Gsd Puppy Help

My GSD puppy is starting to grow white/greyish hairs on her back,shoulder, and hip area.When I looked around and did research, on what this might be I found something called "bitch stripe" and it looks really similar. But I have also been told it might be her "adult fur" growing in, but I have doubts on that as she just turned 4 months old on the 9th and that seems way to early. I don't want to register on GSD forums because they always seem to be elitists and don't really tend to help from what I have seen. And Sky(My husky) told me to stay here or she would get mad at me and say I am cheating haha. Thanks for all the help.

photo_zps12b8b4f8.jpg

roxyfur3_zps3f83e647.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rescued Echo (Our GSD) when she was 18months old and she is white all over.

So I can't help.

However I would say that it is probably just her coat gradually changing colour.

It might take another 12 months before her "Adult" colours are fully in, however it is a gradual change not an overnight

thing, this is probably just the start. :)

storm my husky gsd has all sorts of coliurs. they change im afraid

It's strange though that she is going from black to greyish/white along her back. I thought tan as that is her other primary color, but no the greyish hair came in. She might also be a sable is what came to my mind, but I thought GSD's had to be born sable not become sable. She is a pure GSD and I have AKC pappers so I know she isn't mixed. I am stumped.

Like Huskies, even purebred GSD's come in a bewildering variety of colours.

Don't worry, she'll be gorgeous no matter what colour she end up at. :up:

It is probably the start of her loosing her puppy fur. I wouldn't worry about it. GSD people aren't all elitists. There is, however, a definite split between American show lines, Euro/show/sport lines, and Working lines. More so than most other breeds. I would check out the Health Tested Puppies from Consciencious Breeders  facebook group for good advice from some really good (and kind) GSD breeders.

Oh, yeah. I know all about the GSD elitists. . . lol

I was told bluntly to have Echo put down because her colour is not breed standard.

I was told bluntly to have Echo put down because her colour is not breed standard.

Really? Just because he is white? Well if they start to recognize the white GSD's as a whole nother breed, then you can give them a big middle finger.

Really? Just because he is white? Well if they start to recognize the white GSD's as a whole nother breed, then you can give them a big middle finger.

I wish :)

The whole breed comes from the Alsace mountains in germany.

and are originally sheepdogs, (hence German SHEPHERD :))

as the mountains are covered in snow up to 6 months per year a WHITE dog in snow just isn't good.

That's the reasoning behind the colour not being breed standard.

This is Both European, UK kennel club and AKC.

and some of the GSD forums are so hyper breed conformist that my girly is an abomination to them, because she might pollute the pure Gene pool

(she's spayed and has never been bred)

They seem to have lost the idea of the dog being a pet, and cherished member of the family.

They are so sad.

as the mountains are covered in snow up to 6 months per year a WHITE dog in snow just isn't good.

and some of the GSD forums are so hyper breed conformist that my girly is an abomination to them, because she might pollute the pure Gene pool

They seem to have lost the idea of the dog being a pet, and cherished member of the family.

They are so sad.

Wow, thats unbelievable, so much for lovers of a breed, for me people love a breed for its character, its abilities, smartness etc.. Sure looks count too, but to dismiss and literally insult and wish for death of a dog just because of the colour of its coat? I don't call that breed lovers, I don't even call that dog lovers.

But to be honest, I have noticed at many shows, in the pedigree classes a lot of GSD owners are very critical of every dog, and literally look down on everyone, even though these aren't proper shows they're meant to be CDC shows for charity...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

They are so sad.

That's sad - I HATE people like that. It's people like that who made me think bad of Suka at first, then I came here (on H-O) and realized it doesn't matter if he's a purebred or not (seeing as I got him from the shelter.). He's MY little mutt, and nobody's taking him away from me! :wub:

And unfortunately, they are the ones that are probably advocating for the breeding of the sloped GSDs...which is very bad for their hips and spine (hip dysplasia, etc). I hate how the GSD, a dog I've loved throughout my childhood, is now so full of genetic diseases and problems over here, that I'm probably never going to get one...unless one steals my heart at the shelter one day. 

That's sad - I HATE people like that. It's people like that who made me think bad of Suka at first, then I came here (on H-O) and realized it doesn't matter if he's a purebred or not (seeing as I got him from the shelter.). He's MY little mutt, and nobody's taking him away from me! :wub:

At the end of the day a dog is a dog, and the most wonderful on earth to its owner, no one should even attempt to change someone's opinion of their dog, they're all wonderful, and Suka's just so handsome anyway :D

At the end of the day a dog is a dog, and the most wonderful on earth to its owner, no one should even attempt to change someone's opinion of their dog, they're all wonderful, and Suka's just so handsome anyway :D

I'd better not let him see that - I swear that dog already knows he's handsome! He likes to 'flirt' with the girl dogs at the park... ;)

They are so sad.

