Furminator

Anne

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen this in our pet shop, its quite expensive and i wasn't sure if it did work like it said!...so me and sister in law were going to share the cost as her GSD is long haired and sheds a lot as well...will be interested to know if it works as good as it says it does!

I have two of them.. one large and one small... they are the greatest thing since bread!.... I love brushing them and they love been brushed with the furminator.... we have white furniture at home and since we got this brush, we have eliminated the hair from all over... LOVE IT!

I highly recommend it!...

Sandy

I've used one and I didn't love it, although it may have been the wrong 'type' for a Sibe. I found it cut Micha's top coat and stripped a lot of his colour, it took a long time for the guard hairs to grow back.

I just use a slicker brush.

I have one but find it's only useful on the 'shorter' hair in the coat. It works great everywhere on my boy EXCEPT on his neck where the fur is the thickest. For the neck area where the Furminator doesn't work well I use a double row undercoat rake. But that's when I use a brush, most of the time I just use a high velocity dryer to blow out the undercoat which is ten times better than any brush IMO.

I've heard the argument that the Furminator pulls out the guard hairs/outer coat, but I have found that not to be the case in all my use. In fact, at the end of my boy's spring blow he tends to loose a smattering of guard hairs and none of the brushes, Furminator included, will remove it. Again, the hv dryer comes in very handy for this too. ;)

I have one but find it's only useful on the 'shorter' hair in the coat. It works great everywhere on my boy EXCEPT on his neck where the fur is the thickest. For the neck area where the Furminator doesn't work well I use a double row undercoat rake. But that's when I use a brush, most of the time I just use a high velocity dryer to blow out the undercoat which is ten times better than any brush IMO.

I've heard the argument that the Furminator pulls out the guard hairs/outer coat, but I have found that not to be the case in all my use. In fact, at the end of my boy's spring blow he tends to loose a smattering of guard hairs and none of the brushes, Furminator included, will remove it. Again, the hv dryer comes in very handy for this too. ;)

I haven't had any problems...not even around the neck area... and it does not pull out Nina's or Shiloh's outer coat hairs either!... :confused:

I really love it... it's fast and works great for me...

Sandy

It wasn't that the furminator pulled the guard hairs out but that it cut them... I know a few Sibe owners who have had the same problem, but it might be to do with the size or type of furminator we've used... we don't have a big selection here in Oz :)

I had the same problem with the Mars Coat King.

It wasn't that the furminator pulled the guard hairs out but that it cut them... I know a few Sibe owners who have had the same problem, but it might be to do with the size or type of furminator we've used... we don't have a big selection here in Oz :)

I had the same problem with the Mars Coat King.

Well what do you mean by size? I was under the impression that the different sizes were only in how wide the blade was. I have the largest size by the way. Still I have not noticed it either cutting or pulling the guard hairs since I knew this was a concern before I even bought it. Any chance it's a slightly different coat length/type that might cause the cutting of the guard hairs?

ETA: I saw that Furminator now has a new line out as well. Now you can choose between the Original, the new Double blade (has two rows), or the other new one with the single blade but it has a button you can press to extract the hairs from the blade. ;)

HL... I don't know TBH! All I know is that I had this problem as did a few of the Sibe owners I know, and a few breeders on another list I am on won't use it after their experiences.

I have no idea if the coat type was different, my Sibe's coat is certainly within the breed standard.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I v had the furminator for over a week now and Iv found it does a great job taking out the loose undercoat and that Iv not had as much fur lying around the floor in the morning ,I used my normal rake first then the furminator and I got loads out .I paid 33 but you can buy them on e-bay for twenty odd quid :rolleyes: