Husky lovers please help!

Nmayi

Hey guys,

im not sure if this is even the right place to post this kind of question but any help is highly appreciated. I’m looking for Husky pups to buy, I would like one with big blue eyes and nice markings when older/ fully grown. My question is, out of these two pups which one will have really blue eyes? Also do you guys have any pics on how the markings/black marks might look when formed? Thank you! 

924FA4C8-B94D-417F-91AE-395394E65087.png

52D3886F-64D3-44CF-B72D-203B067F2222.jpeg

Well I don't know I'm guessing this puppies are about 3-4 weeks old and that's way to young for me to tell their eye color. They black and white marking will stay pretty much the same way they are now. They might get a little silver but that would be about it.[emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

And Welcome to the forum [emoji4]

It really annoys me when people want to buy a husky based on eye colour and markings!!

It's impossible to tell what markings will be like when fully grown, when you look at my dog as a puppy compared to now you wouldn't even think he was the same dog

The questions I hope you are asking are these: can you see at least the mother? Have both parents been hip and eye tested? Is the breeder going to keep the puppies until at least 8 weeks like they should do? Have you researched huskies properly? Do you know they can't be let off lead? Do you know how much hard work they are and they aren't just a fashion accessory with pretty eyes and fur?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Husky’s eyes can change colour between 5 and 8 weeks and later than that so you’d need to view a pup between 8-12 weeks if eye colour is your only consideration. Whilst the blue eyes can look nice, the health of a pup and the temperament are much more important issues to think about when choosing a puppy.

I think it's perfectly fine if someone wants blue or brown or green or purple eyes, etc. They may want a show dog with specific details, and really, it's their business not ours. In addition, there are too many negatives on here and too many people having pet peeves.
So let's just stay POSITIVE and HAPPY ... Sounds good to me!!🤗
Always remember, "The heart wants what it wants."[emoji171]
**WELCOME ABOARD NMAYI**
~ALL THINGS ARE PAWSIBLE~
2409adc67dd0545a4b5f38a01615a607.jpg

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

you can not tell if a pups eyes will stay blue, as its a genetic and age thing, also colour  of fur can change as well a person i know brought a black pup when he saw it at 4 weeks now a few months old its grey

also before you buy a pup are you sure you have the time for one let alone a husky, have you researched  the breed, do you understand you will never be able to let the dog of  the lead, that you will need a 6 foot fence at least in the garden.

Taking on a husky is not an easy job for a dedicated home, its not a breed i would let a first time owner

you can not tell if a pups eyes will stay blue, as its a genetic and age thing, also colour  of fur can change as well a person i know brought a black pup when he saw it at 4 weeks now a few months old its grey

also before you buy a pup are you sure you have the time for one let alone a husky, have you researched  the breed, do you understand you will never be able to let the dog of  the lead, that you will need a 6 foot fence at least in the garden.

Taking on a husky is not an easy job for a dedicated home, its not a breed i would let a first time owner

I agree with this 100%. A website doesn't give a husky justice because owning one is nothing like what you read. It's a very rewarding time consuming breed that's fluffy hair and Beautiful powerful eyes makes everyone fall in love with them. I found a website for you to read and look over husky information. I personally never pick a husky for eye color or fur color but I am friends with lots of people that do. Here is the website might have a few more if I can find them. Just think before acting make sure your getting a husky for the right reason not just because they are cute. That cuteness wears out in about two weeks. [emoji4][emoji177][emoji177]

http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/siberian-husky#/slide/1

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/siberian-husky/

Just to add, research is absolutely key to having a husky, as already mentioned, and commitment to caring for this breed, a lack of both is the reason they end up in rescues.

Yeah if my post in anyway made anyone think they dont need to research I didn't mean for it to. It's just different then owning one. It's about 5 times different then owning one so I'm sorry if anyone thought that. [emoji4]

The eyes of a husky puppy can change at 14 weeks of age. The breeder of these pups in question is the person you need to be asking. The breeder will know what their puppies have done in the past. So they will be able to better predict what kind of changes may or may not happen with these two particular pups. Their coats have a tendency to change as well and yes that includes their markings as well as their masks. There is no guarantee on anything when you get a husky. Bright blue eyes can turn to ice blue ( almost white ) even at age 2. 

