distrustful of anything that is or could be listening to me in order to make my life 'easier'  -  the camera on my computer has sticky tape over it, the microphone is disabled.   My one exception is a sat nav  -  I've no sense of direction whatsoever.   If I want a light on  -  I get up and put it on  (its about the only exercise I get anyway).    Hubby's mobile does not even have a camera, - very basic model  calls and text only,  my son bought my phone  - internet capable (not used and not set  up)  camera (dont know how to use it)  its permanently off unless I am travelling to my son's home in Wales  -  4 times a year - 7 hour journey time each way  -  so 56 hours a year it is on.  Its a pay as you go and a £20 top up usually lasts me a couple of years.      For 11 years I had two mobiles that had to be on 24/7  -  one for a business I was running  -  the other for my lecturing job.   When I retired I also shut down the business and got rid of both mobiles  -  I detested them!  Now I have one purely for MY convenience  - not anyone elses.

I know, I know, - I am a grumpy, distrustful, old dinosaur,  ................................ but I also get peace & quiet, not being at anyone's beck & call - whenever they think they have a problem they want to talk about  -  I had 11 years of it  -  done my bit thankyou.   Only three people have my mobile number  -  and they know to use the house phone.   My home phone is ex directory - and very few people have the number.

Am I unsociable  -  absolutely not  -  I owned and ran two different hotels in Blackpool for 17 years whilst I was also lecturing   -    do I value my privacy now?  Absolutely!   If you shared your home with strangers for 17 years you might too.   ;)

• Like 1

Background in computers so have a few of them (play MP3s through stereo, save data to Cloud, process photos/graphics), ip camera for the dogs (all hardwired, nothing wireless except router), quite a few cameras (we're both photographers), oldish smartphones, SatNav and dashcam in car

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

That seems to be really cool, a very nice thing in my opinion. To be honest, I guess that there are people that have no idea about smart house, so they don't even care about that, but you can say that you're in trend lol. Anyways, I also decided to connect all my electronic stuff to one system but I don't have that many things in the house to be connected. Anwyays, now I can connect my PC, TV and things like this, also I can turn on and of the light and chose the colors. Soon I want to buy a printer from https://www.palmgear.com/best-sublimation-printer-reviews/ because they have many models that can be connected to my system. Moreover the price is pretty nice so I think it is worth to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds very nice! It would be very nice if this would be real easily. I heard that is very hard to make it. You must have a high engineer degree. One of my friends studied as an engineer. It was very hard for him but he enjoyed what he was learning. It was his dream from little ages. Now after he finished his studies with a high-score, he want to develop a new home automation system. He is working with these guys, https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/toggle-clamps/. A very well positioned company on market. I hope that he will realize his dream with them!

• 1 month later...

Sounds great! All I did during the quarantine is a home office. When I started to work remotely, I realized I really need a place to work. That is why I found all the necessary devices on https://www.mrdepot.ca/products/canon-137-toner and ordered them for a good price. Then I bought furniture and several plants. The next stage will be home automation!