Ice has Pancreatitis

Emma

On Sunday Ice started vomiting and had diarrhoea. It was pretty scary as he had total bowel incontinence, poop and blood was constantly dripping from his rear end. Off to the vets he went and they diagnosed him with pancreatitis and gave him four shots! Anti sickness, Zantac, steroids, and anti biotics. The sickness stopped and bowel incontinence too but he was still fairly unwell the next day and refusing food. They said we could pop down in a couple of days if need be and pick up some oral meds for him but due to not eating we asked if he could have them via the injections again so that he was getting the full impact to help him recover. Later on that day he started eating tiny amounts and today he has been ravenous, so we're feeding him little and often some plain yoghurt and chappie in the tins (he won't touch the chicken and rice I made for him, turned his nose up at it, lol). He's not pooping very often now but when he does go it's still pretty radioactive but no more blood thankfully. We've picked up the oral meds to go to continue with if need be when the injections wear off but touch wood he's much more his usual self today just quite tired. But not too tired to eye me up if I'm going into the kitchen and not too tired to stand by the fridge and tell me he's hungry. [emoji849][emoji38][emoji85]
The vets were very good with him. As we were lifting him in and out of the car (he could walk but didn't want to go to the vets). She came outside to us and did his shots in the car to cause him less distress. They were filming for CBeebies in there yesterday too so he's missed out on a starring role there. He was a very good boy for the vets too. No objections to being prodded and poked around which I wouldn't have blamed he for if he had tbh.
We've been sleeping on the sofa all week to be with him and let him in and out as needed. It's been a very stressful week but fingers crossed this upward trend continues and he's completely better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you. [emoji3]

It's still early in the day but around half ago, he asked to come in from the garden and walked off to his food bowl and ate a small amount of chappie and some plain chicken. He's wandered off to go see my son now which is a good sign. Normally he'd eat, drink and then come lay down in the living room on a makeshift Matt I've laid down for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you. He's much brighter now. Back to trying to be sneaky, lol. The bottom end is still s disaster but given he's always been super sensitive like that then I would have been more surprised if it wasn't, lol.

Glad to see he's doing better, quite a few dogs here have been diagnosed with Pancreatitis too ;-)
I've been told by the one person thats Husky was diagnosed with it that they have to get very little to no fat in their diet while on the mend. Plain Yoghurt was one of the things that the vet highly recommended, as well as the chicken or turkey/duck meat with rice.

Sent from my SM-T815 using Husky Owners mobile app

Thanks Cindy. Thing is I can't work out how he got it. The main culprit is usually lots of table scraps and he doesn't get much at all. He does however pick things up occasionally on walks if I don't spot it first so maybe that's it. Either way he's doing much better now. Still a bit of an issue the other end but not too bad now.

Glad to hear its going better!
That's why I'm so glad I taught mine 'leave it' early on, its so great standing metres away from them at the dog park and yelling 'leave it' and they'll ignore anything on the ground while the other owners have to chase after their dogs to get whatever they picked up! I guess I'm just lucky that they both choose to obey that command regularly...[emoji23]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Husky Owners mobile app

Lol. Yeah Ice knows it and if it's something he's not that interested in then he'll comply but if it's something super tasty then saying leave it just makes him eat it even faster [emoji85]

Pretty much back to normal now thanks. There is still a very small amount of blood in his stool from time to time so the inflammation in his colon is still there slightly but that should continue to subside over time as it continues to calm back down.

Archived