Embry started a fight at the dog park this afternoon

His best friend is a 6 month old Rottweiler, they play every day for an hour and are best friends. Today me and the Rottie's owner were tossing around a stick and they'd go and fetch it. All of a sudden they both ignored the stick, a few minutes later they both ran for it and just started snarling and attacking each other! I pushed Embry out of the way with my foot since they were like on back legs, and grabbed him by the collar, handed him to Keaton(my bf) and Nicole(Rottie's owner) grabbed the rottie. I ran over, grabbed the stick and threw it over the fence so they couldn't grab it. Embry obviously initiated the fight by growling and snarling beforehand. As soon as we got rid of the stick they were fine, and playing again.

What to do?! I've never owned a dog before Embry, and this obviously scared the cr*p out of me!

With some dogs, even those who are the best of friends, when they dispute over a high value item. . .

A person, food, a toy or in this case a simple stick. Things can escalate into a full on fight.

Two of ours will fight, in some cases drawing blood. . . we get them separated, and 5 minutes later they are licking each others wounds

and snuggling up to each other.

Oh Jennett, so sorry to hear this, BUT....normal....and you should read my post from today about escalating play. Mine seem to fight over Roadkill Raccoon. That's the only toy. We have tried to teach them to play tug of war, and they won't with the rope, and they will sometimes both get possessive about me and Andy will initiate the aggression. Remove the item immediately and as you said, then they are friends again. Daddy just got home and he had one on each side and Andy sneaked around his back and pushed Jackson aside...so sometimes there is just no telling. Glad it turned out okay. I wouldn't worry, but if it were me I would....do as I say, not as i do! Everyone on here has convinced me it's just dog stuff!

Kiana had never done this at the park either but two days ago she got into a fight with a dog over a stick and we are now not allowing her to have sticks at the park or approach dogs with Frisbee due to her possessive nature over the toys. Its just something they do it seems she's not the only one who does this at the park. The best thing is to remove the source of possession and just let them socialize without it I think; least that's what I've been doing and it seems to go ok.

Don't worry too much about it... Cheyenne gets fussy when dogs come near her things. Or her personal space really. And Odin had a tiff with Cheyenne over a cookie when I brought him home. You gotta remember that they're animals and they don't have convos like we do. They sort things out their own way. Not the best way... but it's their way. And I know you're still going to be a bit nervous everytime there's a toy/stick/anything involved between him and the Rottie... but the way you handled it was the best. Get rid of whatever is causing the fight and move on. And i'm sure it didn't help that they're both males! You know those males.... laugh.gif

My 2 have moments like this, sometimes its left at a simple snarl, othertimes it will escalate into a fight. They had a fight over the big octopus teddy, and a bone, and half an hour ago Kira growled at grey for taking an empty wine gum bag from next to her.

Yet they can share bowls of food, both drink from the same water bowl (at the same time) both swap bones (tho we do watch carefully) and take other toys off each other (usually) without any problems, its just random things that can set them off, and you never know what its gunna be.

We tend to let them get on with it, unless it escalates into a full fight, but even them we can normally split them up with voice only without having to move.

They go back to playing 5 minutes later :rolleyes:

Yet they can share bowls of food, both drink from the same water bowl (at the same time) both swap bones (tho we do watch carefully) and take other toys off each other (usually) without any problems, its just random things that can set them off, and you never know what its gunna be.

Just be careful Sid. I've never had any resource guarding issue with my dogs but I would never, ever let them share food bowls or bones.

Yep pretty much agree with everything said above... dogs, like people, will have their off days... my girl can be VERY possesive with toys around our boy and usually he lets he get away with it but just occasionally it p's him off and they'll tiff about it, one "OI NO!" From me and remove the toy and their back to play fighting happy as anything!

If he starts doing it on a regular basis just give him a firm NO and put him in a timeout.. couple of minutes back on the lead away from other dogs being calm and quiet and then let him off again see if that helps. :)