That is sad, it's only a color. It does no harm. Causes no disease, just a color. I could see why they wouldn't like it if it carried along a heart problem with the white gene, but no it's just white. And yes they are super elitiest and conformists, all they care about is where there dogs ancestry lies. We should go give them a Husky lesson about ancestry and how long our breed has been around. :)

Certain colors can be linked to genetic defects, white is just one of them, and it depends on the gene. Not all color genes are the same. The UKC does accept the Swiss Shepherd (White GSD). And actually the Alsatian Shepherds were recognized as an AKC breed about the same time the Chukotka sled dogs were first imported to the US. Shepherding dogs are just as old as sledge breeds. Really the laika were expected to do it all: hunt, pull, herd.

Skye did the same at about the same age, the white has gone now and she had a few other colours come through over time but she is now just black and tan again with random fluffy bits haha (she is a husky crossed with a gsd)

You can see the white in this pic, she was around 4 - 5 months old

190069_217725251686661_57306521_n.jpg

Then she went this colour

575162_316013125191206_1257295702_n.jpg

And now

9358_353766101415908_1937173767_n.jpg

So i wouldn't worry they change so much 

Andy that's just bloody awful!! There's a GSD down the road from us down the road from us that is a little older than Echo, but he's pure white as well, and when I walk past when he's sunbathing in the garden, he just sparkles, he's gorgeous! And so is Echo, who cares what colour they are?

My parents have a GSD called Dexter that's not going to live to see 7 years old most likely, because of the snobby elitist breeders obsessing over the sloped back he's got elbow AND hip dysplasia. It makes me so mad!

(The vets did say he'd not live to see 5, but he's 5 now, and they just got a Patterdale Terrier called Rita that's brought new life to him, which is nice to see :)

- Caity

Andy that's just bloody awful!! There's a GSD down the road from us down the road from us that is a little older than Echo, but he's pure white as well, and when I walk past when he's sunbathing in the garden, he just sparkles, he's gorgeous! And so is Echo, who cares what colour they are?

My parents have a GSD called Dexter that's not going to live to see 7 years old most likely, because of the snobby elitist breeders obsessing over the sloped back he's got elbow AND hip dysplasia. It makes me so mad!

(The vets did say he'd not live to see 5, but he's 5 now, and they just got a Patterdale Terrier called Rita that's brought new life to him, which is nice to see :)

- Caity

Awww poor Dexter, yes it's well known that introducing a playmate can invigorate an older dog.

Echo is our second White GSD.

Bear (RIP) was about 9-10 when he passed, when we rescued him they told us he was about 4 years old.

We suspect he was a lot older than that. We had him for 3 years.

We got Echo as a playmate for him.

We got Daughtry about 3 months after Bear went.

We'd been researching Sibes for about 6 months.

Mothering Daughtry helped Echo get over Her best mate going.

Awww poor Dexter, yes it's well known that introducing a playmate can invigorate an older dog.

Echo is our second White GSD.

Bear (RIP) was about 9-10 when he passed, when we rescued him they told us he was about 4 years old.

We suspect he was a lot older than that. We had him for 3 years.

We got Echo as a playmate for him.

We got Daughtry about 3 months after Bear went.

We'd been researching Sibes for about 6 months.

Mothering Daughtry helped Echo get over Her best mate going.

Aww, I wanted to call Damian Bear :)

And yes, I'll agree with the mothering thing, a lot of people I know who've had two, when one's passed the other has gone almost straight away from the heartbreak :(

I just hope that when our pups are older, they're not like that because I'd be devastated. Plus, it'd take it's toll on me getting another dog straight after a death, when our first dog Hamish (Border Collie x Lab) passed, I couldn't look at another black dog for months without tearing up :(

Also, so how did Darwin come into the mix? I'm always interested in the backstories of the dogs :)

- Caity

Aww, I wanted to call Damian Bear :)

And yes, I'll agree with the mothering thing, a lot of people I know who've had two, when one's passed the other has gone almost straight away from the heartbreak :(

I just hope that when our pups are older, they're not like that because I'd be devastated. Plus, it'd take it's toll on me getting another dog straight after a death, when our first dog Hamish (Border Collie x Lab) passed, I couldn't look at another black dog for months without tearing up  :(

Also, so how did Darwin come into the mix? I'm always interested in the backstories of the dogs :)

- Caity

By the time Daughtry was nearly six months old, we were looking at getting a Husky playmate for Daughtry as the two breed have completely different personalities and temperaments.

So we started looking around for a rescue and a member on here (Magical Merlin) had a friend who lived in a flat in London and their husky was stressed and tearing the hair out of his tail.

So we met up with Dan and Laura we took Daughtry down and they played well.

and so we brought Darwin home.

They've been best buds ever since.

Echo and Darwin on the other hand has taken 3 years to go from bitter fighting enemies to playing and chasing each other around the garden.