Walking your dog

Sarah

Does your husky pull when you take him/her out for a walk? I am forever being pulled about by kimba and have bought a halti for him but not sure whether or not to use it on him as huskies are supposed to be in front pulling the sled (or me in my case)

My trainer said dogs should walk to heel but try as i might, i CANNOT get him to do this, any suggestions peeps??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine are both the same cant get them to stop pulling ... even bought couple of the harnesses that are meant to stop them from pulling.... no chance they made small amount of difference.. tried half check neck collars .. no good there. when i walk them on normal length lead or run them i use one of the walk/run belts that doesn't stop them pulling but at least don't pull nearly me over.

i find running as fast as "roadrunner" makes them slacken off a bit.. eventually !!!

All my 3 pull. I have to walk them separately if it's only me as they are so strong! None of them will walk to a heal.

Marley isn't too bad, he will only pull if there is another dog or if Bandit or Gizmo is in front of him so I can handle him on a normal lead.

Bandit also doesn't seem too bad but he has a habit of trying to run when we go for a walk! At the moment he is just on a normal rope lead (horse lunge rope) but we are getting both him and Marley a Halti Harness.

http://www.dog-online.co.uk/Dog_Training_Kit-Harnesses/c119_147/p443/Halti_Dog_Harness/product_info.html

Gizmo has a halti harness now as he pulls like mad to begin with and then calms down a little after about 5mins (once he has had a number 1 and 2). If you look on the link, the Halti Harness is pictured with a lead on the back and then one at the front of the chest (which what makes it a good one). I don't put one at the back and just have 2 at the front (one on either side of Gizmo) which I find so much easier to control him! It hasn't stopped him from pulling, but it is so much easier to walk him as you got all your control on the front of the chest and using the 2 leads on either side can even the pulling strength out!

I don't think you can get a Husky not to pull unless you start from the very beginning. It's in their blood to pull, we just need to learn different ways to get them to pull when we want them not when they want!

we used a flexi lead when Gizmo was little but as he got stronger and started pulling more - it snapped! Now we use short horse lunge ropes for them, much stronger! Marley can walk on a normal dog lead as he doesn't pull so much or so hard but have to use them on Bandit. We have a chain lead for gizmo as he went through of a habit a little while back where he would try a chew his way through, little bugger.

• 2 weeks later...

we are using harnesses that we got from america where you clip the lead at the front, but this alone did not stop the pulling, so have just got two rope leads that loop around the top of the neck and although they still pull, they walk by our sides, and are more responsive to us correcting them when they pull. i still have a lead on the harness as a back up tho, and coming back from a walk is when they are more receptive to walking to heel.

I don't think you can get a Husky not to pull unless you start from the very beginning. It's in their blood to pull, we just need to learn different ways to get them to pull when we want them not when they want!

It's all about training. If you see Siberians in the showring, they don't pull. They walk around at heel, or trot around by the side of their owners like any other show dog - yet many of them are the same dogs that scream like banshees to get going once they see a harness.

We train our dogs from baby puppies to respond differently to different collars. On a thin show chain, they know they must behave and respond instantly to commands. On half-checks, they know that they are expected to walk to heel. On their racing collars, they know that not only are they allowed to pull, they are expected to. It takes time, but it is well worth the effort.

These are two of our best showdogs, showing that it is possible to pull like loonies as well as behave on the lead.:D:D

ScreenShot079.jpg

ScreenShot078.jpg

Mick

Yes that's "the Duchess" - Chrystelle (Ch. U'Catcher Dream of Baker Lake). She is really laid back until the harnesses come out. Then she transforms into a mad thing!

We start off training them at 8 weeks (4 weeks if they are our own pups) using cheese. In the showring we use sausage - with huskies it has to be bribery. To get them to do what we want, we have to offer them something they want. Initially it's food, but before long they will do it just for praise and a cuddle.

Mick

mishka/ kavik walk ok on collar & leash, kavik pulls @ times but is generally like mishka & walks without dragging me, our rescue sibe frankie wears a halti which attaches to his collar too in case it comes off as he pulls quirte a bit but not too bad. I put it on him mainly on walks as when he says hi to other dogs he has the tendency to try to taste them after saying hello & the halti closes mouth so he can't do this. You do need to be careful with halti's though if your dog lunges out & the head gets pulled around to side as this can cause the neck to disaline apparently, i am lucky there as frankie dosen't pull that much on his halti.

Yes that's "the Duchess" - Chrystelle (Ch. U'Catcher Dream of Baker Lake). She is really laid back until the harnesses come out. Then she transforms into a mad thing!

We start off training them at 8 weeks (4 weeks if they are our own pups) using cheese. In the showring we use sausage - with huskies it has to be bribery. To get them to do what we want, we have to offer them something they want. Initially it's food, but before long they will do it just for praise and a cuddle.

Mick

wow, beautiful huskies!

You really must share some hints and tips with us. Do you think it possible to train a husky nearly 12 months old or 6 months old to train them to walk nicely as I would love to be able to walk all of mine at once on my own so then I can take them on a longer walk then during my lunch break at work.

