a husky just found its new human

hi all! i just wanted to stop in and introduce myself and my new son. My name's Chris and i just adopted a 2year and 4month old beautiful blue eyed boy from the Peninsula Humane society. currently his name is Buddy but I was going to see if anyone here had some advice on whether or not I should try to change his name? I really dont care for the name Buddy and would like to change it but I was a little concerned as to if it would just confuse the hell out of him too much. Any advice guys? A little about Buddy he had been sitting at the Humane society for around four months. Previous owner information said that he was too destructive. BS! He's been with me for about a week now and nothing has been wrecked. I believe that they just neglected the hell out of him. He twitches if you move your hand too fast within eyesight, I think they beat him. He's super skinny (he weighs 53.5 lbs) but he looks abnormally skinny. And he's super affectionate to humans. It just sounds to me that they left him alone all the time and mistreated him. Anyways enough rambling, only thing wrong with him is he's very dog aggressive and whines when I'm at work. Both things are just parts that need to be attended to and in time will be all right. Nothing a little hard work and loving wont fix.

Can't wait to read as much as I can here! Oh yeah I will try to post some pictures this weekend!

Hi, welcome to the site. So glad he has found someone to love and care for him. I like the name Buddy. My two are very young so can't give you any advice on the name changing or dog aggressive problem but am sure someone will be able to help. Have fun with your new best bud ;) Looking forward to seeing some pics of him.

Hey, Chris and welcome to the pack.

Fantastic that you have rehomed this wonderful Husky, Sounds you are the right kind of person for him.

One of the principle causes of destructiveness is Lack of proper exercise. Huskys need MILES of exercise every day if not they become bored and have too much pent up energy which manifest in chewing EVERYTHING in sight.

Read other posts here for a proper exercise regime.

As for changing his name, yes it should not be a problem. We have a 2 year old White GSD who was called Ginny when we got her, Changed her name to Echo within a few days she was responding to it, no problem.

Any other info or problems you have Just HOLLER because someone on this site will know how to solve it.

Best of luck

oh, yeah post some pictures of Buddy or whatever you call him. . . biggrin.gif

welcome to the pack :) our pup was called roxy but we changed it 2 skyla - we just kept calling her by her new name n giving loads ov fuss when she responded 2 it - she picked it up within a couple ov days - shes only 4 months old but dont see y u shud have a probblem changing buddys name - cnt w8 2 c pics ov him :)

Hi Chris

A very big welcome to the pack, congratulations on rehoming your new boy :D

Changing his name shouldn't be a problem at all, my girl Maia came from rescue & she didn't have a name when she was abandoned by the breeder & the home called her Mocca but she started responding to her new name of Maia within a day of being home with us :D

Oh & don't forget those pics :lol: xxx

Hi and welcome to the pack :) Sounds like he's got a great forever home with you :up:

Look forward to seeing you around and can't wait to see come pics of him - let us know what name you go for - i can't see there being any problems in renaming sibes are so clever, he'll have a new personality to go with his new name :D

Hi Chris we rehomed one of my boys about 6 month ago he's 2 years old, his name was Bentley lol we chaned it to Thor with no probs, we just stopped using his name and called him Thor he took to it like he'd always had it xxxx

oh and welcome to the site xxxx

Hi, Chris, welcome to the pack :wave:

congrats on rehoming Buddy, he may take a little while to settle down & not be afraid but given time & patience, I'm sure he'll work out just fine in your pack! He is still quite young, I would imagine he'd soon get used to a name change. We rehomed Diesel when he was 6 yrs old & thought he was too used to his name so left it, but at just over 2 yrs, Buddy will adjust no problem, I'm sure, :D

New home, new family, new name.

I think it's best to start new, unless you like the name of course wink.gif.

Mickey was obviously owned by someone before i picked him up at animal control. He grew to like Mickey quickly. And Raleigh is about 3 or so, and i changed his name... well i guess i never really knew his "real" name either. But he got it after a week or so.

And just an FYI. Most shelters pick their names from a baby book or just generic dog names. Just because he had it when you adopted him doesn't necessarily mean it was the name his owners gave him.

Welcome!

wow tons of love here! i decided on his name finally. his new name is going to be Nanuq. pronounced na-nook just in case :) oh yea i think my dog is broken. he's too mellow. follows me EVERYWHERE. cant get him to stay on his feet because he's always rolling over to get a belly rub. doesnt speak. nose is always cold and wet. has a very gentle mouth when taking treats. always wants to put his paw in my hand. always sits at my feet......oh wait he's not broken. he's just being awesome! just a little update we got back from the vet yesterday after getting three teeth pulled out and an overall checkup. vet was very impressed. Nanuq had no problems letting the doc open his open to check how the dental work went. didnt care when the doc pulled his tail up. didnt care when the doc dug around inside his ears with a giant cotton swab. and was perfect when the doc took him into the back to do some blood work. needless to say the staff there like him a lot. ok enough bragging. this little guy has no problems taking pills fortunately. im so relieved about that part. and this friday will be his first visit to the groomers. need to get him an over all cleaning. he's a litle smelly from the Humane Society and in desperate need of nail work.

thats such good news. nanooq or various spellings of the name is very popular for boys.

Great to see that he so placid especially with all the probing and poking at the vets.

you are doing a wonderful job.

Welcome to the Pack. Good for you taking in a rescue. Can't wait to see some pics.

Welcome to the pack!! And yes, we do need pics of Nanuq!!

Well done for rescuing him, sounds like his previous life might not have been great :( But he sounds like a fantasic dog, such a good boy!! Brag away! lol

lol the groomers told me there might be something wrong with my dog. i freaked. she said yea there might be something wrong because he didnt freak out with any of the process. she told me the other six huskies she has always freak out and go ape crap. i laughed. told her no, he's just that mellow. then she asked if she could have Nanuq. i almost peed myself laughing.

other note i think there really is something wrong with him though. i've had him for a full week now and he has been eating regular but he has only pooped once so far. should i be worried? or just be patient for one really gigantic poop? lol.

ps i promise to have some pictures up by sunday night. promise. and once again thanks to every one here with furry kids and a great heart!

another chris, always a good start. I'm new too to all this but have to say its a great site. Thats good you have rehomed a husky .. it will take a while to get the dog used to your surroundings but your get there, lots of exercise and time, and he will end up looking after you. I take mine out about 2 hours in the morning amd same in the evening, we have horses too so they run around with them in=between. ashton pulls me along on my push bike ... he loves that, never gets tired