I just did a search on gumtree and found 9 huskys within 15 miles of my home, 1 was sold 3 months ago at 6 moths of age, and is now for sale again at 9 months. the others vary from 6 months to a year old all with the same tired reason

i need to home my husky as i do not have the time to look after it or i am moving and new home will not allow dogs. the addverts should read I wanted a cute husky after watching game of thrones or some other movie didnt do research and have a dog that is driving me nuts as i am not able or willing to give it the home it deserves

I am not saying you will be a bad owner but I feel it is important to point out just how much time, effort and cost (time and money) you will have to devote to yoru new husky, even to the simple fact even when you are sick with flu feel like you are dieing, you will have to get up and take  your husky for a walk and exercise not just the body but  thier mind a bored husky becomes a bad husky.

you will also have to be ready for coming home to find the house trashed couches ripped to shreds holes in carpets doors ripped off kitchen cupboards floor boards and doors chewed. huskys can demolish a house ina  short time. one of our members went out side for a few mins and came in to find an arm gone from a chair. if after all the bad thinsg you still want to get a husky maybe you will be a husky owner, if i have put you off the idea of getting one i have stopped another husky ending up on some sale site like gumtree or craigslist or being dumped in a pound as most pounds are not trained or equiped to look after huskys and a lot of shelter dogs are put to sleep as they see them as un rehomable as they do not understand the needs of such a time comsuming breed

I think it's perfectly fine if someone wants blue or brown or green or purple eyes, etc. They may want a show dog with specific details, and really, it's their business not ours. In addition, there are too many negatives on here and too many people having pet peeves.
So let's just stay POSITIVE and HAPPY ... Sounds good to me!![emoji847]
Always remember, "The heart wants what it wants."[emoji171]
**WELCOME ABOARD NMAYI**
~ALL THINGS ARE PAWSIBLE~
2409adc67dd0545a4b5f38a01615a607.jpg&key=ae2107fae4f07328ef8395bdb1d53ad906f0a29d403e98b65bc1621157dffbb4

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

For a show dog it doesn't matter what colour eyes they have or markings? I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic and trying to stop yet another person buying a husky for the wrong reason and them ending up being passed from home to home

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Amy was owner surrendered at 9 months old, probably after she had grown out of the cute puppy and into a big handful!!! I’m convinced this has caused her separation anxiety which I am working on but still cant leave her alone in the house for more than 10 minutes, she doesnt destroy things just spins in circles, howls and gets very worked up and upset ( I’ve videoed her and its awful to see)

2 hours ago, Jo said:

Amy was owner surrendered at 9 months old, probably after she had grown out of the cute puppy and into a big handful!!! I’m convinced this has caused her separation anxiety which I am working on but still cant leave her alone in the house for more than 10 minutes, she doesnt destroy things just spins in circles, howls and gets very worked up and upset ( I’ve videoed her and its awful to see)

Aw Jo, I feel for the both of you :( Luna, who we got at 6 years old, howled, panted, soiled indoors and would be up at the window if we went out without her. We've had her 3 months now and perhaps as an older dog she is very much better, we did all the usual of leaving the radio on, going in and out several times without actually leaving and then crept out the back door quietly without alerting her. I think the dog flap has helped a lot too, she spends a lot of time outside now which seems to make her happy. I'm sure you'll get her calmed because you want to, as a rehomer of a dog past the cute stage you obviously care about the dog which is more than seems to be the case of the previous owners. 

My daughter has a Merle Collie with blue eyes, he's pretty high maintenance and quite excitable, very complex dog. I find him difficult to gauge because I can't read his eyes at all. He could be about to rip my throat out or just giving me a look of love, I've no idea. Luna's brother is completely different to her, he has the very dark to black coat with big blue eyes.

We are a very passionate bunch of husky owning crazy [emoji12] dog owners who love there animals more than most people.

Nmayi: my advice would be like most of the above. Read as much as possible about the breed. Their well behaved and cute as puppies but this does change and they become hard work.

I didn’t release how much until I got mine. He has taken over my life (for the better) he cost a huge amount of money to keep and look after (but worth it) and he is only listens which he wants too.

Have you considered getting a rescue instead. This way at least your know what it will look like when older. This would mean diving in the deep end.

