what do you feed your doggy?

scott

At the moment i've got my staffi and my husky on bakers complete both get some tinned meat added in to moist it up alittle. Been scouting bout the net trying to find out whats best for the dogs with best interests at heart, i've since discover that bakers has a bad reputation for itself in that there food is laced with high E numbers unnecessary colourants, and the claims they make that cant be backed up with actual evidence. I stumbled across this site http://rawfed.com/myths/ (hope management don't mind me putting links in ), this is a very interesting read and been something that i've been considering for some time now, if anyone has any advice or info that could help me i would be much appreciated many thanks in advance

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We feed our lot Best Choice - a complete food manufactured in Germany. In the past we have fed Techni-Cal, Purina Proplan (which were both excellent) and loads of others that we have tried. Best Choice is the best we have found so far!!

Mick

Firstly, welcome to the site :)

Many Sibe owners here (Inlcuding myself) feed ours on whats known as the BARF diet (Raw food diet) and many of us which do feed it will swear by it!

Here are some links about it, but I would aslo advize you to read the books "Give Your Dog a Done, by Dr Ian Billinghurst" - "Grow Your Pup With Bones , by Dr Ian Billinghurst" - "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog, By Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown, D.V.M."

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

http://ukbarfclub.co.uk/

I used to feed my boys on ProPlan to begin with which gave them runs, then we changed to Beta which they liked but again gave them runs and then we went to wainwrights which stopped the runs and they loved it to begin with but then they all had the runs again and went off the food! It was about this time that I started looking at the BARF diet and after reading about it I then changed them over and since then Ive noticed an immediate change in their poo (No runs), coats are not so dull looking, Gizmo and Bandit have gained weight (which was what we wanted as they both started to look thin), as it's mainly meat and bone they love it!

blaze had wainwrights food which he didnt touch! :eek: so thats gonna cost me cuz dad says i gotta pay for it cuz i suggested it (not fair i think still ill give it 2 bings) so blaze is on large puppy wag kibble which he seems to do well on bingo just has tinned dog food from morrissons and wag dog food and now blazes wainwrights

Kira & Tia are both on light kibble as both have been spayed and Tia in particular is prone to weight gain :confused: I would love to feed raw and Im looking into it as Kira has ZRD and raw feeding is supposed to be good for this ,although its been under control I noticed a very small red patch today.

A lot of sibe owners I know feed Arden Grange .

Isis in on Nutro Choice puppy food! She's taken to it really well and has no sloppy poos - we were advised by our breeder to add Bakers to it - but this made her have the squirts and as soon as we stopped feeding it she became more natural!

However - she also gets a variety of meat (raw) and some other meaty treats throughout the week!

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone know about using purina regualr or purina one. i used to feed jenna scince diet but prices went up to 40 plus a bag, than went to benful, and than she got tired of eating and just stopped eating it. i just went to petco and they told me about nutro but jenna wont even touch it, and my vet said to feed her something with lamb and rice i am so lost. also she is 2 can she still get trained not to jump and to listen. its like she has a mind of her own. i think she thinks she is 21 haha..

Hi Pete, have always had mine on Burns kibble so not sure about Purina - MICK i think uses this though so he may be able to help.

They're never too old to learn new tricks, but yes, they DO have a mind of their own don't they lol I would say yes, you can still teach them not to jump at 2 yrs old

does anyone know about using purina regualr or purina one. i used to feed jenna scince diet but prices went up to 40 plus a bag, than went to benful, and than she got tired of eating and just stopped eating it. i just went to petco and they told me about nutro but jenna wont even touch it, and my vet said to feed her something with lamb and rice i am so lost. also she is 2 can she still get trained not to jump and to listen. its like she has a mind of her own. i think she thinks she is 21 haha..

I fed mine on purina proplan at first and they would eat it but I had the result of constant runny poo so no longer feed it. Mine are on BARF now and haven't had a problem, the best part of it is (apart from no runs) is its mostly raw meat/fish and veg which my boys love :) so they eat everything with no fuss.

