How Do I Stop My Dog Pulling?

I use a slip lead, if he starts to pull I check the lead (pull it firmly sideways across my waist) while making a sharp 'tsk' noise. If he carries on I make him sit before using the walk command. He is so much better on walks, but I haven't quite mastered him trying to pull when he sees other dogs! I make him sit while another dog/person walks past, if I see him bum twitching like he's going to jump I check the lead.

I also make sure I'm out the door first, and that he sits and waits while I lock it. He used to be a crazy critter that would practically pull me down the drive before I'd even closed the door! He's learning manners.

I swap the lead to his 50 ft lead on the park, and on the way home he's too tired to try and pull :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. After trying many other devices, I finally got what must be the best product on the market. We have been using the Gentle Leader Headcollar for about a week now on Ela-Yona. At first we fitted it and only kept it on for about 5 minutes. She slowly built up time with just the collar with no lead until she was comfortable with it. Our first trip outside on lead was just a potty run, the change was suprising and instant. She still wants to try and remove it but we have been told she will adjust to it, besides she loves treats when we come back in. Our first actual walk on lead was amazing, she actually "pranced" as we walked. Contant praise and treats help for positive reinforcement. I can honestly say I was ready to give up and we were going to have to live with pulling forever. Not so now. She is now "mommy's show dog" when she walks.

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dean and Tyler harness. It has four hookups. One in the front under his neck,one on the back and one on the left side and right side for pulling. I hookup the leash on the front under his neck and he no longer pulls. Like a different dog. Makes sense huskies are made for pulling. Anything you hook on there back and their instinct is to pull.

• 1 month later...

I used a normal flat 1inch collar. I've never even tried anything else.

I tried the stop and go, changing directions, luring with food, molding with a clicker, and some others. I spent my first two months with her (adopted when she had just turned a year old) trying everything I could find on the net and in books - oh boy... books - Never have I read more books on a single subject in my life. It's overwhelming with everything that's out there.

In the end, after my shoulder could take no more, I randomly started reaching down and grabing her front leg when she tried to go ahead of me. She got the message within a couple walks, or maybe it finally set in that I wasn't going to give up, but not long after I was left with a husky who heels like a natural.

No where have I seen/heard of doing this... but it worked for me.

The real trouble was months later when I wanted to start teaching her to pull for all those fun mushing sports we now love to do...

Hindsight... train that first... lol

• Like 2

Morning from UK!

It's 'conditioning' and you sound like you conditioned yours to 'heel' in an unusual way. And it worked! Do not give up re pulling a rig, whether a bike, scooter/jorer or trike for dryland (we don't really get enough snow out here!)

To get them into 'pulling' mode or, at least walking in front but under control still, when each in harness but..The clips are ON the harness section for pulling mode. They know from the feel. In early weeks I did have contact to heads via halti until they settled.

When we go to 'heel mode MY walking' I use only halti connection. It's quite hard work but, Chester learnt right from first walking out to FOCUS on me not what was around him; being food oriented I used different treats like chopped carrot or cooked chopped dry chicken nuggets. He's not 100% but I'm not dragged around by 93+lbs.

Eski is attached on an adjustable two dog lead re distance whether closer to him (and can be walked right beside him on either side of me; she is always on the left of Chester so both get used to being near me or not.

I did take Chester to the fab site near us (20 mins drive) where husky rides are available Arctic Quest. Vickie and Charlene have around 14 dogs - most are SibHuskies some are mixed or other! They found a harness after a bit (my boy was a year and already big!) And they commented on how good he was being (wo)manhandled into the harness. Big softie not aggressive, bit perplexed but happy.

When he was finally all set up with rig behind him Vicki stepped up (she's pretty compact but slight in stature) & said Hike!

I was standing behind the rig. The track was clear ahead.

He just turned and looked at me querying..

I clicked; and said he's used to me being there beside him!

Charlene went and got the golf buggy. She drove I sat in backk and we went on ahead. Chester still stood ignoring Vickie's efforts to make him move still failed.

Until I called him.

He leapt forward nearly throwing Vickie off! The buggy could barely up keep in front! Chester followed me in the buggy. His face was transformed! Heaven was found and a new purpose - run under instruction and pull!

V said Wow -so strong!'

He can easily pull two of me - @ 14 stone, so together their combined weight is 178-190 lbs.....easy!.

Scary.

I couldn't cope with six in hand!!! Or eight ...or more on races!

Oh yes....Would love too.. I'm a go fast gal but hubby won't let me have any more.....dogs.

