How to I convince

Malamute

My dirty smelly filthy hound - I mean gorgeous striking but slightly dirty on occasion - Malamutt that having a bath is a pleasurable thing?

Up to now it's been a bit of a wrestling match between him against Deb and myself but as he grows it's getting to be worthy of a video post for laughs.

Any ideas gratefully accepted and considered!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like other training, this begins as a pup. I found that Bo's biggest problem with baths was the slippery tub. He feels more secure with a rubber mat. Also, I never fill the tub with water. The drain is always open so he is not standing in water and a hand-held shower attachment works wonderful. And, if at all possible, I bath him in the basement shower stall, easier for him to get in and out.

And don't forget to put cotton balls in his ears so no water gets in.

we had to bath Eika a week ago, she had peed on the floor and rolled around in it...no on purpose, she was excited when i got home from work and was slipping on it and kept falling...nice!

Altho she didn't mind it, i think i need to buy a rubber mat, we like Becky just used the shower head, but she did slip a lot and that scared her a little.

Oh good link olympia - added to rep :0

i have a similar problem with both my two,........they HATE it!

I now follow the following routine.....

1. 3 inches of tepid water in bath and towels all over bathroom floor

2. PJ's on and no socks ( i get soaked!)

3. hubby holds dog on lead in bath and stepdaughter has treats in a closed fist so they have to really work at getting to the food.

4. I use the shower to soak him and quickly rub shampoo all over and rinse asap!!

5. Take pissed off looking dog out of bath, place on towels close door and let him shake.

4. I use the shower to soak him and quickly rub shampoo all over and rinse asap!!

5. Take pissed off looking dog out of bath, place on towels close door and let him shake.

haha. Boy I can picture the scene.

Ya, no standing water helps. Also keeping the water not too hot or too cold helps. If I get it just warm enough where I can barely feel that it is warm (and there is no standing water) then my guy will pass out as I bathe him. If it is a little too warm or the water isn't draining fast enough then SCREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMING ensues. :ran_rolleyes:

Hmmmmm

Oh good link olympia - added to rep :0

i have a similar problem with both my two,........they HATE it!

I now follow the following routine.....

1. 3 inches of tepid water in bath and towels all over bathroom floor

2. PJ's on and no socks ( i get soaked!)

3. hubby holds dog on lead in bath and stepdaughter has treats in a closed fist so they have to really work at getting to the food.

Imagine how big he is now - it's weeks since you saw him!! Step 5 is the worst bit, our bathroom might as well be a turkish bath house by the time we get him moderately dry.

Mind you it's a laugh really!

I remember watching 'Goldie' being bathed on Blue Peter (God I must be old) - she just stood there!!!

Isis had a bath the other day - she just stood there and never even bothered to move or try and escape! I get the impression she quite enjoyed it as the next day she went outside rolled around in the mood and then raced upstairs to the bathroom!

I'm jealous. Would you be interested in coming to visit Bo during bath time? We could use the pointers!

Imagine how big he is now - it's weeks since you saw him!! Step 5 is the worst bit, our bathroom might as well be a turkish bath house by the time we get him moderately dry.

Mind you it's a laugh really!

I remember watching 'Goldie' being bathed on Blue Peter (God I must be old) - she just stood there!!!

I know - he had the runs really bad last week so thought it best not to take him and i wasn't so good this week so have lots to catch up on....will be there on Tuesday though so hope he's ready to be fussed lol

My dirty smelly filthy hound - I mean gorgeous striking but slightly dirty on occasion - Malamutt that having a bath is a pleasurable thing?

Up to now it's been a bit of a wrestling match between him against Deb and myself but as he grows it's getting to be worthy of a video post for laughs.

Any ideas gratefully accepted and considered!!

Well fortunatey I dont usually have to bath mine much as they will all clean each other and themselves (so cute to watch sometimes) but if they need a bath then they are quite good, Bandit is not a fan of bath time and one usually washes him and then the other will stand by just in case he tries to escape but he usually stand there and sulk! We usually take ours out for a long walk before bath time to tire them out which usually works ok for us.

You could get another collar and lead for him and use this only on bath time and secure the lead to either a tap or bath handle to help stop him from escaping the bath.

You will still get soaked though, sorry

A few other little tips which may help:

1) Try and make bath time into a game for him

2) Constantly talk to him

3) Keep you hand on him around the same area where the shower is

4) Make sure the water pressure isnt hitting too hard on to him, keep it soft

5) Tire him out before bath time

hope this helps, let us know

Have you tried a waterless shampoo?

Not sure how good it is but have a look at the link?

http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-shampoo/product-is-21156

I haven't tried it. He really is a clean dog, meticulously so. He spends a lot of time cleaning himself and we've always kidded each other about how cat-like he is in that respect.

He isn't as active as younger dogs, so about the only time he's really dirty is when we walk in the rain. He's pretty good about having his legs and underbelly washed, he just doesn't like his head and back wet. He'll actually had you his foot to be wiped off when its wet out.

I'll have to give the waterless a go and see how it works --

jenna does this to me all the time, luckly our 2nd bath is her shower/tub, i have to put on my swim gear and stand inside the tub with her while washing her. she even opens the shower curtin that is clear because she wants out. but yet she loves being outside in the rain. i dont get it, but yeah i will look into the bath slip mat, i wonder if thats why she hates it too. funny note we have wood floors and she runs in the house and slides i cant help but laugh...

Wooden floors

Lead to lots of sprained joints a vet told me. We have Oak floors and yes, it is hilarious watching Blizzy skating around (he even does a triple sulco!!) but we had a Schnauzer who had a lot of bother with one of his knees and even had a cartilage replaced which he tore - I'm convinced the floors weren't exactly helpful to the situation. Ended up putting rugs on all the corners.

Just be careful is my advice on it.