What ever you decide, the members of the club will help with any problems or issues you may come up against. Just remember most people on here have owned the breed for a long time and know what they’re talking about.

Just ignore everything it say as I am still a newbie [emoji3]

I got Marley as an extremely cute gorgeous pale grey and white 12 week old pup (that's him now in my avatar) -  but that is not why I got him  -  I became his 4th owner!   He is now 2 years old  -  extremely high maintenance (and not just his long coat), and has so far eaten his way through a sofa and a chair.    Most of the rest of the house is husky proof as I have an older Utonagan  (husky/Malamute) - who did over £3,500 of damage by age 3  (he is now 12).

I had a fairly good idea of what I was letting myself in for because of Lunar  -  but Marley is like Lunar on steroids.    You will never tire him out once he gains adulthood  -  and one other thing,   a bored husky is something to fear,  if you do not keep them amused they will amuse themselves........................................... and its usually very expensive (as I know only too well).

If you want a dog to be happy at home alone for hours at a time, - get a Lab,  if you work and he is alone - you will come home to a wrecked house and looking for a new home for him inside 12 months.

Having said all that  -  if you are prepared to put  in the time at home and at least 3 walks a day - preferably of 3/4 of an hour or more each one once he has grown up,  never being able to let him off lead unless in a really secure dog park, spending time keeping him occupied and amused when not walking him,  you will end up with the best companion you could ever wish for.

Coming from a person who's main job is to rescue and train huskies for a living. The main reasons huskies are put in shelters is simply because people don't know how to take care of it. They also don't have enough time. They put the dog on a line and just let it do whatever. I've researched everything about huskies every year and talk to lots of people about this breed. I also find them homes and get them trained within reason before sending them off. Usually around about 7-12months or older is when a husky is put in a shelter because they become a handful need much more work and sometimes you have to retrain them things because they get really hard headed and stubborn. It's reality it's not all butterflies they are cute and sometimes cuddle but they require lots of work to get them where you want them to be it's not going to matter their eye color or coat color when you do that. It's just the way it is. You can't take the husky out of a husky. They escape, they chew the heck out of things, and they also are very energetic and friendly but they take lots of time. Lots of effort and they are not just for anyone. If you can handle the work great if you can't don't get one just that. [emoji4]

On 12/9/2017 at 7:27 AM, Rachael_Astro said:

It really annoys me when people want to buy a husky based on eye colour and markings!!

I admit to having a preference when it comes to coat and eye colours. I don't know how much of that influenced my decision to adopt my 7-year-old husky, who happened to have all most of my desired features, from the shelter, but I'd still love her to bits if her colours change overnight. :)

I concur with others, OP: consider a rescue if appearance is very important to you!

I may have said this elsewhere on the forum but other than a couple dogs that got gifted to me every time i have gotten a dog its been the dogs choice, I always ask the dogs if they want to come home with me. I do not care what a dog looks like or anything its if the dog wants to be with me, after all taking a dog that doesnt like you is not going to make for a good relationship and yes dogs can dislike people even hate  some. I personaly trust my dogs judgement on strangers more than my own I find  dog can spot a bad person on first sniff let alone sight.

11 minutes ago, PaulG said:

I may have said this elsewhere on the forum but other than a couple dogs that got gifted to me every time i have gotten a dog its been the dogs choice, I always ask the dogs if they want to come home with me. I do not care what a dog looks like or anything its if the dog wants to be with me, after all taking a dog that doesnt like you is not going to make for a good relationship and yes dogs can dislike people even hate  some. I personaly trust my dogs judgement on strangers more than my own I find  dog can spot a bad person on first sniff let alone sight.

I'll believe what you say. Our dog gave us doggy kisses the first time she met us! :) 

It’s true my girl chose me. Just make sure you feel a bond once the 2 of you have met. My girl’s coat is a cross between red and brown. I won’t know what it’s going to be until she’s fully grown. She’s maintaining her blue eyes. From 2 months when I picked her up and five months now I can tell you her features are very strong she has a very strong face not sure that this will help but good luck.

Same "if my dog doesn't like you chances are I won't" kind of thing. I use my dogs to gage people even tho huskies are super sweet they won't go to just anyone I've seen it. All of mine picked me Winter when she was little ran over to me she was about three weeks old at the time. I wanted her anyway but that made it all the more special. [emoji4]

Archived