X-Rays And Results

Sherlock was back at the vets this morning, they kept him in and X-Ray'd him :(

Sherlock has Osteomyelitis (Bone Infection) He is on 2 different types of Antibiotics and pain medication once a day for a month. These are the X-Rays the vet took today, you can see looking at the pic the back left foot - compared to his back right has a black hole where bone should be. Time will tell if the bone will regrow - for now it's a waiting game :( 

11136721_758377034277493_891936855927834

10647001_758377027610827_173376245924430

11149258_758376614277535_489250485611518

His meds

post-4-0-57487200-1428671749_thumb.jpg

I can't move the branches as they like being high up - plus he moves to the top and bottom to regulate his temperature - I am going to put some sort of platform in there though when I work out hot to - so that he can rest on it without having to grip 

To update this - he has fallen from his bamboo a few times :( And I've watched him struggle to right himself, that was really hard, and I cried.  I had to let him do it himself though.

I've now put a platform in his viv so he can sit and rest rather than having to grip all the time - hoping this will aid the bone to grow back quicker 

11149393_760857530696110_720844904490996

Update - I can't see a reduction in the swelling but the vet said it can take weeks / months :(  He is getting so stressed with being handled every day and having 3 different meds followed by syringing water into him he is now hardly eating :(

I feel awful for him, they don't like being handled and I am slowly contemplating whether this is any good quality of life for him  :cry1:

It's a really tough decision - he doesn't seem in pain - but it's SO hard to tell! :(  He is being handled every day that he hates and now is scared every time i put my hand in his viv.  He's almost 3 - they live to around 6, the meds may work and the bone may heal - if it doesn't they could amputate his leg but then his quality of life would be even worse and would still need medication and handling 

I didn't think I would be this emotional over a reptile - but I love them just as much as my 3 huskies - they're not cute fluffy and cuddly granted but they still have their own personality and feelings :(

I really feel for you Sarah, sadly though only you can make the decision for him, our pets (whatever they might be) trust us to do what is right and we love them all equally because they are our babies (I've lost count of the tears I've cried over tropical fish!), it's so hard to know what is the right thing to do, if only we had that magic wand people keep talking about.....or indeed that infamous crystal ball

Lots of love xx

Sorry to hear that :(  Yeah, you never know until you have a pet how attached you become.  I was never that big on pets, but I consider my dogs like family and have called off work when I had to take care of them.