Every dog is different so Jenna may get on really well with purina with no problems. I would advise to get a small bag to begin with and see what she is like.

as for training - I always say "It's never too late to learn"

You should be able to train her not to jump at you without too many problems :)

Well my two sibes have been on raw for months now and are doing great, I also feed a mixture of a good quality dry food to assure im giving them all they need, when I first got Alaska at 7 weeks the guy gave me a bag of food which lasted the week, I e-mailed him to find out the brand as she seemed to like it but he was in China for a wedding so I had to buy her own food and I knew zilch about good and bad pet foods, so I went to tescos and bought some canned pedigree and bakers meaty chunks >>> she lost weight, had dry and flakey skin and towards the end was even loosing hair at the top of her head due to dry skin, so I went to my pet shop and bought James Wellbeloved puppy complete dog food in which I had found out later that she had been weaned onto it when the guy got back from China lol:ran_biggrin:

Heres a link for the Wellbeloved food:

http://www.wellbeloved.com/

So I think its great youre considering raw, I saw some great improvements such as:

Shiny coat

White teeth

No foul breath

No foul smelling doggy farts ..ewww lol

More energy

Healthy and havent had any problems with dry skin and generally less vet bills

And they absolutely love and it makes life a little more interesting

Raw meats I feed:

Chicken thighs

Chicken legs

Chicken necks

Chicken breasts

Turkey legs

Turkey necks

Lamb necks

Lamb ribs

Minced lamb

Lamb back

Lamb cuts

Also sibes love fish and it is very good for them >> im not sure if youre staffy will like it but its worth a shot, I feed raw and tinned fish:

Mackerel

Salmon

Tuna

Red snapper

Sardines

I feed organs too:

Chicken heart

Lamb heart

Lamb liver

Chicken liver

Turkey heart

I feed veggies cooked and raw >> if I cook them then I add the water in which they have been steamed because that is kind of the best bit:

Carrots

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Runner beans

Mashed corn

Fruit:

Apple

Banana

Things I add once a week to meals:

-1 egg a week including a crushed and mashed egg shell << this a great source of calcium and can be given raw

-A few spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil cold pressed >>> good for skin and insides << full of fatty acids and omega 3

-and only recently have started adding natural bio yogurt >> its great for their digestive system, I have had to add it to their food as they have been eating a lot of grass and had been puking, but from now on its a table spoon once a week in meals

I also feed tripe which you can get from pet stores, they sell them in frozen blocks and bags >> I find the tripe bulks them up especially if your sibe doesnt eat a lot, I will feed a tripe block between them with a handful of dry food and a handful of cereal, I add these because the tripe is very rich and I use the plain corn flakes and dry food as mixers for the stomach.

I started off with chicken legs and thighs as raw chicken and the bones are very easy on the digestive system, dogs seem to love them and for a growing puppy its what they need, for you I would not feed your sibe puppy red meats until hes a little older, I started off my two on lamb and beef at 6 months and organs at 8 months >> it can give them terrible runs if you do not do it slowly, the chicken he should be fine on straight away.

Heres one of my regimes for the day:

They have their exercise in the morning and then at:

1 3pm get their first meal >> I never feed it at the exact same time as if their system is too dependant on a set time it could muck them up if one day you feed otherwise.

So first meal of the day:

3 cups of James wellbeloved duck and rice puppy and turkey and rice junior >>> at 6 months you should start to feed junior with the puppy until 18 months and then switch to adult, the reason you should feed puppy and junior kibble until 18 months is because with medium/ large breed dogs they grow slower so are still considered a puppy until about 18 months. Plus with the dry food I can put it into one bowl as they dont fight over their kibble, the boy Balto eats more than Alaska so between them they usually eat about 2 2 cups for their first meal.

Second meal of the day at 6 9pm

They get one block of tripe to share in a bowl with a handful of kibble and cereal and maybe one egg,

And then in the garden Ill give them 2 chicken wings each or one lambs neck each >> and at opposite ends of the garden I might add as Balto eats really quickly and Alaska is all for defending her chicken wings to the end lol

If you dont have a blender or juicer as ours just recently broke down, I dice the veggies and mash them up and usually add it to the tripe >> for now im steaming the veggies and then added the water which turns green >> its full of healthy iron.

However before I would get some broccoli, carrots, runner beans and an apple and put it in the blender and make a smoothie ( all from raw veggies), put it into freezer bags and freeze them, defrost over night and add to meals in the day, dogs are mainly meat animals however in the wild wolfs often pick berries and leaves and such, so id say about 80% meat and 20% veggies and dry food, as I have found out the veggies help everything pass smoothly in their digestive systems.

I dont know how old your sibe puppy is but by the picture he looks young, so I would cut my regime in half, a tripe block for the day and 1-2 chicken legs with 1 cup of dry food.

I like to give dry food as it assures me they are getting all they need and you never know if one day they may need to go to a friends or the vets overnight or even on holiday and the dry food is more convenient than raw and if you get yourself a good quality one then thats best, also there was one point were I couldnt afford raw one week so they had to have dryand we all know how fussy sibes are so its important for my sibes to still be accepting of dry food.:rolleyes:

Here are some raw diet link that helped me:

http://www.barfworld.com/

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/about-barf-feeding/what-is-barf.php

Oh and p.s im looking forward to trying rabbit and duck:rolleyes: