Diabetes

cas

Mya was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 weeks ago and is now dependent on insulin twice a day. They say the normal range for a dogs blood sugar is 5 - 12 and Mya's was 27.6. They are gradually upping her insulin dose on a weekly basis until it is under control but her levels are around the 22-25 mark still. She is now on a special Diabetic diet food from Royal Canin. Just wondered if any one has any experience on canin Diabetes that may be able to offer some advice or tips please. Thank you :)

Oh Claire, so sorry to hear this.  Hope her meds will be balanced out soon to regulate her blood sugars.  Sorry I haven't got too much advise, I know that weight, regular exercise and diet is key but you're already on top of that so there's not much else I can offer other than the usual things like she might need to go toilet more often to wee and you might notice her drinking more water.  Sorry I can't be of much help to you.  Wishing you all well. xxxx

:huskyhugs:

Oh Claire, so sorry to hear this.  Hope her meds will be balanced out soon to regulate her blood sugars.  Sorry I haven't got too much advise, I know that weight, regular exercise and diet is key but you're already on top of that so there's not much else I can offer other than the usual things like she might need to go toilet more often to wee and you might notice her drinking more water.  Sorry I can't be of much help to you.  Wishing you all well. xxxx

:huskyhugs:

Thanks very much Emma. At the moment she is drinking and weeing less than she was a couple of weeks ago. That was how I knew something was wrong in the first place as well as her not being her self, she was also wetting on my bed which has now stopped since the insulin started xx

I don't know anything about Canine Diabetes

However I was diagnosed with type 2 late last year.

It took me a couple of months after getting out of hospital

to get my levels down to an acceptable level.

Follow the vets advice upping the insulin until you find the right level.

Sorry to hear your news Claire, I'm afraid I don't know anything about canine diabetes only my own silly human kind, just wanted to send good wishes though xx

Aww poor mite, hope it's fairly quick for you to get in control

Thank you both x

Hope she's ok , big hugs

Thanks Nix

I don't know anything about Canine Diabetes

However I was diagnosed with type 2 late last year.

It took me a couple of months after getting out of hospital

to get my levels down to an acceptable level.

Follow the vets advice upping the insulin until you find the right level.

Will do Andy, they said it will prob take a couple of months to start to settle

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hear your news but...I believe it's more common than we realise. Good luck and big hugs ???.

Big +ve is it is treatable and once stabilised life can go on - as in humans.

I'm wary on sweet snacks and anything like this as I reckon nature didn't provide too much of this for canines!

I knew actor Jon Finch (best Macbeth part played I ever saw - unmistakable voice) when I was doing my theatre course at Charing Cross Hosp '78-'79 (during outside hours in a squash crowd) who lived near; he was always ignoring to test his insulin (Type 1) then drinking too much and being found on the local pub green out for the count.

We'd always go looking for him to get him home!

Most times he'd guess an amount to be consumed....before the pub...didn't test after. I doubt if he's still alive.....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk