Collar, Harness, Leads Etc.

Hey everyone! So, as you may or may not know I have adopted a beautiful 2 year old husky named Maddie. She's a doll and has been walking fairly well on her current collar and leash however her collar has some serious wear and tear and I need to get it replaced sooner rather than later in the event she decides she doesn't want to walk nicely on the leash and pulls the collar right off. She's a tugger more than a puller - she doesn't yank me across the grass or strain but she definitely has some slight tension in the lead. I am curious on y'alls take on what the best collar or harness I could get her would be as well as leads. She's got a very sturdy 6 foot lead but it feels so short especially when she wants to do a little exploring which means I'm right up in the bushes with her so she can.

What would you recommend? Collar or harness? Any specific type? Also what length and type of lead do you use?

THANKS!

You will get a different reply from all who answer lol. We use a standard collar and a julius k9 harness (solo does not pull scooter or sled (yet)) I use a double ended lead attached to both for local walks as it gives more control but for long exploring type walks he goes on a 15ft lead attached to the harness. Welcome to theforum. Maddie is lovely.

I use various things depending on what we're doing & who is being walked :lol:  My 3 permanent dogs all have Julius K9 harnesses to walk with; I use a walking belt & attach 2 of them by manmat bungee leads between belt & harness. The 3rd is walked on an extendable tape lead (8m retractable one). Our foster wears a semi-slip collar and again is walked on an extending lead.

If you get a retractable lead, make sure it is the tape variety as the thin cord one will not last long; if it doesn't snap by the tugging, it is easily chewed through.

we have used them since we've had huskies - over 7 years. We started with the cord one, but Myshka chewed through it at one of the first husky camps so that went in the bin! (Seem to recall she helped Kimba (I think) escape from his too!! :wacko: ) But we have used the tape one ever since & never had one fail on us.

Have a look on www.indi-dog.co.uk , u can get walking belts different kinds of harnesses leads and collars on there all well made , great quality and husky-owners forum members get a discount too

On my dogs I have standard flat collars on for just tags , for walks I use a semi-slip collar so if they try to escape they can't get their heads out (semi-slip collars hang loose when walking nicely but if pulled they tighten to a certain length so cannot be slipped) I also use a front leading non pull harness on my male as he's a nightmare to walk otherwise , plus a walking belt so I can have my hands free to poop-scoop or hold leads back for extra security if I need 2

Eta- with regards to flexi leads go for a flexi giant , all tape lead , I use them on mine n have had no problems what so ever :-)

You can also get 50ft and 100ft long leads , they can be a pain putting them away but if your out on a field or beach n want them to have a run around safely they are great , if you do get one tho if your dog starts to run pelt to the end make sure u start running too lol , they are also great to train a recall on aswell incase she was ever to escape

For Panda i use a standard collar snap in collar just for tags, unless its a short trip to the dog park. 

For walks it depends on where i do the walking. Walking in around city streets or near home i prefer to use the Walk your dog with love harness and a 6ft lead.

If i'm walking through trails and i know panda would be more inclined to sniff around more i use a julius k9 belt harness and a flexi giant retractable which is 8m.

It depends. At some point do you want her to pull? Flexis teach them to pull, so I would avoid them if you only plan to teach heel work, at least until they are solid on lead. The retractables also require a great deal of attention. You always have to be aware of where your dog is when walking with them, for both the safety of other dogs and your own pup. For general walks we use a 6ft lead and a martingale colar. Otherwise we have a Xback or other type of harness and a long line. So Nana learns three different tools. Collar-walking, Harness-pulling, and Show lead-heelwork/gaiting.

whats so special about a k9 harness? it appears to be a regular harness

The Julius K-9 harnesses are built strong. I've had mine for 2 years now and it still looks like new. It's very easy to put on and off. It has reflective material and left/right Velcro patches that glow in the dark for night walks. It has a handle on the top for complete control and includes a mount for a flashlight. That's why it's one of the best harnesses. Their leather collars are great as well. It's the type of leather that gets better looking the more it's used. Hope this helps....

I use different things for different dogs if I'm walking a few I use halti or front facing harnesses to help with the pulling. I use collars for single walks or if I take 2 out. I also use bungee leads or double ended leads. If I'm goin on the fields etc I use there harnesses ie manmat or julile k9 harnesses