The ultimate Husky question

Smithy

We all know about the Husky bad traits - chewing the house, digging the garden, very bad moulting, little to no recall, high prey drive, escape artists, stubborn, not a guard dog, not very loyal (so it would seem), so why oh why do you (us) mad b%$"^& have them own us? And most not only one but multiples. Answers on a postcard, or just reply...

Personally, I think all their combined traits, good and aggravating, make them more interesting. They are never too needy, which I like. They are intelligent, I have little patience for stupid people, so a stupid dog would be agony for me. They do not have 'blind loyalty' -if your husky loves you, it's earned and an honor. Mine are best friends and buddies, not robots or slaves. They are also very self-sufficient. I look at some of these yippy-yappy dogs people carry around in pocket books (snacks according to Tala) and wonder how they would survive without their owners. I would never wonder that about any of mine. Also, you certainly never feel like you 'own' them, they are more like children. You love them unconditionally and they never ever bore you.

hmmmm>>>>>why do i like being owned by my boys....

They make me happy

They lift my spirits and keep me motivated

They keep me on my toes

You have to earn their love and respect but once you do it's amazing!

and most importantly - they have allowed me to meet all you guys!!!!

...........well they're the friendliest dogs going, make u laugh when u want to cry,...even tho its quite possible they have done something they shouldn't, they can wrap you round their little paws with a luck..............................and there's no feeling quite like running your sibe through the forest on a cold winters night! The biggest buzz ever!!!!

Excellent question !

There is that look in a Husky's eye which connects with a canine/human bond that is unshakable by anything "civilised man" can create if that makes sense ?

I agree with all the lines about "ordinary" dogs above,that isn't to denigrate any other breed,but there is a certain cachet/vibe around Huskies - we are all totally biased,of course,but I don't think you could go back to a waggy & ploddy breed after living with Sibes :)

Waiting for my 6 yr old daughter outside the school gates & we are next to Labs,Springers,Cairns etc and there was only one dog,Peiper,who got mobbed when they came out - can anyone walk more than half a mile in a town without someone stopping for a fuss ?

When Peiper went for her first check up at a famous Vet's practice on a Saturday morning,he scooped her up and showed her to all his staff and customers,and said:

"Now that's a REAL dog..."

Nuff said,end of ;)

Kevin & Pack

... they own me because it takes just one look from those two pairs of eyes of theirs and all that ails me, saddens me, worries me... everything that heighs in my heart, just dissapears!... like magic, it's all gone!... They love me when I'm sad, or tired... they couldn't care less if I bathed, brushed my teeth or hair... it won't matter if I have money or not... nothing matters to them, except to be by my side. In a nutshell, they will love me in the worse of times as much as they would in the best of times!... and all they want in return is a rub once in a while, food and water and a warm place to lay down, preferably in be with me!...

Now!... many humans are capable of such devotion?....

Sandy

When I look at huskies I think they are the most beautiful, perfect dogs I have ever seen and no other breed gives me quite that feeling, even though I love my hounds and other spitz breeds.

For some bizarre reason all the "negatives" don't bother me :D

yeah I know what you mean Bec - I don't care about the negatives at all - they are far outweighed by all their great qualities!

And besides, I like a challenge :D

More common and more biddable breeds like Border Collies, Labs, Goldies, etc bore me and I would never own one (no offense to anyone who does/wants to!) - I just don't "get" them, they aren't my cup of tea.

Give me a hound or a spitz any day :D

Brilliant Question - added to rep

Why do I enjoy being owned by 3 sibes?

I had always wanted a sibe since I was a little nipper. And when I moved in with Jamie and we had the oppertunity to have a dog I was straight on the net and reading sibe books about them.

My reasons are:

1) They love exercising (i.e. running, pulling sledes, etc)

2) They are incredibaly friendly dogs

3) Each sibe has unique markings and personality

4) They are the most enjoyable dogs Ive ever had

5) They helped me through some real tough times and made me smile again

6) They are very intelligent (even though this isnt always a good thing for us)

7) They have helped me make so many friends (on here especially :) )

8) They have helped me feel more confident about myself

9) They have amazing eyes which you can feel look straight through to your soul

I think thats most things covered there, will add if I think up any more

that is an awesome question...and i will answer what i can so far!

Having only been owned for a week and a half, the breed has owned me for much longer. Like Amy i have wanted one since i was a little girl. I went through a period of doubt about 4 years ago, a year after i first started really researching them, when i didn't think i could handle such a big dog (i started looking at piddly breeds) then mike and i discussed it at length and decided that unless we had a husky we wouldn't be satisfied...there would always be that 'what if...' question looming. Then when Jacqui emailed us, it presented the perfect opportunity, we were in our own home, had the money and the want.

Eika has brought so much joy to us already, and a lot of angst, are we doing this right, is she happy...but one look into those soppy brown eyes and you know she is happy and well loved.

I cannot wait to watch how Eika and Josh grow up together, they are already very close and i just know that bond will be there forever...

I love their intelligence, they are just the smartest dog ever and it is true, they will only listen when they want to...which makes me laugh...not get frustrated!

Why a Siberian?

This is a breed that is honest. I like that what I see is what I get. This is true whether he's happy, sad, jealous, angry, lonely. Whatever. He doesn't hide it.

He's intelligent - figures things out. It keeps me on my toes.

He's independent and doesn't feel the need to be behind me every step through the house, but at the same time I know that he is there and watching.

He's a clown. He'll do silly things just to make me smile.

He's friendly to everyone, but is loyal to me.

And he knows everything about me, but still loves me..........

why,

because Maddie loves to sleep on the bed in between me and Steve, and when I let her in in the morning, she barrels down the hallways to jump on her "dad".

when she talks to the cat, it sounds like she is saying "redrum"

she tries to get into the bathtub with me

so far, she always comes when called

she likes to be obedient, especially when dehydrated salmon is involved

she cries for me when she sees my car pull up

she keeps Mugs very happy and loves to play with him

you can see her thinking

she is beautiful

she is very affectionate

although she is only 4 and half months old, we are so happy with her

40d1calientewintercoming1-09040.jpg

40d1calientewintercoming1-09086.jpg