snake is sick

one of my corn snakes is ill. I've had "him" from a baby, around 6 yrs. For the last 4 yrs, it's lived with another "male" corn very happily, no food problems, territory issues, nothing. The other is about a year older, we bought it from a family who's kids had grown bored with it!

Both snakes stop eating every year around November time & don't start till March / April. Only this one has not started (well, neither has the other :rolleyes: ) but has lost SO much weight in the last few weeks. It now has a bulge 2/3 of the way down. That is why I have put "him" & "male" in speech marks, I'm wondering now do I have a sick snake or gravid one??

He / it is booked in to a local vets on Monday to see if we can figure out if it's a blockage of some sort or something else ... but I have videoed it drinking water no problem .... :sluggish:

The vet receptionist made me laugh - she asked for my details to book the appointment & asked "what is the snake's name?" - she looked rather surprised when I said it doesn't have one, it wouldn't come to me if I called it anyway!! :giggle: :lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vet receptionist made me laugh - she asked for my details to book the appointment & asked "what is the snake's name?" - she looked rather surprised when I said it doesn't have one, it wouldn't come to me if I called it anyway!! :giggle: :lol:

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww hope he's going to be ok hun xxxxxx

males usually have a longer more tapered tail from vent down. Ridged spine would suggest he's hungry, but snakes can go 6months to a year without eating....

this picture might help?

this is a gravid cornsnake.

CornGravid2640.JPG

if he's not eating try keeping him on his own, 'braining' the mice so they smell tastier or even try chicks.

males usually have a longer more tapered tail from vent down. Ridged spine would suggest he's hungry, but snakes can go 6months to a year without eating....

if he's not eating try keeping him on his own, 'braining' the mice so they smell tastier or even try chicks.

Thanks, Wiz, I separated them when I first noticed his weight loss, tried braining the rats / mice / fuzzies / pinkies, warming them, jiggling them :sluggish: but to no avail! :giggle: He (and he is confirmed as a he as I thought all along) has been in the vets today for an x-ray which showed no blockage, thankfully, but inflamed tissues, so could be a bacterial infection. Also had swabs & bloods taken & been force fed carnivorous critical care formula (pureed rat & vitamins - yummy!!) by tube into his stomach to try kickstart his appetite. Has to have 2/3 submersed baths to rehydrate (he hates 'em & shoots round the lidded tub like crazy!) as they take in water from both ends :blink: and I've to get Reptoboost to put in his baths to help. Got to try & start feeding him tomorrow too.

So, nearly £170 in vets fees plus his Reptoboost, let's hope he makes a full recovery 1lg003prayer1.gif

Oh, yes, missed this bit. I asked at the pet shop about chicks, thinking something different might give him an appetite, but they told me there is no real nutrition in chicks, they are mainly for boas, etc as an alternative inbetween it's normal rats, so I wasn't to bother with them, but another good suggestion, Claire, thanks :up:

Chicks aren't great nutritionally but different food items, even frogs, lizards, fish, chicks are all recoomended to try and get a snake eating again, you then just have to wean them back onto mice, or put the mouse at the back of the chick if they start eating the chick so they just carry on eating the mouse aswell. :) I had a snake that didn't eat for a year and i was tube feeding him every 2 weeks for months, he was even in intensive care for 3 months and ended up costing me over £600 all together, then an experienced snake owner got him eating chick and eventually mice again :)

• 5 weeks later...

he's been in & out of the vets over the last 3 weeks, they have operated on him today & there is a large swelling in the wall of his intestine. To remove it would mean taking out about 6" of inflamed intestine & trying to connect a 5mm tube to a 300mm tube, can't be done, so sadly he has had to be PTS. I know many will say it was "only" a snake, but he was the calmest one I've ever seen. I've had him since birth, over 6 yrs now. He loved being handled & got a lot of people who were nervous about snakes to handle him, he just sat there! Bit like Diesel in snake form!! so, he is now slithering over the Bridge free of pain & suffering :cry1: