Thinking of getting your 1st husky? Read this!

hi i am wanting some advice on whether you think a sibe would be a good addition to our family. after reading hours of advice and information about them i think this breed would be great for us. my husband and i have 3 children aged 15, 14 and 8. we are very active my youngest does football, rugby, kickboxing at least 4 nights a week so i spend a lot of time stood in the middle of fields. we walk everywhere the school walk is a 50 min round trip alone. i work 4 hour twice a week so i am at home a lot of the time. any advice is welcome!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thats exactly how I approached it! Im really NOT a kiddy person I dont feel maternal towards them AT ALL! BUT I have all the maternal instinct in the world for my husky baby! And if I do say so myself I think I'm a firm but fair and loving husky mum!

I had never owned a dog before but was reasonabley experienced around them being a dog walker, but your right their totally different to your average Lab or collie! And one of the worst things is people who dont have or know a sibe just DONT get it! They look at me like I'm nuts when I say "sorry I cant come down the pub I've got to take care of Nukka" coz she is like having a toddler and I love her like one! :D

Wow-there are other people in the world like us! We aren't the child-rearing type, but love our animals!! We have cats we rescued, but 2 were dumped, 1 with kittens which we raised(they can cause about as much destruction as this post says about Sibes!)and our Red Heeler and Husky pup-we love our little Husky and it was known to be a lifetime commitment. We've moved to 3 different states in the last 5 years, been through hurricane Ike, we hadn't even the thought of leaving any behind-I just don't 'get' the people who do! They are not just things to be cast away, nor are they disposable. Good post!

post-3533-13585962658454_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm brand new to this site, as I was looking up primers for owning your first Husky. I'm 24, currently employed, and planning on getting a husky. I've adored the breed since I was a child, and have had experience with one earlier in life (it was my neighbor's dog and I walked him often). I've never had the pleasure of owning a dog as my mother is violently allergic, yet have had the misfortune of loving them dearly. My friends remark that I have "dog fever", akin to "baby fever". I've done significant research on the breed, and I will soon be very set lifestyle-wise as I will be attending law school either this fall or the next.

As further experience, I've volunteered in several animal shelters, and have experience caring for sick and ill treated animals. I've lived with my old roommate's dog, and have seen firsthand the results of not training, excercising, and entertaining your dog appropriately. The girl, bless her, was a mess, and destroyed many shoes, several pieces of furniture, and an entire set of wooden cupholders. She's a beautiful girl and utter headcase, but I often felt that I cared for her and trained her more than my roommate did. Ideally, I would like to have a 9 month old to 1.5 year old, so I can still enjoy the younger years with him, while not having entire puppy experience.

I'm very active and love to run and get excercise, and I often find myself at my local dog park playing with other people's dogs. Creepy as it may sound, I'm a dog lover through and through, and would gladly change my excercise patters (and my lifestyle!) to involve my husky.

My concerns are twofold: First, I live in Southern California, and likely will stay there for the duration of law school. The weather is often warm, and I know from consulting with many SoCal husky owners that constant grooming is a must, and keeping them out of high temperatures is very important as their coat is not ideally suited to this climate. I would excercise early when the weather is most cool, and later after the warmth of the day has died down, ideally with a walk in midday. My current work schedule is relatively condusive to seeing my dog at lunch, and I expect no issues in that regard. At law school, my schedule will become more, if not much more, flexible for the dog.

Secondly, I live in, and will likely continue to live in, an apartment. I cannot afford other options, unfortunately. I would ensure that I live near a park for plenty of open space (I do currently) and would excercise the husky as often as possible. I'm very aware that this is an active breed and confinement in an apartment isn't neccessarily ideal. I've read suggestions of crate training, however I'm unsure if that's the best alternative.

If any of you could provide some feedback on my situation, and what my prospects are for owning a husky. I would not DARE adopt a dog and put it into a situation that would not work, and then have to give it up. I refuse to punish a dog because of my incompetence and poor preparation. These animals deserve so much more. Lastly, I would like to express that it's been my desire my entire life to have a husky, and I would spare nothing caring for this thing I've always wanted. It is an extremely large responsibility I'm taking on, and I have zero qualms about the necessary sacrifices and commitments a husky entails. In essence, I'd simply like your advice on my decision and lifesttyle, and suggestions about caring for it in my situation. I really appreciate any help you guys could provide.

PS- I've not seen a dog on any of your banners that I wouldn't steal love to have for my own :)

If any of you could provide some feedback on my situation, and what my prospects are for owning a husky. I would not DARE adopt a dog and put it into a situation that would not work, and then have to give it up. I refuse to punish a dog because of my incompetence and poor preparation. These animals deserve so much more. Lastly, I would like to express that it's been my desire my entire life to have a husky, and I would spare nothing caring for this thing I've always wanted. It is an extremely large responsibility I'm taking on, and I have zero qualms about the necessary sacrifices and commitments a husky entails. In essence, I'd simply like your advice on my decision and lifesttyle, and suggestions about caring for it in my situation. I really appreciate any help you guys could provide.

PS- I've not seen a dog on any of your banners that I wouldn't steal love to have for my own :)

I think you've gone about this in the right manner. You know what you're getting into, and the commitment level that it will require. I've heard people say that you shouldn't have a dog if you live in an apartment, but I think that's rubbish. Just because you have a large yard does not mean that the dog will exercise itself. An owner who is committed to exercising their dog can do so whether they live in an apartment or a house. It sounds to me like you're ready.

I will add one caveat, however, and that has to do with studying for law school. You are going to have to study very long hours in addition to your class time, and a husky who wants to play or exercise will not wait. My pup is almost 5 months old now, and I usually have to plan on spending a couple hours each evening focused on him. Once he gets enough playing done, he settles down and is content to just hang out with me, but until then, he can be demanding of my time. You'll want to make sure that you can handle that while juggling your studies. Also, if you haven't done so already, find out what the first few years after law school are like. You wouldn't want to end up working 12-14 hours a day with a dog trapped at home. Just something to think about.

Good luck with your decision!

Adding on to rwprice's post...

Huskies also shed A LOT throughout the year. Especially during shedding times (fall and spring) you'll have to develop a close bond with your vacuum cleaner. Expect to vacuum every day during shedding times, while still getting dog fur on your clothes, in your food, and in rooms where the dog does not go in.

If you're ready for the shedding commitment, then I think you're ready! I think you mentioned this already, but are you considering adopting? There are plenty of young Sibes in rescues/humane societies and, that way, you know exactly what kind of dog you're getting ahead of time as their personality and traits are pretty much set. From what I've seen, a 2-4 year old Sibe is just as active and playful as a younger Sibe...but every dog is different.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that no matter how much research you have done and how experienced you are with other breeds, Husky ownership will still hit you like a ton of bricks. I have had dogs all my life and did loads of research before getting my first Sibe, but nothing actually prepares you for the reality and in particular the way that Sibes will take over your life.

We always say to people thinking of getting their first sibe, don't think of it as getting a dog, think of it as if you were making the decision to have your first child. It will change your life that much!

Mick

don't think of it as getting a dog, think of it as if you were making the decision to have your first child. It will change your life that much!

that is exactly how i am feeling about Morri, I have six children, only 3 left at home, and so I have found that getting Morri has been very easy as all the training for her is so much like raising a child it has just become second nature to me. She is my first sibe, and i have a 9 yr old springer as well, but Morri is just my baby :)

• 1 month later...

Great post!

I was an inexperienced dog owner and Marley is my very first dog (but my partner, Skitty, has had other dogs). I did a little research before but Marley kind of found us, we always dreamed of having a sibe but never actually looked. From our experience I have found that having never had a dog, I have got nothing to compare it to so a lot of the difficulties we have faced has been more frustrating for my partner as he knows that is not what having a "normal" dog is like! Ignorance is bliss for me! I can accept it easier.

We do both work all day and we have no other sibes (we would love a second but our landlord won't allow a second) but Marley shows no signs of undesirable behaviours but I guess we are just lucky. He seems to be used to the routine, he knows after his morning walk that it is time to go in his run and he walks straight in there as soon as he is back and he is given a treat. As soon as I am home, he knows it is walk time and then weather permitting he relaxes in the garden for some of the evening. He will let us know when he wants to play and we play ball, tug of war or he plays with his treat ball. Some evenings he wants to be in with us, we leave that for him to decide! I'm sure he would rather be with us all day everyday but that is not possible! Marley had 3 homes before we got him at 12 months and we are NEVER giving up on him. One day we will have a second sibe but it isn't possible at the moment. Marley seems a very happy and content dog, he shows no signs of distress and our neighbours have never reported any howling although he does get excited when horses go near!

Hi there, I have been thinking about getting a husky for over a year now and have done a lot of research into the dogs needs, medical history, traits and all of the care that is required, even knowing all this I am still desperate to own one but do have my reservations. The husky would be my first dog and have heard they are not for first time owners, this is why I've spent so long looking into it as I want to make sure 'I' am right for the dog. I have a lot of free time and love available and would dedicate myself to the dog fully but am concerned about where to keep it, ideally I would like to keep it inside but due to current living conditions haven't got the greatest amount of space as yet but I do have a good size backyard. I have been trying to find info on best living conditions but keep getting mixed replies. The husky would be with me whenever I am home from work/college but when I'm out is the problem. As a puppy I would initiate crate training but would feel this is unfair once it would start to get bigger, I have been looking in to kennel runs. Is it cruel to leave it unattended there for 4-5hrs at a time? I know they are pack animals and should be with their 'pack' as often as possible. The last thing I would want is for the husky to develop anxiety issues or just get bored and destructive. it would break my heart if I got one and felt I could not give this beautiful breed the love and right care they not just need but deserve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad people are still finding this thread a good basis for researching having a husky, but if anyone finds something not covered or they want more info, post up in the main section of the forum & we'll all answer as honestly & as best we can :D

An excellent article with just enough humour to make it a really good read.

I've almost always had a dog or two or three - and it was when I finding one to fill my companions position ( 13 yr old Spaniel who had crossed the bridge ) that I saw Misty at the shelter. Other than one Samoyed as a kid, I've never been around anything resembling a Husky, to speak of, before and you got it right, learning to live with her has been a challenge!! In general an enjoyable challenge (no car seats eaten, no couches torn to shreds) but sometimes aggravating (( Okay, where are you, NOW!? ))

Labs also come in silver.

Reading old threads is interesting, now that is something ( another something ) I didn't know!

And from another comment, I've lived with a black lab who was great, laid back and handed my weird work schedule well; chocolate labs are ... well, I'm not fond of chocolate labs.

Reading old threads is interesting, now that is something ( another something ) I didn't know!

And from another comment, I've lived with a black lab who was great, laid back and handed my weird work schedule well; chocolate labs are ... well, I'm not fond of chocolate labs.

I only know this because I saw a silver one at my vets. gorgeous dog.

I agree with most of your postings. Some very good points made. I don't believe everything I hear when people talk about the "ups" and "downs" or "categorizing" of breeds tho. Honestly it's all about how you raise and train your dog. My first dog on my own apart from my parents was/is my husky. I did a little research here and there when I got her as a gift and spoke with a local vet about obedience of the breed. They highly recommended obedience training. I didn't ever take her. I prepared her for everything when she was a pup. I have 5 cats that she loves. She was raised around babies so I did the playing with her food while she eats when she was a pup and she is an awesome "mommy" when it comes to my baby niece or my 6 yr old daughter. She doesn't leave their sides when they are at my home. She was crate trained as a pup and that only took 2 wks and she was completely potty trained. No accidents. Also, she has never been on a leash. Or in an outdoor kennel. She heals when you say. She gets a "stalking" look on her face when she sees wildlife and I say no and she forgets the wildlife is even there. She would rather play with mommy than run after a creature. And when I am not home. She is left alone to roam the house with my cats. They love each other and she has never destroyed anything. So like I said. Its all in how you raise your pup. Training/discipline when they are young is the key. The sad part is the medical problems you can't avoid. My babygirl will be 7 in October and she has already developed slight arthritis in her hips. So she is now on daily doses of glucosamine for the rest of her life and has to have eye exams every couple months as she has developed a cataract in her right eye :( but I wouldn't change a thing about her. She is the sweetest, most gentle baby I have ever endured. And with the hair no matter where I go...........she is always with me ;)

My other half thinks i'm nuts when I say i'd rather stay home to spend time with my girls than go to the pub on a Friday night LOL

But the truth is.... I love my dogs!!! And even though sometimes I wanna kill em, they are my babies, and I get no end of amusement from them. Sibes are AWESOME dogs!!

I had a Dalmation before my Sibes, and in some ways she was harder work than these 2 are. Maybe it's because she was my first dog and i was learning, or maybe it was because I'd done a LOT of homework before getting the huskies, and had prepared myself for the worst.

I find it's easier to try and understand them, and work WITH them, rather than fight them into submission. That usually just makes them more stubborn. Even if i'm knackered and grumpy after working a 12 hour day, I try and make myself as lively and bouncy as they are when we play, or go for a walk. They get more out of it and relax for the rest of the evening, and it chills me out nicely when I most need it!

:doglick:

• 3 weeks later...

wow what a lovely informative post, there are some things i did not know about, although i have got books on luna i didnt know some facts.. one being a worrying one to me now, this was about the huskys prey instincts, and that they are not really compatable with cats, well we have one and she is 17 ys old now, luna has sort of sniffed her before and i presumed this was luna being nosy, now i will always keep a eye on luna when she see's our cat.. and oh another concern is they say a husky shouldnt really be left alone with small dogs, well we also have a jack russell, he is 4 yrs now, but they are buddies, and love play fighting, we always put both in the hall to stay while we are out, now im wondering whether that is really a good idea or not?? gee's i thought i was doing so well on reading up etc but now im not sure what to do.. any ideas??

• 3 weeks later...

i havent yet bought a dog ive had rottys in the past and no experience with tis breed ive been researching mals and sibes for over 2 months now and im still waying up the facts my situation is im a married mum of 3 i run my own business and have to ork 2 days a week 10-4, 10-5 the second day my mum goes in to clean for me for a couple of hours so that would break up the day, were an active family live north wales off the coast live in a large converted chapel enclosed back garden/ yard with 6ft fence no other pets my kids are 1x age 9 and 2x age 4 1/2, we have a beach 5 min drive footpaths and country walks right by the house and access to a large private field, we dont go on many hols just 1 every 2 years but are thinking of ditching that for camp/hiking, so do i or dont i? my reason for asking is all the forums ive read are about all the negatives of theese breeds? i dont want to rush anything and believe my decision is to aquire a new family member till death us do part, so have you to be a permanant house wife to look after these dogs? ive even already found a local puppy training school and grooming parlour for moulting season ive read about an outdoor enclosure as well and priced up one of them lol i think i just need someone to say its not as bad as is made out! even thought of re homing a rescue it was a cross mal sibe but felt you cant be sure what your getting especially with the kids lease help and give me some advice thankyou a nervous chantelle xx :)

i havent yet bought a dog ive had rottys in the past and no experience with tis breed ive been researching mals and sibes for over 2 months now and im still waying up the facts my situation is im a married mum of 3 i run my own business and have to ork 2 days a week 10-4, 10-5 the second day my mum goes in to clean for me for a couple of hours so that would break up the day, were an active family live north wales off the coast live in a large converted chapel enclosed back garden/ yard with 6ft fence no other pets my kids are 1x age 9 and 2x age 4 1/2, we have a beach 5 min drive footpaths and country walks right by the house and access to a large private field, we dont go on many hols just 1 every 2 years but are thinking of ditching that for camp/hiking, so do i or dont i? my reason for asking is all the forums ive read are about all the negatives of theese breeds? i dont want to rush anything and believe my decision is to aquire a new family member till death us do part, so have you to be a permanant house wife to look after these dogs? ive even already found a local puppy training school and grooming parlour for moulting season ive read about an outdoor enclosure as well and priced up one of them lol i think i just need someone to say its not as bad as is made out! even thought of re homing a rescue it was a cross mal sibe but felt you cant be sure what your getting especially with the kids lease help and give me some advice thankyou a nervous chantelle xx :)

