Urgent!! Husky Had A Pup 8 Hours After Stillborn Pup....

mel101094

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been staying quiet, but this thread has gotten on my nerves.

A lot of things have been said that aren't addressing the problems that Mel has ... and she has a very real problem.

"Take her to the vet"  - physically moving a whelping bitch is NOT going to help, in fact it may exacerbate the problems with the delivery.  What happens if Mel tries to move her while she's in the process of giving birth?  It won't help her or the puppy and Mel might get bit - I don't care how good-natured the dog is, moving her at this time is going to cause more problems than it will solve.

Recriminations over things she could have done are counter productive - if we want Mel to gain anything from this thread, criticizing her for her actions is not going to help.

Mel, if you haven't already, I soundly agree with at least a phone conversation with your vet and possibly a house call if they'll come over.  3 or 4 still births out of the number of puppies she's had is too high.  I'd suggest that she's having trouble birthing them if it's taking this long - which is my reason for suggesting a vet visit.

Best of luck to you all!  Let us know how things eventually shake out, will you please.

I've been staying quiet, but this thread has gotten on my nerves.

A lot of things have been said that aren't addressing the problems that Mel has ... and she has a very real problem.

"Take her to the vet"  - physically moving a whelping bitch is NOT going to help, in fact it may exacerbate the problems with the delivery.  What happens if Mel tries to move her while she's in the process of giving birth?  It won't help her or the puppy and Mel might get bit - I don't care how good-natured the dog is, moving her at this time is going to cause more problems than it will solve.

Recriminations over things she could have done are counter productive - if we want Mel to gain anything from this thread, criticizing her for her actions is not going to help.

Mel, if you haven't already, I soundly agree with at least a phone conversation with your vet and possibly a house call if they'll come over.  3 or 4 still births out of the number of puppies she's had is too high.  I'd suggest that she's having trouble birthing them if it's taking this long - which is my reason for suggesting a vet visit.

Best of luck to you all!  Let us know how things eventually shake out, will you please.

It was only 2 stillborns. And i have been trying to contact the vets, there is no answer, im really concerned for her at the moment because my dad says he can feel another puppy on its way but that was about an hour ago. I dont want to move her to take her to the vets but that may look like the best option. 

One thing, i have been searching endlessly, is green discharge bad? Because she keeps losing the discharge without the following of a puppy, does this mean that there could be a placenta still in her? Because the last still born didnt come out in a sack. 

Also, i would like to say thank you to the people who haven't taken it out on me for breeding my dog. I know that millions of dogs end up in shelters every year, but im not just going to give the puppies to the local chavs who want a statement dog. 

I am just focusing on the well being of Moo, so after the pregnancy has finished, by all means, throw everything at me, but right now to those people who are wanting to have a go, please hold off, i'm nineteen, i dont need the stress of people insulting me when im already stressed for the health of my dog.

Thank you.

Mel, take a look at this item from Sinai Animal Hospital - the second paragraph beyond "Here come the puppies" ... is this what you're seeing??

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be of any help at all. I've found several references but they all point to the same things ... a fluid relating to the placenta < heck, I'm a guy, I don't know about this type of stuff! >

Have you tried to contact other vets who might be willing to talk with you if your normal vet's not available?  How about a veterinary emergency clinic - *I* wouldn't want to go rushing off unless I knew there was going to be a human present.  And while she's actively giving birth - even as slow as it is, I'd be very reluctant to move her.

Edited by Al Jones

If possible, I'd look for a vet that can do a homevisit. Have you tried contacting multiple vets, too? If I were you, I wouldn't want to move Moo in case it makes matters worse. 

I only have two vets near where i live, i have constantly been contacting them....

Mel, take a look at this item from Sinai Animal Hospital - the second paragraph beyond "Here come the puppies" ... is this what you're seeing??

Beyond that I'm afraid I can't be of any help at all. I've found several references but they all point to the same things ... a fluid relating to the placenta < heck, I'm a guy, I don't know about this type of stuff! >

Have you tried to contact other vets who might be willing to talk with you if your normal vet's not available?  How about a veterinary emergency clinic - *I* wouldn't want to go rushing off unless I knew there was going to be a human present.  And while she's actively giving birth - even as slow as it is, I'd be very reluctant to move her.

Thats exactly what is happening, And about the vets, yes i have, still no luck, its just not my day. 

Is your vet engaged or just going to answer machine?  Reason I ask is that at this time of night, i'd expect them to be closed but there should be an emergency vets phone number available, probably to be found on the answer phone message.  Or is it the emergency vets that are not picking up? 

do you have pet insurance? only asking cos my the company mine are with have a 24 hour helpline to chat with a vet nurse.Good luck

Pet insurance doesnt cover pregnancies because it's a choice made by the owner, even if it wasnt the owners choice and just an accident, they still dont cover :/ 

Is your vet engaged or just going to answer machine?  Reason I ask is that at this time of night, i'd expect them to be closed but there should be an emergency vets phone number available, probably to be found on the answer phone message.  Or is it the emergency vets that are not picking up? 

Just going to the machine :/ And its both thats not answering

One question my dad has just raised is "how will Moo react to a vet (stranger) around her pups?' Moo is a very instinctive dog that is already very protective of her pups.... 

If you're there and relaxed and the vet is competent, she should be fine.  If she's letting you handle them then the addition of someone you (appear to) trust, who's trying to help should be acceptable to her. Any decent vet is going to stand back and talk to you while he's watching her .. which should help her relax enough to allow him to help as needed.

If you're there and relaxed and the vet is competent, she should be fine.  If she's letting you handle them then the addition of someone you (appear to) trust, who's trying to help should be acceptable to her. Any decent vet is going to stand back and talk to you while he's watching her .. which should help her relax enough to allow him to help as needed.

Thank you, i hope so.

Just out of curiosity because i cant find it anywhere on google, does anyone know how long the actual birthing part lasts? Because she has been at it since midnight and now its getting near a full day, thats another concern.

It shouldn't be going on this long, and I would guess that is likely part of the reason for the stillborns. Normally the discharge really isn't green per say, how green is it? Could be that you are seeing the result of an infection or partial decomposition of pup that died awhile ago.

Is there only one lump left of two? Reason is the uterus contracting can often be mistaken for another lump. 

Regardless, sounds as though there are still some issues so contacting the vet is your best option.

Best of luck!

It shouldn't be going on this long, and I would guess that is likely part of the reason for the stillborns. Normally the discharge really isn't green per say, how green is it? Could be that you are seeing the result of an infection or partial decomposition of pup that died awhile ago.

Is there only one lump left of two? Reason is the uterus contracting can often be mistaken for another lump. 

Regardless, sounds as though there are still some issues so contacting the vet is your best option.

Best of luck!

Thats what i thought too, the discharge is dark green, like almost black, but it is green, it shows up on her fur. 

As for the lumps, still two, there has been no progress, she was just contracting, but now she has stopped....

Can you try an online emergency vet? There are websites that will let you live chat with a veterinarian. 

That would be no use really, yeah they could tell me whats wrong but a vet present would be the best, if they answered.....