Walking your dog

Sarah

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

this has nothing to with pulling but a question bout walking thought this would be a good place to ask. suka had his second vac today so he will start going out for walks in a weeks time. was just wondering what would be a good distance to walk him. i would like him to be tired out but not walk him to far as to damage his joints.he will be 12- 13 weeks old

i would start off slowly. 10 to 15 mins max for a few weeks and then build up gradually, Kimba wasn't tired in the slightest when i took him on his first walk but you're right in not doing it too quickly, their joint/ligaments can be damaged at an early age if exercised excessively

this has nothing to with pulling but a question bout walking thought this would be a good place to ask. suka had his second vac today so he will start going out for walks in a weeks time. was just wondering what would be a good distance to walk him. i would like him to be tired out but not walk him to far as to damage his joints.he will be 12- 13 weeks old

We started off walking off Isis around the block for approx 5 mins!

Weve gradually built up and now walk her for 45 mins per day - 2 to 3 walks a day - But she never seems tired at the end of it!

It's not so much about the pup getting tired but like Sarah said putting too much pressure on joints that are soft and still forming. I wouldn't do more than 20 minutes of walking before they were six months, but then I am paranoid about joints and follow my breeders advice very strictly.

Good advice peeps, big smiley at end of this for all of you!

When I first started walking with Gizmo I took him out for about 5 mins for the first week or so, this didn't tire him out but we played in the house and garden loads so didn't want to walk him too much. As he got older we would extend it slightly each week and walk him slightly further and he would go for about 30 mins walk by about 6 months. Now he is 13 months old we walk him about 45mins to an hour most days and every Sunday they all get about 2 hours walk in the forest but I wouldn't advice you to walk him this far yet!

Your taking the right path by introducing walks gradually :D

Smiley for Smeagle, Sarah and Alex

[ATTACH]829.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-44-13585942030434_thumb.jpg

Yeah my dogs pull too. They do it the most at the beginning of the walk so I , like Richard said "run like a roadrunner" with them for the first 5 mins and then they seem to be better. Obviously it does matter what you use and training. I got told by my dog trainer not to use a harness with Huskies if you dont want them to pull as it will actually encourage them to pull. So now I have a training collar (which can close up slightly if tugged on to let them know a certain behaviour is bad) and a training lead which you can double up so its similar to a halti type thing but with all focus on the neck area. it can also be used around your shoulders so your hands are free. It really seems to make a difference, would definitely recommend them.

I do think it will and would take a lot of work to get them to not pull at certain times as it is so deeply bred into them. Sarah, how you gonna cope when Kaiser gets older lol. I am getting big muscles with my 2 and one of them is a girl. Having 2 boys is gonna be tough.

A couple that live across the road from us are amazed that I can manage to walk both of mine without too much difficulty because they have a 2yr old girl and they said they really struggle with just her and they use a halti with her lol.

• 2 weeks later...