Ebola In The Us

BIGBY

Although this is scary, there is no reason for us to be alarmed, but we should be aware.  Fortunately, Ebola is not contracted through the air, but by bodily fluids. 

The person infected went to the ER complaining of symptoms, and did not disclose that he recently traveled to Liberia, and the hospital never asked him.  They are supposed to ask if you have traveled anywhere if you have symptoms that are similar.  To me, the only cause for alarm is that the hospital failed to follow protocol, and the person never disclosed that he just came from Liberia, which is a hotspot for Ebola.  I think it is ignorant on both parties.

However with our medical equipment, vaccines and procedures I don't see this becoming an epidemic

Where I work we have a project in Nigeria.  So far no one has gone there as it is being handled by a London firm.  I hope that the plant works well and the engineering team do not have to go out there.  Its a terrible thing and my heart goes out to the people and their families who have contracted Ebola..

I think the only reason why it is so deadly in Africa right now because they don't have the healthcare facilities like we do, nor do they have the best hygiene practices, so germs are spread more easily. 

Some of the things people are saying on the internet are appalling. Some are suggesting to quarantine the entire continent, and getting our aid workers out of there, allowing billions of people to suffer/die from Ebola.  Some people suck.

This is an unfortunate result of the 'divide' that has arisen between the rich and the poor nations around the world as the poorer countries simply cannot afford to protect themselves against these virulent diseases.

Ironically, as a direct result, the richer countries have made themselves ever more susceptable to the very same diseases, (that were eradicated many years previously), we have essentially cocooned ourselves within a false sense of security.

Sadly politics also plays an important role in these situations as money, aid, etc, (that can be directed to combat said outbreaks), may well be diverted towards less humane causes, (weapons, drugs, corruption, etc).