Does anyone have a Great Dane?

My sister-in-law has had four Great Danes. First one did not get very large, in fact it was quite small in comparison to the standard. It lived the longest of any that she had. They seem to be more prone to cancer, due to their growth rate or else there's a genetic key that's supposted to stop cell growth and it does not fit the lock (if that makes any sense). They also have a larger than average amount that succumb to heart problems. Wonderful dogs, if you can take the short life span and deal with the grief of losing one.

You are right Dave, they do have heart problems. After Storms death we were going to get another Dane and found one who needed a home urgently - but before he came to us he needed to be neutered. He died on the operating table from heart failure. That was really very sad.

thanks guys - it's my parents in law who are getting one (they just lost Molly) we pick her up on Sunday actually - at 6 weeks, don't get me started, i have had the arguments etc with them... - and was just wondering what people feed them, and if there's anything special we need to be doing?

I'm actually getting a bit pee'd off with my SIL, she just thinks she knows all about dogs and stuff, and she hasn't got a clue - rargh, really grates on me - like she said, oh it's fine that they come home at 6 weeks, the mother is already done with them by then anyway...so i said about the bite inhibition and other stuff they learn with the other puppies...and she just ignored it.

Also, introducing the pup to Angel and [our] Eika - does this NEED to be done separately as she keeps going on about that as Angel is the alpha dog (have tried to explain to her that the dogs shouldn't be alpha, you should be, but again, another story) then she needs to meet Bella [dane] first and that i should bring Eika over later. Now i have a concern that if Angel takes on a protective manner that when Eika comes over and gets near the baby that Angel is going to attack her and we could have problems - am i worrying over nothing?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sarah, my Great Dane was extremely gentle and loving. She loved all dogs, cats, and children without exception and took everything in her stride. I would introduce them, as with any other breed - on neutral ground if possible, maybe meet up with them at an on-lead park and walk together for a while and see how that goes. As she is so young your husky may need to be introduced slowly as you don't want to frighten her.

Storm did not once growl or nip at any dog and was always the peacekeeper - but, they are certainly not push overs and will not hesitate to protect themselves or their loved ones against any threat - nobody would want to anger a Great Dane, as they are extremely powerful animals. Their size alone is usually enough to intimidate anyone with suspicious motives.

One thing I would suggest is that your parents take her to puppy classes (very important with a Dane) and train her from day one not to jump up on people. I would also suggest your parents join the Great Dane forum Chezell posted.

I am sure if they are introduced correctly a Husky and a Great Dane can be the greatest of friends.

Edit: sorry - obviously at 6 weeks she is way to young for a walk in the park

Sarah, Join the Great Dane forum AGAIN. . .under a completely random name and give a different location, maybe even different country.

THEN you can ask the questions for the problems she is encountering. She'll probably think that these other people are just having

the same problems as her.

if she even bothers to go to the forum for help.

Andy, that is a fab idea, thank you - i will do that.

Thank you Rosemary...that's my concern that Eika is just going to be very jumpy for a small puppy and if Angel [GSD] has already got slightly protective of her because Eika wasn't in the house when they were first introduced i can see it going horribly wrong. I guess we will just have to see how it goes on Sunday as there is no telling her what to do. Her and Mikey got into an argument about it yesterday...

Oh dear 6 weeks really is too young... especially for a larger breed which mature much slower than other breeds! They have further to grow so really should stay with mum untill 10weeks! I dont know that much about Danes, however I would say look into large breed puppy foods which containe glucosamine condroitin (P@H brand, Wainrights is the one I know of), this will really help the development of bones and cartalidge. Intros will be tricky as you cant take her out yet..? Id say slowly and gentley... take the older dogs out for a long walk so they are less exuberant and wont scare the little one. Whatever order you do it keep it supervised and Sarah dont be afraid to correct your sisters dog if she starts getting over protective of the baby, thats not her job and she needs to be told that no matter what your sister says!

oh i plan on taking Eika for a long walk, although to be honest, no matter how long it is, she will have her energy back in like 10 seconds, she is hyper and will always find energy from somewhere! And i will correct Angel big time.

We're introducing in the garden, so semi-neutral and mike's mom is going to be holding her so in excitement she can't be trodden on.

They won't listen to me with regards to food, so again there's no point me trying!!

Sarah, sounds like you're banging your head on a brick wall with all your help & advice being ignored :( just keep the suggestions coming with them & hope it plants a seed that they can think about, even if they turn round & say, if it works, it was their idea all along!! :lol:

aww cute photo!!

Well we're not collecting Bella today, she is quite sick, as she was the runt and had to be bottle fed she picked up an infection. So became sick. i don't know the full story as i didnt go with them to the breeder this morning - however they are bringing home a different pup and will see how Bella is in a couple weeks time and might get her as well - mad people i tell you.

i will keep you updated on it all, but i'm not impressed to be honest.