Introduction

Hi everyone,

I am a first time dog owner. Smokey is my one and only Siberian Husky. He is a little less than a year. My husband got him from an owner who couldn't handle keeping him in his apartment and was going to turn him in to the shelter. Unfortunately I had no idea how different Huskys are from the average and stereotypical dog. So boy was I in for a surprise. I want to be a responsible husky owner so I have joined this forum and have done tons of research but I definitely need more help. Please keep an eye on us and try to answer our questions as Smokey and I embark on this journey together.

Smokey and Amina

Amina welcome to the forum :D I am sure you will get all the help you need here. Just ask away. When I got my first puppy I spent hours here (actually days) reading posts and still found I needed lots of help - it is an ongoing experience. Please post photos - we LOVE photos.

Hi Amina, welcome to the Pack. Kudos for taking Smokey in and giving him a furever home. Glad to see you want to learn up on Huskies. They are an active breed, highly intelligent, but also very focused. They require both physical and mental exercise. Spend some time training Smokey. Start with the simple commands, like sit, stay, shake. Cardinal Rule: Don't let him go off leash. Huskies love to run, and if you let one go off leash, chances are all you will see is hind quarters and tail as he disappears. Develop a bond with Smokey and take him for walks. He may pull at first, and if so, you may want to look at getting a harness to keep pressure off his neck. Just a few ideas to get you started. Good luck and enjoy the forum.

Welcome!

This is the right place to come! And what a challenge taking on a Husky as your first dog laugh.gif We're here to help you get through it, and listen to you scream when they're making you crazy tongue.gif

Through all the naughty things they get into and the huge craters they dig, we love them no matter what! It's probably a sickness cool.gif