Eisa -UPDATE- The Final Hours

As many of you may know, we have three Huskies. Zoya we've had from a pup, and will be seven later this month. Rohn we've had since Christmas, and is now eight months old. And Eisa, whom we rescued a tad over four years ago.  

Eisa's age is really unknown. The shelter thought she was three when we got her, but various things have indicated she was much older at the time.  This past week, she has been favoring her right rear leg.  Late this morning, she yelped in pain trying to lie down.  Later, she needed assistance getting up, and would not put any weight on the leg.  Trying to walk she also needed assistance.  Her leg was just dragging.  Called the vet. They were booked up, but agreed to have us come in late this afternoon.

My first fear was cruciate ligament, since Zoya had torn her's late last year.  But upon checking her over and some x-Rays, the vet noticed her right rear leg was extremely swollen, x-Rays indicated no evidence of any abnormalities.  So bone cancer, which was his fear, was ruled out.  He did a lot of feeling around on her leg, trying to see if he could feel a soft tissue tumor, but he could not find one.

He called another clinic to talk with a colleague about Eisa. They offered doing an ultrasound for $1500, which he said would not show much. An MRI was another option, but we'd have to travel some four to six hours to a veterinary college in another state, and the cost would be another factor.

So, at the end of the day, our vet recommended a conservative approach.  He said there was a good chance that the swelling and pain was caused by cellulitis, which is an infection in the tissue just beneath the skin.  So Eisa is on two weeks of anti-biotics and pain meds.  He wants me to contact him on Monday, with a status on Eisa.  If there is no improvement in two weeks, we will look at the other options.

Right now, Eisa is resting comfortably.  She is such a sweetheart.  Just hope things are not serious to the point of being life-threatening for her.

Edited by Mazz

Elsa has made some slight improvement. She struggles but is able to stand from a laying position. She is also able to put some weight on her leg and able to go potty. She is also able now, to go up or down a few steps. None of that was easy at all, if even possible for her, on Friday. Later today, I'm going to measure the thickness of the swelling in her right femur area. On Friday, it measured 77.5 mm. I want to see if the swelling is going down. I hope that it is. I'd like to have encouraging news for her vet when I call tomorrow.

Edited by Mazz
  • Like 2

Well, the saga continues.  Eisa has not made much improvement since Sunday.  Her leg continues to be be quite swollen, and now she's starting to turn away from food, which has me very concerned.  Today is Thursday, and she has not eaten much at all, since Tuesday morning.  She will sometimes skip one meal, but not four in a row.  I'm going to give the vet's office a call or stop by later and chat with the vet for a few minutes.  Of course, this may all be normal if she has cellulitis.  She's on a very strong antibiotic right now, so that may be curtailing her appetite.  Just not sure.  Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

I measured the thickness of Eisa's leg, just above the knee, last night.  Last Friday, a week ago, it measured 7.5 cm; Sunday 6.4 cm; Tuesday 6.4 cm; and last night, Thursday 5.7 cm.  The swelling is slowly, ever so slowly, going in the right direction.  Talked with the vet last night.  He feels we should see some improvement this coming week, if in fact it is cellulitis we are dealing with.  Otherwise, we begin some additional diagnostics. 

Edited by Mazz

The swelling above Eisa's knee has subsided. Both legs measure 5.4 cm above the knee (thickness). The only swelling remaining in her leg is about 3 cm above the tarsus down to her foot. Just below the tarsus, the circumference of the swollen leg is 19 cm.  the same measurement on the non-swollen leg is 15.3 cm. Her mobility continues to improve.  Her appetite has remained fairly steady throughout.  She will remain on pain melds and antibiotics through til next weekend.  At this point, I am very optimistic that our vet made the proper decision for treatment.

• Like 2

Took Eisa back to the vet yesterday. While the swelling had gone down, it was still very evident.  The vet felt if she was suffering from cellulitis, that the swelling would be all but gone after two weeks of antibiotics.  She is putting weight on the leg, but we remain concerned. I am going to call the University of Wisconsin Veterinary Clinic on Monday, and talk with them. Our vet recommended we take her there for an exam.  He feels there is a mass within the muscle group in her thigh.  He said it could be a fatty tumor that had hardened, or it could be a cancerous tumor.  He was unable to feel any mass during his exam on Friday,

I asked him about exploratory surgery, and he said given that we don't know what is there nor where it is at, exploratory surgery could do damage to the muscles involved.  It would be best to get a difinitive diagnosis, which could involve getting an MRI ($$$).  I may also call the clinic where Zoya had her laser surgery earlier this year, on her crutiate ligament, and talk with the vet who did her surgery.  

Right now, it's the not knowing part that is difficult to contend with. Eisa does not seem to be in pain, which is good. But I don't think we can just simply ride it out to see what happens.  Our vet said any surgery could be as simple as removing a mass that may be found, up to and including amputation. Given Eisa's age, amputation would not be an easy thing for her to deal with.  

This is the tough part of having a dog.  They can't tell you what hurts, or what's going on, and so you have to rely upon the expertise of others to wade through everything.

Dave its so difficult knowing what is best.  What's your gut telling you?  What will the MRI tell you?  Have they said if it will conclusively give you an answer? If so I would go down this route.  If not then you are no better off and I would speak to all the professionals you have been in contact with; especially the vet who treated Zoya. 

I am glad I had Noah's lump removed even though I was told it was prob only a fatty tissue lump.  It was evident on examination. I waited 2 months till he was a year then we had him neutered and the lump removed .  I wish I'd followed my instinct that it was not right and had it removed straight away.  Still hard to acknowledge it was cancer.  

My Heart goes out to you and I hope with all honesty it is nothing bad.  All I can send are hugs to you and your family. X

• 3 weeks later...

Eisa had five needle point biopsies taken from her thigh.  Four came back normal. One came back indicating spindle cells, but in such a low concentration, no determination of cancer could be made.  We plan to do five more in a few weeks, concentrated in the area where the fifth needle biopsy was taken previously.  Our vet wants to see if the spindle cell count has risen.

Unfortunately, Eisa is not getting any better.  We thought Saturday, we were going to lose her.  She is failing a little every day.  We have her on Rimadyl and pain meds to help keep her as comfortable as we can.  Our vet feels she probably has what is commonly called a soft tissue carsonoma, which is a slow growing malignant tumor. By the time swelling and lameness appear, the tumor is usually too involved in connecting tissue.  Unfortunately, about the only recourse is amputation to ensure getting it all.  Eisa simply would not do well at all with only one hind leg, given her age and overall condition.  Right now she has a real problem just walking, as she cannot put much weight on her rear right leg.  She could use some hugs.