walk your dog with love harness

What did your trainer get you to do?

I think I'm about the only failure with the harness, I do use it now but only as I'm doing intensive walk to heel training. The moment I lose concentration Kobi starts pulling like mad :(

No, you're not the only one.

I've had my harness since January....and Malakai still pulls like a train - especially bad when there's been snow, he seems to turn into a complete fruitcake!

So far while wearing the harness he's managed to pull me into the road 3 times (luckily no traffic was coming), he nearly ate a small black dog which was walking past (this was in the snow so I had absolutely no grip and just slid along behind him!), he's made my fingers bleed twice from pulling so hard the nylon lead ripped the skin from the side of my nails, and I have almost constant arm/back ache :confused:

I do take treats along on all of our walks but he only behaves when he wants a treat :rolleyes:

I am now ready to give up! I really don't enjoy many of our walks - admittedly some he does behave on, and it's amazing walking with him - but I dread getting the lead out. As I'm on my own I am the only one walking him....and I don't really consider myself a weakling as I do weight lifting, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep hold of him....but wow, he's one strong dog!!!

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you're not the only one.

I've had my harness since January....and Malakai still pulls like a train - especially bad when there's been snow, he seems to turn into a complete fruitcake!

So far while wearing the harness he's managed to pull me into the road 3 times (luckily no traffic was coming), he nearly ate a small black dog which was walking past (this was in the snow so I had absolutely no grip and just slid along behind him!), he's made my fingers bleed twice from pulling so hard the nylon lead ripped the skin from the side of my nails, and I have almost constant arm/back ache :confused:

I do take treats along on all of our walks but he only behaves when he wants a treat :rolleyes:

I am now ready to give up! I really don't enjoy many of our walks - admittedly some he does behave on, and it's amazing walking with him - but I dread getting the lead out. As I'm on my own I am the only one walking him....and I don't really consider myself a weakling as I do weight lifting, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep hold of him....but wow, he's one strong dog!!!

If I were you, I'd enroll in training classes. No dog should be pulling to the point of making their owners hands bleed, that's just insane.

Stacey xxx

i agree - Blaze was a REALLY bad puller to the point my arm neck back n shoulders just hurt but he never did anything like that! n the wydwl harness has really helped - it seems he needs some extra training aswell as just the harness (which should be used to help train anyway - not used as a quick fix)

hope things get better soon

If I were you, I'd enroll in training classes. No dog should be pulling to the point of making their owners hands bleed, that's just insane.

Stacey xxx

I have been thinking about classes, but I know he can walk nicely because if I walk him around my estate after the first 10 minutes or so he calms down and walks really nicely, then as soon as he realises he's leaving the estate he acts like a twit! I can turn him around and walk back the way we came and he walks nicely again, turn around and he acts like a twit again. I can't walk him round and round the estate for an hour every day - for one, it's boring, and two, he'll never get used to walking anywhere else :confused:

I have been thinking about classes, but I know he can walk nicely because if I walk him around my estate after the first 10 minutes or so he calms down and walks really nicely, then as soon as he realises he's leaving the estate he acts like a twit! I can turn him around and walk back the way we came and he walks nicely again, turn around and he acts like a twit again. I can't walk him round and round the estate for an hour every day - for one, it's boring, and two, he'll never get used to walking anywhere else :confused:

Do you use a walking belt? Take the pressure off your hands a bit. I found that stopping dead in my tracks helped to stop the pulling. He didn't care which direction we went so the turning one didn't seem to help him.

Do you use a walking belt? Take the pressure off your hands a bit. I found that stopping dead in my tracks helped to stop the pulling. He didn't care which direction we went so the turning one didn't seem to help him.

I do have a belt, but because I've got this harness I'm 'trying' to train him to walk nicely, and I find it easier without the belt....the website says you should keep the dog on a short lead when first starting the walk so I have to hold the lead to do that anyway

I've tried stopping too....he doesn't seem bothered that he isn't moving, he'll just pull in a circle around me to sniff anything he can find. Then when he does take a break from pulling and I start walking he pulls straight away

I do have a belt, but because I've got this harness I'm 'trying' to train him to walk nicely, and I find it easier without the belt....the website says you should keep the dog on a short lead when first starting the walk so I have to hold the lead to do that anyway

I've tried stopping too....he doesn't seem bothered that he isn't moving, he'll just pull in a circle around me to sniff anything he can find. Then when he does take a break from pulling and I start walking he pulls straight away

This is what I find, stopping Kobi doesn't bother him, he just charges forward as soon as you move. I've got him on a short leash on the harness, before he charges off I'm saying heel and giving him a treat, I think it's helping keep his attention on me, what I'm hoping to do with some shorter sessions, is to get a few steps in between each heel without him pulling and slowly build it up.

Today at husky meet I have no chance lol

This is what I find, stopping Kobi doesn't bother him, he just charges forward as soon as you move. I've got him on a short leash on the harness, before he charges off I'm saying heel and giving him a treat, I think it's helping keep his attention on me, what I'm hoping to do with some shorter sessions, is to get a few steps in between each heel without him pulling and slowly build it up.

Today at husky meet I have no chance lol

The thing is with Malakai is that when he's had his 10 minutes or so of being excited that he's out again and we're walking around the estate, he can, and does, trot alongside looking up at me! This is what is SO flippin' annoying! I KNOW he can do it because he DOES......but take him out of the estate and he's just in his own husky world....pulling, darting from side to side, almost tripping me up, getting stepped on, picking up whatever he finds, chasing leaves and thinking everyone who walks towards us wants to say hello to him!

I'd love to get to a meet, but I'd have two....and Malakai + Tikaani + other dogs + new smells + new area + new people = absolute nightmare!!

The thing is with Malakai is that when he's had his 10 minutes or so of being excited that he's out again and we're walking around the estate, he can, and does, trot alongside looking up at me! This is what is SO flippin' annoying! I KNOW he can do it because he DOES......but take him out of the estate and he's just in his own husky world....pulling, darting from side to side, almost tripping me up, getting stepped on, picking up whatever he finds, chasing leaves and thinking everyone who walks towards us wants to say hello to him!

I'd love to get to a meet, but I'd have two....and Malakai + Tikaani + other dogs + new smells + new area + new people = absolute nightmare!!

He sounds like kobi's twin!

However Kobi surprised me at meet today, we put him in his no pull harness which has some elasticity in it, we attached it to his bungee lead so he had some freedom and walked to end of this at times but was very relaxed and very good mannered around the other dogs :o

We are going to get him out on a long lead like this at weekends as it was so much fun for all of us.

I understand your frustration, I know Kobi can walk beautifully to heel, he just chooses not to!

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late here, but we got our WYDWL harness today - I can't believe the difference it's made already! I can walk her without my arm being pulled off :) She had a little jump around at first, but soon settled down and walked nicely at my side as I kept the leash taught. Even tried it over both sides of her shoulder, didn't find much difference. Beauty our GSD usually pulls as well when we are out on walks, even though she knows the heel command, I think its because Isis is usually out in front, but she too walked to heel as there was no need for her to be out front.

I can see plenty of happy walks ahead - thanks Stacey!

i got 2 of the 3 i ordered - no idea why i've not received the 3rd one though?

they are amazing!!

Most likely because the packages go based on weight that the 3rd one has been sent in a seperate package, I'm just waiting for a reply email from Dan.

I can see plenty of happy walks ahead - thanks Stacey!

I'm really happy for you :)

Stacey xxx

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay these came today...walk with them was interesting to say the least...any help would be appreciated...

Had pulling for 1/2 mile...it wasn't until I had both leads tucked into opposite sides of the small of my back that it was tolerable. I'm pretty sure it needs to be adjusted but the belly is snug...so maybe the front end? ANY help is appreciated...at this point I still prefer a prong for control....but with some help THIS I can work with so...

@Stacybob Help?

Okay these came today...walk with them was interesting to say the least...any help would be appreciated...

Had pulling for 1/2 mile...it wasn't until I had both leads tucked into opposite sides of the small of my back that it was tolerable. I'm pretty sure it needs to be adjusted but the belly is snug...so maybe the front end? ANY help is appreciated...at this point I still prefer a prong for control....but with some help THIS I can work with so...

@Stacybob Help?

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] ??

Erm can u get a pic?

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

These are the times I wish I was near you so I could help you out personally.

Normally if the harness doesn't work it's down to either two things:

Incorrect Fitting

Not being used correctly.

Remember the walk your dog with love is a front "leading" harness. This means that if you are just using it in a tugging fashion, almost like tug of war, you will still cause opposition reflex. To correctly use the harness, you need to curl the dog back towards you, leading them back to your side.

I would practice a few sessions with the dogs on their own.

Stacey xxx

These are the times I wish I was near you so I could help you out personally.

Normally if the harness doesn't work it's down to either two things:

Incorrect Fitting

Not being used correctly.

Remember the walk your dog with love is a front "leading" harness. This means that if you are just using it in a tugging fashion, almost like tug of war, you will still cause opposition reflex. To correctly use the harness, you need to curl the dog back towards you, leading them back to your side.

I would practice a few sessions with the dogs on their own.

Stacey xxx

Yes, going to readjust the fit and do it one at a time today. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fit at this point in time, as when there was pulling both dogs were led back towards me. It was an interesting balancing act but I know that this isn't an instant fix...Fox and Eponine have used front clip harnesses before and Fox is a lot more difficult to work into new things than Eponine is. I don't hate this product...I just don't love it yet. If my camera chager weren't missing I'd video it and upload to utube. I'll let you know how todays walk goes.

Yes, going to readjust the fit and do it one at a time today. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fit at this point in time, as when there was pulling both dogs were led back towards me. It was an interesting balancing act but I know that this isn't an instant fix...Fox and Eponine have used front clip harnesses before and Fox is a lot more difficult to work into new things than Eponine is. I don't hate this product...I just don't love it yet. If my camera chager weren't missing I'd video it and upload to utube. I'll let you know how todays walk goes.

Just remember what I've said about leading them and see how it goes.

Stacey xxx

Jacob wanted to take Eponine for a run tonight so I just took Fox for a brief walk this afternoon...I took Fox out for a bit, because of the heat it wasn't very long. Leading from the front i think is the trouble here...*L* Had it down for a bit and then there were squirrels. I am not giving up though!!! He did most of his walk almost at a heel (with many corrections)...which is AMAZING for him