Honoring Honey

I dont know if I ever told this story to anyone here but now I would like to to honor Honey.

I rescued "honey" about 3 and a half years ago. She had been abandoned and was needing a new home, so I took her. She was the cutest little floppy-eared, shep/lab mix. She was around 10 or 12 weeks when i got her, and although she was not a very social pup she was light hearted and sweet. I had her about 8 months when she died.

One day I had promised to go help paint my friends place for her because she was pregnant and I was painting for alot longer than i expected. So, when I came home and fed her during a break I decided to let her stay outside that night because she had been in her crate all day and she never had been in her crate that long before. I never usually leave my dogs out at night as I dont feel its safe or comfortable for them but this one time i went against my rules because I felt horrible for her being in the house all day.

Little did I know, that night while I was over painting still, my neighbor next door put down an obscene amount of dangerous chemicals on their lawn. Needless to say, Honey died of poisoning sometime during the night out on my back portch and I found her the next morning at 7 am. At first I was sure she was sleeping since she was laying in her favorite spot on the portch, so I had gone out to feed her and rinse her off so she could come in.

When she didnt coming running to the sound of me pouring food into her bowl, I went to check her and I thought that maybe she was just upset with me for not being home.

I have never been so upset or mortified in my life as I was when I realized she was gone and that there was nothing I could do. My heart was broken because at 4 pm the night before she had been healthy, happy, and full of life...and just one time of breaking my own rules had stolen her away. She was only about the age that chewy is now, when she died.

It was nearly 2 years before my husband and i overcame our heartbreak and brought chewy home, and in her honor I would like to say that it was Honey who made us so happy that we knew we wanted to have another dog...she was such good company that we knew we would always be a dog loving family...because we so missed her wagging tail, playful loving manner and warm greetings.

While no dog could ever replace her, I fully believe she went to chase birds in heaven after Chewy came home, because the sadness that I would feel in our empty yard after her death lifted as if she had decided to go to heaven because she knew we would be ok.

RIP "Honey"

aw, Erika, that is so sad, poor Honey - you just never know the minute or what's out there .. I'm surprised the neighbour never thought to warn you, knowing you had a pet

RIP, Honey, go chasing birds & rabbits over Rainbow Bridge & well done for looking over your humans till Chewy came home & took over, xx

• 1 year later...