:wave1:

Hi chantelle..

firstly i have a jack russell and a sib, luna is now 8mths and i can say the pros to me out weigh the cons, to be honest i didnt do alot of reading about huskys before choosing one, i knew abt them ignoring you, not lettin them off lead, running far if they got off, its only now i read bits here and there on the web etc that i think "oh right".. luna i would say is quite a good one from what i have read about others.. i am married also, have 2 children ages 7 and 13, a cat who is 17 yrs old, we have a small 3 bed house, a short garden, but we walk her 2 times at least a day and then the evening 3rd walk is to the local park with woodland, when we first got her we took her into the tennis courts so she could run but not run out the park lol, after about a mth a dog owner who we kept bumpin into in the park said to let her off with his labrador as she will prob stay with his dog, and she did, now we let her off in the park, she dosent always come back but she dosent go nr the exits, mot of the time we call her, huskies have a tendancy to ignore you, if they dont want to come they wont, i take treats with me to bribe her over , she plays lovely with all dogs, its good to get them socialised at a early age.. im so glad i got her, she does malt but most dogs do, as a dog owner you expect that.. i believe the way a dog behves and respondes is how its taught,, i was reading about them last night in a husky book and it says they love children, dont like being alone, will follow you from room to room, yes they can get bored and howl, but what you do is jus avoid the situations they dont like, ive always got family to dog sit if im going to be out more than 2 hours, or she will eat the house thru boredom, but other dogs will do that, huskys do it cos they want to escape and seek company.. id rather have a dog that does it for that reason than a dog that does it for fun.. you wont regret getting one, most people who have one get another..i def would if i had a bigger house.. dont always believe what you read hun..x

thank you for your advice and expierience i think i have definately made up my mind about getting one im soo excited and believe i can fully contribute a life time to this dogs needs i shall post pics as soon as howver im not planning on one for another month. its like waiting for a baby to arrive i have to have evrything in place a vet a place reserved at pupppy school, a crate a bed a clicker a whole store room of treats toys etc ha itll have its own nursary at this rate i swear im having a midlife crisis my youngest 2 are full time school now i dont know what to do with myself so as my body doesnt want the pain of another pregnancy hey presto my permanat toddler he he xxx i will love it with all my heart!! :D

erm - lol - Kimba is my first ever dog, and first ever Sibe - i'm not exactly one to post on this i suppose lol

However

I also think it depends on what you're like as a person as well smile.gif

Zeus was my first ever dog and first ever Husky too :D And despite my knowledge and research into Huskies before getting Zeus, nothing can ever fully prepare you!!....and like a few of you have said about it being like having a child....thats what i tell people who ask about him when im out walking and say theyd love one.

I love Zeus to bits though and hes generally a really good dog and it only becomes hard if you dont put the effort in that they deserve. Funnily enough i was going to make a post about possibly getting another Husky when Zeus is over a year old so he can have a friend to play with when im out at work....but thought it could be answered just as well here.....so...

....could anyone give me any guidance (apart from obvious food and vet bills) on what a step like this would involve and if its a good idea?.....as i think theyd be happier together and would both go out for walks together anyway but am under no misconceptions that it would make it easier ;)

thank you for your advice and expierience i think i have definately made up my mind about getting one im soo excited and believe i can fully contribute a life time to this dogs needs i shall post pics as soon as howver im not planning on one for another month. its like waiting for a baby to arrive i have to have evrything in place a vet a place reserved at pupppy school, a crate a bed a clicker a whole store room of treats toys etc ha itll have its own nursary at this rate i swear im having a midlife crisis my youngest 2 are full time school now i dont know what to do with myself so as my body doesnt want the pain of another pregnancy hey presto my permanat toddler he he xxx i will love it with all my heart!! :D

Good decision and good luck, it will be the most hyper active child youve ever had but youll fall instantly in love with it as soon as he/she arrives :D