How to get your dog to take pills

Jase

This is also a good training game for focus, it is worth investing some time in training so it is super easy if pills are required 

Tips.

1. Use high value soft meaty treats
2. Throw a couple before hand if you need to
3. Break up tabs if too big.

Have always dreaded giving pills to my dogs.  I use a dab of peanut butter.  Can't give it a toss, however.  

This is approach seems a bit more reliable than using the dab of peanut butter.  

Thanks for posting Jase.  Right now, this is very timely for me, given the meds Elisa is taking.

Have always dreaded giving pills to my dogs.  I use a dab of peanut butter.  Can't give it a toss, however.  

This is approach seems a bit more reliable than using the dab of peanut butter.  

Thanks for posting Jase.  Right now, this is very timely for me, given the meds Elisa is taking.

I hope it works for you Dave, I found that this was the best for us as the pill and treat normally goes down without touching the sides. Mozzarella is also a good one as you can squish it around a pill 

Ooh hadn't thought of playing catch before. We have a tub of cocktail sausages in the fridge that I squeeze her meds into. She does sometimes find the pill and spit it out but another sausage usually takes care of it.

Ooh hadn't thought of playing catch before. We have a tub of cocktail sausages in the fridge that I squeeze her meds into. She does sometimes find the pill and spit it out but another sausage usually takes care of it.

I've tried a small pill in a whole bowl of raw meat and stock, the bowl is licked clean and there will be a perfect little pill sitting there at the end :lol: This way works every time and I don't need to overfeed him to get a pill down.  

Either way, ya just have to do what works for you and your dog/s. This post is just an idea that may work for some :) 

I hope it works for you Emma :)

We crush ours up into powder and the add it to the food.

Disappears every time :up:

Must say that I used to crush the pills too.......but one of the pills Bear used to be on had a timed delay release coating.  Basically it was designed to withstand the stomach and not to be absorbed until it later hit her intestines, I didn't realise this and got a telling off from the vet when she found out I'd been crushing them up with a rolling pin and rendering them ineffective, lol.   Hence the sausage hiding trick I now use.   :D

Same thing with yukons pills. Because it's a seizure medication if we crush them he might not get the exact dosage he is supposed to. And that can make a huge difference Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on whether pills are coated or crushable, depends on whether we open mouth, pop pill at back of throat, hold mouth closed and rub throat - or wrap with ham/sausage and just give (as they may chew, so only the crushables)

The ONLY way I can get Chula to take pills now is to use actual meat, preferably raw since it seems to have more smell to it for her. She has learned how to eat the outside of a pill pocket and spit the pill out. She can suck the peanut butter off a pill and spit it out. She can smell pills through everything else and will just refuse to eat it. If I try to pill her by holding her mouth closed, she'll regurgitate the pill right after I think she's swallowed.

She is truly the most suspicious dog I have ever encountered. She will smell a treat, take it gently in her mouth, taste it, spit it out, taste it, spit it out, taste it again before she decides it's good enough for eating. It's infuriating!

Edited by Chula

Suka is a master at figuring out if pills are hidden in treats or not. 

Right now we've resorted to sticking the pills inside cooked (or uncooked) hotdogs. Just shove them in there. It works pretty well, but I think he's starting to figure out this method too!