Where did you find your husky?

BrandNew

I've actively been searching the internet for a new siberian friend and it's harder than I thought. I really want a pup but they are very expensive and I just don't have the means to spend 600 bucks. In the spirit of that topic though, where did you meet your huskies?

Chloe, my ex-husky, was gotten from the SPCA. She was a pure white husky with the split eye and she only cost 100 bucks. Was that a good deal do you think? Anyways, it's rare to find huskies just like that so I was pretty lucky.

I would suggest that if you can't afford to spend much buying a pet, then don't buy one. What happens if it becomes ill or has to have an operation, would you have the means to pay for it then? Just something to think about.

I got my 2 from Dunc on here

I know it's probably not the answer your looking for but I agree with Sarah. I would wait until you know you can afford to keep and buy a dog.

I bought all 3 of mine from breeders but when I can I hope to have a female (not for breeding) and I want to get a rescue husky but I don't want to get one yet as:

1) Don't have enough space

2) I would like to get my boys castrated before getting a female

3) We are hoping to buy a house of our own by the end of the year

4) We can't afford 4 huskies

As Sarah and Im saying don't get a dog/pet until you are financialy ready and you feel ready yourself

Yeah, they are expensive and you need to make sure that you can afford to feed them and pay for any necessary treatments, especially in today's econominc climate, it's going to be increasingly hard to ensure you have money available for emergencies.

If you can get one from a shelter then that's great but bear in mind the extra expenses you may have to face :)

Cost is irrelevant to me if the breeder is good. I would never go to a backyard breeder who just breeds for the sake of it, or a breeder who doesn't do the necessary health testing like hip scores before breeding.

The fact is if you don't go to a rescue, a puppy from a good, ANKC/UK kennel club or AKC registered, ethical breeder will not be cheap. The main thing to remember is that good breeders often have waiting lists full of potential puppy buyers, and a dog from a good breeder will take time to find. I hear a lot of puppy buyers who want a puppy *now* - I researched for six months before deciding on my breed and finding a good breeder. Sometimes it takes time, but it is worth it in the end. The internet is not the only place to find a pup - sometimes you need to look interstate or contact breeders via your country's controlling canine club (the AKC if from the sounds of it you are in the USA?)

I see two option when looking for a dog: go to a rescue or a registered, ethical breeder. There are a lot of dodgey breeders and puppy farms out there so it pays to be careful and do your research.

As others have said remember that the initial cost of buying a pup or dog is nothing compared to the ongoing costs of dog ownership.

as everyone else has said they are expensive in the uk you are looking at 700-800 or more for a decent kc reg dog as for the after care i would highly reccomend getting insurance my little lad is insured now in case anythink go wrong although i don't know if they do pet insurance in usa.we had a lab before and the insurance was a absolute god send.

my Tikaani was birthday present from daughters and wife

Nikita was given to me by friends that got her after seeing Tikaani and had to have one without doing homework first..

after 3 months realised couldnt run a pub and have her ... MY GAIN.. asked me if i would give her a home....

would i damn right i would...

I got Sakora for free from some people that had to have her cause she was pretty and did not take the CONS of this breed into consideration, My gain though they imported her from the U.S Paid $1500.00 for her shes AKC reg so I lucked out, Also I had my name on a list for rescued Siberians or malamutes!( I was putting the add up in the store when they asked if I wanted her) Thats another way of getting a dog, Also sometimes when you do go through some rescue agencys you can luck out and met the previous owners!

I didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion about the price of dogs. I do have the means to care for a dog, I've had pets all my life. Nothing wrong with trying to find a good deal.

Buying a puppy is not about finding a good deal, because more often than not this means you are going to sacrifice a lot of important breeding requirements - like health testing, pedigree papers (not important on their own but no reputable breeder breeds unpapered dogs), the experience and assistance you get from going to a reputable and ethical breeder.

Breeding dogs is an expensive exercise and not something you cut corners or costs on to save money. That is why a well bred pup from a good breeder is not cheap.

ETA: Too bad you don't live in Oz, we have lots of Sibes in rescues and shelters here :( The breed is too popular for its own good.

I got Bo from a BYB 14 years ago. We didn't realize the problems that BYB cause legitimate breeders - back then I don't think it was a term people even understood or knew about (perhaps only I didn't???)

Fortunately he hasn't had lots of health problems - he has arthritis now and we're dealing with that. I would love to have another but would have to rid myself of a husband first. (He loves animals - has a lab/rottie that goes EVERYWHERE with him --- just doesn't appreciate the hair all over -- WHAT HAIR?)