As a youngster loved go karting & martial arts and racing dinghies & later yachts. VERY competitive. Won lots.

Because Chester was (is) not in full condition for this, Vickie was careful to keep the runs short, letting him recover. He later had a lovely paddle in the lake there on a long long lead.

Then I had a go...The buggy went in front with Vickie sitting in the back.

'Keep instructions brief...don't say too much - occasional GOOD BOY or HIKE!' Or a rare 'steady!' And stay off the brakes, lean into corners, brace and flex on knees, hold tight!!

I was hooked! What a thrill.

Both C & E have learnt to Gee & Haw and spin for me too - see their FB.....

I'm not rich. I'm medically retired with a crumbling neck at 61 now 63+.

My consultant told me not wrap myself in cottonwool, do everything as much as I could, live through the pain, take painkillers but not stop.

As an anaesthetic & all round theatre nurse, I suddenly had severe neck pain one morning May in 2011. Had just signed late 2010 to work to 65 - not retire at 62.5 years.

My hubby and I were just coming out of an IVA after 6+ years - daylight was visible..but the b*****s were still building the bloody tunnel.

We lived on a third of our pretty healthy total income.

Breeding Westies was a joy and helped once a year with a small increase when pups were sold..

A small profit of £400 per pup even with the largest litter of four (mainly two or three) still helped.

We're clear now. Just a mortgage. My Dave retires in seven+years. He's 4+years younger (No 3!)

I struggled for seven months in eight or ten hour shifts between 24 to 37.5 hr weeks. Smsll cottage but very busy hospital & one multi purpose theatre. Eyes/cataracts/lids, orthopaedic, general, genito-urological. Most day surgery.

We were short staffed, with limited skills sets - I was one of two (the other the mgr) who could do all & anything and ... anaesthetics demands 100% concentration.

I was about to go off sick (scary when pain blocks concentration and stressfull) when my line manager sent me home.

'Get this sorted Maz...come bk soon!'

Nearly a year later after every conceivable test & treatment we paid for a private consultation & MRI scan £500++.

I sent all my earlier tests, results and MRI report off to ATOS. Within six weeks I was medically retired. My neck is severely worn, crumbling, out of alignment and goes onto muscular spasm crippling me for a day.

A whole bloody year I was fighting with NHS Occupational Health who (one particular person dealing with me) was determined I WOULD return to work if only for hour periods!

I was put through this incl back to work for three weeks on two days/week.

I didn't complete the 2nd.

Anyway - I have slowed. The last 18 mths up to Sep last had me leaving my beloved sea cadets and air cadets. Offshore RYA Day Skipper/first mate in both 7 tonne Yachting /first mate teaching all skills & navigation & in motor - 81 tonne; power boat & safety, FAW Instr & Assessor, Asst Band Instr in brass & drumming, I had to cut down on everything even walking my beautiful HuskyMal.I did manage Marine Engineering II (BTec recognised) before I left - passed joint 2nd - so know how to deal with my 4x4 engine Pajero 2.8 tdi and outboard for my 19' cruiser!

Love my tools!

12 Sep Eski arrived and actually overall has settled in very well.

Sep 29 2013 I called 999 as I was in serious frightening abdominal pain. :- hospital;

Gallstone - one 7mm but...

they found I was very severely anaemic! Norm 15-18. I was reading 6.

No wonder I was struggling to even push the vacuum round! Treacle days every day for a year & and getting worse.

Lots of tests - Nada. Five nights/six days later, out. Two weeks (2/52) after endoscope & colonoscope (awful awful 3day pre-prep). Results - Nada. Which was good.

Cut down on fats - gone off them! Gallstone quiet - I'd prefer to keep my gallbladder. Hubby lost his - far too good a cook - so weight loss bloody difficult. I lose in the week because I eat less! Weekends..arrggh

GP reckons I've been donating blood TOO regularly so have to reduce sessions and certainly until I finish my iron regime end of this month. I'm 'O'Neg-ve - universal donor group - only 2% of UK population so much needed.

I wish everyone who could WOULD donate - saves lives!

GIVE BLOOD!!!

So....don't give up.

Find your local husky meet group/club that run for fun either on foot cani cross, joring, biking, or sled or dryland rigs and or snow.

With three you could run all three or share/split - each of you/partner doing something different.

Note: some dogs don't want to pull - so no probs. They will be prob just be happier to run with you. Go try! Exercise keeps dogs fit and happy and settling in as a team group.

I have a huge back garden (well..mud pie at present in rain/winter....) and mine run and run, round and round!

It's all still new to me!

I'm much better & stronger - and just recovering from Shingles!

We've had ongoing .... but delay after delay home improvements as now after ten years we can afford some; ongoing since last June!

Son's g/f miscarried Dec.

Then her pa died NY day. (Big C - just went earlier than expected) all emotional and exhausting.

Love both my boy's gf's.

Daughter 34 - estranged; Google missrepresent.com dnb dj Drum and Bass DJ - (fm No1) but manic depressive (like her pa - 'Mayes vs Mayes 83/84' - divorce set new precedence!)- I love her too but we just don't get on.

(Boys fm No2).

LOVE my hubby....we play with two brass bands....

Anything is possible -

Never say never.

Nothing is impossible - find a way!

"If it is to be it's up to me!"

Apologies for a saga - explains how I cope and manage ... ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

c93a36b44b24f3cc5b66984a831ec259.jpge660f5922c232096768018f5616935da.jpg

• 2 years later...

I swear by my Dogmatics for nice walking out and mine barely pull. ROK leads also stretch with a grab handle for close-to head control.
I also have a two dog bungee lines off of which I clip to my canibelt - head collar & belt off Snowpaws. Other adjustable separe lead lines too off a Grivel Swivel so no twists. When they're in their harnesses too, I can switch off the Dogmatics and say 'hup' .... and they haul my ass up a hill or bank! They know the difference.
I run them in a dry land running rig & occasionally a Pawtrekker Scooter.
Training over many months indoors and out on foot helped me reach a good performance by the time I'd saved up for my rig. [emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Cos so many of the straps lift up too near the dogs eyes, too many owners yank the lead which results in yanking the dogs head/neck (risking injury), most dogs do their best to paw the thing off its face and not actually enjoying the walk, the dogs are expected 'just to walk' not able to have freedom to sniff etc which is all stimulating for the dog, they are a tool to hide poor or no training. I just seriously hate them (but thats my opinion).

Mine pull me HARD and i mean HARD but thats why i got a huskys (on a belt). if i stopped them from pulling i feel like they would loose their 'mojo'. They do walk really well if i took them out on their own which took little training, but walk them together and they go into work mode (but they are worked).

Just wanted to add a side note to the comment that head harnesses are used to hide poor or no training. I’ve used the dogmatic head harnesses in the past and one of mine hated wearing it and they started to rub fur off their snouts so I ordered 2 from Indi-dog, I cant rate them highly enough, no fur rubbing and connects at the back of the neck. I use them for safety, mine and theirs, my 2 weigh more than 12 stone between them and for the first 10 mins of our walks we encounter squirrels, far too many cats and lots of sheep so you can imagine how they pull/yank me, without the head harnesses on who knows what would happen but once we’re out of ‘the danger area’ I take them off. When my youngest son, he’s 13, comes on the walk with me he walks Cai with the head harness, again for safety.
I also used them regularly after both of my hands were operated on, I don’t think people use them out of laziness or lack of training, and my two sniff freely on walks.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
  • Like 2

Love my Dogmatics. My two naturally pull in a rig in harness. They know to 'walk nice' in their Dogmatics and rarely tug unless another dog comes too close.
If I click onto harnesses & say 'Hup' they haul (my) ass uphill. Simples.

• Like 1

I don't even own a dogmatic. Mine are pullers also rigs, bikes, and sleds but if I have them with a harness or a collar they know it's time to walk. I don't need to put anything over their mouths like a dogmatic for them to do that. I have never found anything like head sets to really matter in huskies they are going to do what they are going to do it doesn't really matter what they have on them. Proper training is the only saving grace. [emoji4]

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I really hope the head collar is going to help. My boy is now 7 months old and as he isn't interested in treats at all using the click and treat method wasn't going to work. I tried the stop and go way as well but it didn't result in any improvement at all. When I started to leash train Fido he wasn't weighing much so I tried to put an early intervention to the pulling but now at almost 20kg (keep in mind I am small and very skinny *sigh* ) it's getting a lot harder to properly work on it with the normal collar and I am not even trying the standard harness anymore 😅

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShepskyFido said:

I really hope the head collar is going to help. My boy is now 7 months old and as he isn't interested in treats at all using the click and treat method wasn't going to work. I tried the stop and go way as well but it didn't result in any improvement at all. When I started to leash train Fido he wasn't weighing much so I tried to put an early intervention to the pulling but now at almost 20kg (keep in mind I am small and very skinny *sigh* ) it's getting a lot harder to properly work on it with the normal collar and I am not even trying the standard harness anymore 😅

Instead of using a head collar why not try a front lead harness like walk your dog with love or easy walk harness...

• Like 1

Just now, ShepskyFido said:

Might actually be the better option now that I looked into it, suppose Ill order one and try it out 

just a bit more gentle on the nose for your pup and brilliant control, my wife uses them on our 2 if she has to walk them without any problems even when my knees does not want to work I can walk them without any problems...

• Like 1

I have spent so much money trying everything to get my two to just walk. 

When separate the female is great. The male was a monster. Together they snap at each other, get up on their back legs screaming.....

I have never liked chokers! However, I broke down and and started working them in chokers. 

I started inside the house (one at a time) with pressure training. (Not jerking Street back - sane as what was mentioned above by someone else) Using the  natural award of loose lead and treats when they were close enough for the lead to be loose. Once they one at a time, were 100% inside the house, I put them together and practiced that until they were 100% together.

Then I did the exact same thing in the backyard. (Until the boy started locking me out of the house when sissy was having her turn/ Sissy learned to open the door while brother was taking his turn 😭😂) After a few times of having to break back into the house,,,, I started taking them out front together. 

It was a hot mess at first. Did a lot of what others have already mentioned. Turning when they start having to much tension, setting during excitement, lots of positive reward.

We haven’t been able to make it around the block because of all the turning and setting. But the pups have fun and it wears them out. 

I have the chokers for walks, they have a lite harness with a 20 foot lead for the park, and they have x back harness for run time (haven’t used this one yet, just now getting them used to it)

• Like 1

I had dogmatic head collars when they were younger, they look nice but they rubbed the fur away around the snout and too much metal on them. I ordered head harnesses from Indi dog and you can’t buy better IMO, it’s a figure of 8 design with soft padding so as not to rub the fur away and you attach the lead at the back of the neck which is better for them. I don’t use them all the time but they do give you more control when they see cats or squirrels etc and my son uses them when he walks them, my 2 weigh 13 stone together!

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Just to add if you’re walking 2 dogs together it’s easier if you use a neckline and clip it between their collars, I use one with mine so they can’t drag me in opposite directions, it keeps them walking forwards.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am having the same problem my husky pulling, i have a nylon collar. He pulled me so much recently that  I fell.

Please help. 😂😊

My friend told me to get a large harness since he said it stopped his dog from pulling , however I was told by my Mom that this will only encourage him to pull more.

Here is the link to the Large Leather Dog Harness my friend has, please help, before I spend a lot on this recommended harness.

Thanks

Gwen

1 minute ago, gwenethjones10 said:

Hello,

I am having the same problem my husky pulling, i have a nylon collar. He pulled me so much recently that  I fell.

Please help. 😂😊

My friend told me to get a large harness since he said it stopped his dog from pulling , however I was told by my Mom that this will only encourage him to pull more.

Here is the link to the Large Leather Dog Harness my friend has, please help, before I spend a lot on this recommended harness.

Thanks

Gwen

I would get a front leading harness and teach to walk nice first...

2 minutes ago, gwenethjones10 said:

Hello,

Please help. 😂😊

Thanks

Gwen

I do believe that harnessing a Husky does make them pull more. At least with mine.

Since I last posted I have even stopped with the choker collar. I was afraid it would hurt their throat. 

I went to a little pet shop where the owner helps dog owners with leash issues. (She doesn’t charge 😮😵) We actually put my boy in a prong and wow did that help. This was after trying every No Pull harness and everything else in her store.

I haven’t once had to correct him. He does walk in front of me which I am totally fine with. When he starts being reactive to something I say turn and he turns around and goes the other way with some whining but doesn’t act out.

My little girl is ready for a regular collar now and the boy is almost there. 

As far as a harness goes... I will once in awhile put them in their harness with a long line. Play fun day is what I call it. No matter how long the line is they hit the end of it and start working it. LOL

Just found out I have a neighbor with two very large Husky highbreeds X that are 6 years old and they also said they use prongs. *made me feel better*

I also do a lot of verbal training with lots of  positive praise and treats on our walks. It keeps mine paying attention to me instead of everything else.

O I have also tried the two in one lead. That did not go well with mine. They mouth played and get each other worked up when they are close to each other. They have to walk on opposite sides with me in the middle. 

My male also hated the gental head halty.  Grinded his teeth the whole time.

Tried the harness with a front lead and he flips and rolls like an alligator. 

Uggg

32 minutes ago, gwenethjones10 said:

thank you I will try that if you have any types please let me know, for now i will google that term to find a good harness.

A good one is walk your dog with love...just google it...