Sibes are pretty smart and although they learn quickly, they will take advantage if you let them!

Find what your sibe prefers best - a high value treat or a toy - and use this as a motivator when you are walking.

I always walk my sibe on a martingale collar, for two reasons - I find them much more effective than check chains because you can adjust them to sit high up on the dog's neck and they don't slide down like a check chain, and secondly because my Sibe can slip flat collars so the martingale is a safety precaution.

Then when teaching loose leash walking, have him on a martingale and leash and as soon as he walks in front, instantly change direction. If he lags, give him a quick check on the collar (pull the leash quickly across your body, you do not need much force, but do not pull it upwards). He will need to run to catch up to you. Doing this will teach him that as soon as he walks in front, he will have to turn around again and will not get his own way. I have found this much more effective than the 'start and stop' technique because the dog has to catch up to you. As soon as he stops walking in front, give him lots of praise and treat him with the food or toy.

It didn't take long at all for my sibe to get this and he walks beautifully on the leash - no pulling! :D

mishka/ kavik walk ok on collar & leash, kavik pulls @ times but is generally like mishka & walks without dragging me, our rescue sibe frankie wears a halti which attaches to his collar too in case it comes off as he pulls quirte a bit but not too bad. I put it on him mainly on walks as when he says hi to other dogs he has the tendency to try to taste them after saying hello & the halti closes mouth so he can't do this. You do need to be careful with halti's though if your dog lunges out & the head gets pulled around to side as this can cause the neck to disaline apparently, i am lucky there as frankie dosen't pull that much on his halti.

You're probably safer having him on a muzzle and collar if this is the case, as the muzzle will prevent him from biting other dogs but it is much safer on his neck and nose than a halti. Haltis are only designed to stop a dog from pulling (not very effectively if you ask me but that is another thread altogether, lol!), not to stop him biting other dogs. Not only are they dangerous on his neck if he lunges or pulls, but they are particularly dangerous and uncomfortable for dogs because of the way the nerves are positioned in their face.

• 1 month later...

hi ive just bin readin these posts and was wondering if harness's actually work as im thinkin bout gettin 4 blaze as no matter wot i do he still pulls he is fine after a while but even if i change direction when he pulls he will either pull 4ward again or pull me backwards didnt wanna try a halti after wot ive read bout it irritatin the eyes so was wondering if a harness would be any better? hes 5 months

any1 tell me if this 1 would be any good?

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2d+collars,+leads+and+tags/category-is-2d03+harnesses/product-is-V00206

or the half check collar?

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2d+collars,+leads+and+tags/product-is-V00204

hi ive just bin readin these posts and was wondering if harness's actually work as im thinkin bout gettin 4 blaze as no matter wot i do he still pulls he is fine after a while but even if i change direction when he pulls he will either pull 4ward again or pull me backwards didnt wanna try a halti after wot ive read bout it irritatin the eyes so was wondering if a harness would be any better? hes 5 months

any1 tell me if this 1 would be any good?

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2d+collars,+leads+and+tags/category-is-2d03+harnesses/product-is-V00206

or the half check collar?

http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-2+dog/category-is-2d+collars,+leads+and+tags/product-is-V00204

I use the half check (martingale) collars.

Remember that no tool on its own will stop pulling though :) Have you been doing much one on one training with Blaze or are you still walking the two dogs together?

I use the half check (martingale) collars.

Remember that no tool on its own will stop pulling though :) Have you been doing much one on one training with Blaze or are you still walking the two dogs together?

still both together i cant find the time 2 do them seperately as i have 2 jobs and college and most days i look after my little brother after school aswell but i have found a dog training class which is quite near 2 where i live so i will b ringing them up either today or tomorrow depending on when i get a free 5 mins

still both together i cant find the time 2 do them seperately as i have 2 jobs and college and most days i look after my little brother after school aswell but i have found a dog training class which is quite near 2 where i live so i will b ringing them up either today or tomorrow depending on when i get a free 5 mins

No worries - I was just curious when I read your post here:

no matter wot i do he still pulls he is fine after a while but even if i change direction when he pulls he will either pull 4ward again or pull me backwards didnt wanna try a halti after wot ive read bout it irritatin the eyes so was wondering if a harness would be any better? hes 5 months

Like I've said to you before - it can be really tricky if not impossible to train two dogs at one time. The reason you aren't having success with any of the training methods would easily be because you are walking two dogs at the same time - I totally understand the time constraints, so don't give up hope or think that training won't work - it will when you have the time to get Blaze on his own :)

I MANAGED TO GET BLAZE 2 WALK WITHOUT PULLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG :D and i had bingo with me! i just kept his leash really short said 'here' n made him stand next to me and walked rly slow everytime he pulled i wud stop put him back in his position next to me say here as i did it and carried on and he started walkin nicely!!!!!!!!!!!!! i also made him sit b4 he got a fuss off a person n he didnt jump up :D so proud ov him !!! :D:D:D:D