New playmate for Marley??

wolfpup

We have now had two successful home checks  - one from SHWA and the other from Howls for Help  (yesterday)    I am really hopeful that Howls for Help can find us a suitable new playmate for Marley  - Danielle (the homechecker) had one in particular in mind - a husky mix - not currently advertised, but will be sending me more detail on two others as well.

Marley wasn't exactly on his best behaviour  -  one of her females is about to come into season,   - and Marley is still intact,  - so was VERY interested in her.  :lovebone::oops::facepalm:

Luckily she saw the funny side and understood.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found out a bit more about the husky mix  -  turns out she isn't a mix  - she is a full sibe  - agouti  - woolly - like Marley   - was sent a photograph of her last night  - she is stunning.   she was bought as a pup to breed from  - never bred  -  living in a household of several dogs  - one of which hates her  -   and several cats as well  (good news for my socks)  -  evidently she is not exercised - and a puller  -  not surprising if she isn't exercised.   She is also intact  - so will have to be spayed.   I think she is 2 or 3 years old  (age needs to be confirmed).

Could take a few weeks  -  as the dog is currently still with the owner  -  and needs to be informed the centre has found a possible home for her.

Am hopefull  - but a meet is essential first.    She is currently  around 60-70 miles away so not too far.

good luck hope it all works out and she and Marley get on well.

Fingers crossed for you and for her, she sounds in real need of a good home. Thank you for rehoming too, there are so many dogs and too few people who don’t want a cute puppy. If she moves in, she’ll be one lucky dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UPDATE:  Was on facebook ALL last night with the head of Howls for Help rescue and second in command admin  and also the present owner of the dog in question.     Turns out she has a few problems  (there's a surprise)  - but I am determined to try and help her.   As HFH have no foster families available I am going to foster her, with a view to eventual adoption provided we can get rid of her issues.     Cannot say too much at present obviously.

Know some of you guys work closely with husky rescue centres  -  can I pick your brains please?   How can I go about trying to raise funds for HFH  -  they have had an unexpected £4,000 bill saving a dog from parvo that has drained all their resources.    All I am after are suggestions  -  not asking for money.

I adopted my shepherd/husky mix from a rescue.  He definitely came with some issues, and I'm so glad that he has "unwound" and worked through most of them. If you met him, you would think he was family dog that we had since he was a pup...not a dog who was scheduled to be put to sleep because nobody could touch him. Most of the credit goes to his foster mom, who helped him to learn that humans are OK. Big changes are definitely possible!

Anyway, the ways they raise money:
- adoption fees 
- annual Dog Walk for all "alumni", it costs $25
- email newsletter with updates and appeals (it does not come often, so it's not annoying at all)
- big Donate button on their website homepage

Also they have special relationships with local vets and shelters, so I don't think they are paying "standard prices" for vet care.

Exciting that you and Marley may be getting another dog friend! 
( I really hope that one of her issues is not aggressiveness towards other dogs though...that could turn into a nightmare...)

54 minutes ago, Shepsky5 said:

I adopted my shepherd/husky mix from a rescue.  He definitely came with some issues, and I'm so glad that he has "unwound" and worked through most of them. If you met him, you would think he was family dog that we had since he was a pup...not a dog who was scheduled to be put to sleep because nobody could touch him. Most of the credit goes to his foster mom, who helped him to learn that humans are OK. Big changes are definitely possible!

Anyway, the ways they raise money:
- adoption fees 
- annual Dog Walk for all "alumni", it costs $25
- email newsletter with updates and appeals (it does not come often, so it's not annoying at all)
- big Donate button on their website homepage

Also they have special relationships with local vets and shelters, so I don't think they are paying "standard prices" for vet care.

Exciting that you and Marley may be getting another dog friend! 
( I really hope that one of her issues is not aggressiveness towards other dogs though...that could turn into a nightmare...)

Food agression towards other dogs is one of them.

7 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

Oh wow...that's a tough one! 😧
I guess at first, you will have to feed them in separate rooms or in their crates, and be very careful with bones and treats too...

Its the bones that's worrying me  -  Marley has a habit of nagging for a lamb's rib, then taking it to the lounge - leaving it - but sitting a few feet away - never taking his eyes off it.   God help Lunar (or the cat) if they went anywhere near it   - although with Lunar it never developed into anything - he soon learned to avoid a strange bone on the floor if Marley was anywhere in the vicinity  -  if however Marley was in the garden - it was bye-bye bone  -  sort of  "snooze & you lose" attitude.    I have new dog gates installed downstairs - and to start with I will have the dogs on either side of the largest gate for treat bones (i.e. one in the lounge and one in the hallway).   At least now Marley has realised the cat does not like bones so ignores him even if the cat actually walks over the prized bone!

Other issues include peeing in the house, evidently only on carpets not on hard floors (but not limited to those two issues - and I had the stairs and upstairs re-carpeted last month)!.     Once I know the exact date and rough time of the new arrival my dog trainer is going to be here to supervise the introductions  -  he works with the difficult/agressive cases for one of our largest local rescue centres  -  a regular  doggie  Dr. Dolittle.    Training on Marley will cease and he will take over training of the new dog instead  (cannot afford both) until he deems it time to start walking the dogs together.

Marley never got on with a crate  -  the rescue centre is going to lend me a crate for the new dog  - evidently it spends a lot of its time currently in a crate  - so I am not really sure how it will react to a crate here.

Interesting times ahead.

Does anyone else have any ideas for raising money for the rescue centre please?   Hubby came up with the idea of crowd-funding  -  but have no idea of how this works.

There are quite a few huskies where I live  (see them around) but dont know where any of them live  - to speak to etc so cannot contact them.    Other than that I only know you guys  -  and I am out on a limb here   - and dont have a secure dog park I can use   -  the nearest to me is near Southport.    We do have fantastic estuary walks though with seats around every 250 yards for anyone who needs a short break (like me) before continuing!   I will however suggest this to the rescue centre  -  they do walks for adopters  -  maybe they should do one and people pay to help the rescue.

She is expected to be here on Friday afternoon -  and the rescue wanted her spayed on Monday  - but I cannot get her in with my vet until Wednesday of next week.   At least the poor dog will have a few days here before the op!   I got so see a part of her assessment form   -  Inca's vet is  almost in a straight line right across the country on the opposite coast so she is going to have at least a 4 1/2 hour travel to get here.

Then she has to face Marley !!!!!    Saying that we took Marley to the estuary this afternoon for a couple of hours on his 30ft lead   - and by the time he had met a dozen dogs he was walking past them - just like a normal dog   :doglaugh:

I had another visit from the rescue centre today   -  they have come across additional information that they were unaware of  -  I cannot talk about it  (yet)  - but suffice to say I am even more determined to give this dog a home and help rehabilitate her.

10 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Doesnt have to be an offlead meet , if you've got some nice areas around go for a nice long onlead walk meet up 

The Wyre Estuary is a fantasic place  -  two distinct areas,  one wide open space for off lead running  - but take a different turn and there is a long walk through wooded areas, alonside the estuary  -  great views,  wild blackberries, damson trees, hazelnut trees etc.    The other area is more for walking on lead  but do get some off lead dogs but not as many  - fantastic views of the estuary, wooded areas,  plenty of seating every couple of hundred yards etc.

However  I am afraid this is going to have to take a back seat for a while

HFH went to pick up the dog I was supposed to foster yesterday - and when they got there after nearly 4 hours driving   - the dog was no longer there  -  they said that the husband's father had taken the dog.    They did not even appologise for not ringing the rescue centre to stop them travelling all that way.      She was on facebook two nights previously agreeing to them coming down to pick the dog up !   The centre wasted £60 in petrol money and two people's time!

The centre has another dog in mind for me  -  a dog that shuts down completely with strangers  or if taken outside.   It is scared of everything   -  they think that because Marley is such a confident, yet gentle, dog he will be able to help us help this dog.   He is currently with the woman who rescued him initially - and is obviously very well cared for from photographs I've seen, ........  but she is in and out of hospital a lot   (genuinely  -  the woman who runs HFH has met her on several occasions - and the dog).   They are hoping to set up a meet & greet between Marley and him on Wednesday evening.    This one is 70 miles away.

Wish us luck that the two dogs get on.

Further update.  HFH contacted me about a dog that another rescue centre has been trying to get hold of for 2 months - but have not found a foster home willing/able to take him.  Evidently this is a male huskyXmal 8 months old kept in a flat, gets taken for a walk 2 times a week - owner rarely at home and wants the dog gone asap.   An assessor managed to get the dog out for a walk with her dogs - says it stinks of pee  - evidently it pees in the place where it is 'locked up' then lays in it all the time.  No vaccinations, no microchip.

It is not aggressive to other dogs - but not been tested with cats  - the owner wont allow them to try and test it - he says the dog has never seen a cat because he is locked up all the time.  It is evidently extremely boisterous, no doggie manners, not socialized.   I have said I will take it on as a foster / probable later adoption and they are now trying to contact the owner to get the dog out asap.   The dog is a long way away  - about 20 miles from where my son lives

My cat is not going to be happy because he has gotten used to coming down  whenever he wants - going out into the garden etc  -  he is going to be trapped behind a 4ft dog gate for the next month or so while we assess this dog.      I have seen a couple of photos  -  black & white  blue eyed with a black 'bandit' mask around his eyes.  No idea as to size though.   First job is to give the poor thing a bath  -  hubby wont allow him in the house without one  -  and that will be after a 7 hour journey - poor little mite.    The one thing he has got going for him is that he is only 8 months old   -  time enough to rectify any damage.    Just hope the rescue centre can get him out.

He would be a lucky pup to have you....

We have vets here that will do a collection found can for people doing rescues.

There is a couple of privately owned pet stores where I have seen donation cans.

open an account at a bank for people to do donations.

How about local radio stations.

35 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

There is a couple of privately owned pet stores where I have seen donation cans.

That's a good idea.     Got confirmation around midnight that the dog will be here tomorrow around 4pm  -  two sets of transport meeting halfway and swapping him over.    Its a 7 hour drive - and that is without stopping!

Howls For Help already have a bank account etc to make donations to. It would have to be the people working for them who would set up things like that. A rescue local to me was closed down recently due to dodgy goings on with money amongst other things! However you could probably do fundraising through Just Giving etc for a sponsored event

Good luck with this dog I hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Howls for help have currently got an appeal going on facebook that I have already given to  -  they need £300 to pay vet fees for one of their dogs that had to be put out  of his pain - and the dog's two brothers' kennel fees  They need £300  but have only raised £45 so far.  I am getting a ladies knitting group to make blankets for the dogs  - or for them to sell to raise money. 

Today has been spent getting loads of buckets ready to bath him when he arrives,  driving to the butchers to get minced beef and rabbits,  now off to the raw food shop to get sardines, herrings, lamb breast & heart complete (for Marley as well), and to see if they have any lamb's ribs  - our butchers have stopped doing them.   He is booked in with my vet's at 10.10am Thursday for a full check-over and with our dog trainer at 2pm on Thursday.

Marley is currently asleep next to me  -  rest while you can baby boy   - tomorrow is going to be quite a shock for you  ;)

Exciting!! You will have your hands full.  I think he'll have a great new life! 
Please share his pic! 

So it's going to be a big shock for him...

I know I don't have to tell you this,  but...
slow introduction to Marley...
a quiet 2 weeks to unwind and get settled...

...will hopefully avoid any bad incidents in the beginning! 

(I can't imagine basically living in a crate/kennel and being taken out for 2 walks a WEEK...so glad he's getting out!)

Literally JUST had confirmation that the rescue centre has got him!!!  -  he is currently spending the night with the person who is going to transport him half the way here - they are meeting somewhere (don't know where) and changing transporters to bring him to me.    Have had a picture of him in the garden of the transporter with her dog  -  apparently no issues.  Cannot let you have pictures until he is actually here and officially handed off to me.  However he looks in MUCH better condition than I thought he would be   - but still evidently still stinks to high heaven.

Will bathe him when he arrives  (hubby wont let in in the house until he has had a bath).  Thursday he is in with the vet at 10.10am for full check up -  and at 2pm he is with our trainer (and me)  to overdose him on dog approaches  -  i.e.  he is not allowed to meet a dog until he approaches with SOME  semblance of decorum.

Been speaking to the rescue centre head honcho about him tonight on FB  -  she is really hopefull we can tame him  -  we will!   How would you think a dog would react if kept in one room all your life and let out twice a week to see the outside world  -  no wonder he is  "boisterious".

Will try and put up photos tomorrow  -  but it is likely to be a  busy night   -  God help our cat !  He is going to be royally pissed off that he connot come downstairs past the 4ft gate next to the lounge door !

Archived