Urgent!! Husky Had A Pup 8 Hours After Stillborn Pup....

mel101094

I'm really glad that everything came out all right - sad of course that they didn't all live but she'd have been hard put to nurse that many ( there's only so many taps on the truck, eh? :) )

Pictures please when they get a little bigger would be nice.

Thank you. Yeah she only has eight teats so it would have been a bit of a juggle. I will keep you all updated with cute pictures :) 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad that's she's okay, hope the pups will turn out alright.

I think owners can actually help with the birthing process, including pulling the pups out, but do your research obviously.

I already knew that, my dad helped her with the little boy that was breech.

I already knew that, my dad helped her with the little boy that was breech.

Oh, sorry. I don't have any experience with this stuff at all, i don't think you did anything wrong, i'm very sorry that there were problems. Glad it's all over, wish the mother and pups all the best!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Oh, sorry. I don't have any experience with this stuff at all, i don't think you did anything wrong, i'm very sorry that there were problems. Glad it's all over, wish the mother and pups all the best!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Its okay :) Thank you 

Glad everything went okay. :)

If you need help with names, just ask!

Also...just making sure...are you aware of what to do next?

From the AKC website:

To track nourishment of the puppies, it is advisable to identify and weigh puppies during the first 
2 weeks. 

Temperature.

A newborn puppy cannot control its body temperature and must be kept in a 

warm environment. Chilling will stress the puppy and predispose it to infectious disease; 
overheating can kill it. The environmental temperature can be controlled with a well-insulated 
electric heating pad or a heat lamp. But make sure the puppies have a cooler place to crawl to if 
they become too warm. 

The immediate environmental temperature should be kept between 85 and 90 degrees for the 
first five days of life. From the seventh to the tenth day, the temperature can be gradually 
reduced to 80 degrees; by the end of the fourth week it can be brought down to 75 degrees. 

Nursing.

The first milk produced by the bitch after whelping is called colostrum. Every puppy 
needs to ingest colostrum as early as possible after birth and certainly during the first 24 hours 
of life. Colostrum contains a number of substances that are beneficial to the puppy, including 
immunoglobulins that protect newborns from the infectious diseases to which the mother is 
immune. 

For your nursing bitches, one thing to keep a look out for is canine mastitis. It is not that 
common, but you should be aware of it. Canine mastitis is a breast infection in bitches, usually 
occurring a few weeks after whelping. Normally, the breasts of a lactating bitch are warm and 
enlarged. If the breasts seem to be red, dark, hot, or painful when touched, then you should 
contact your vet immediately. Advanced canine mastitis presents itself as a hard, hot and almost 
black breast segment, which is extremely painful for the bitch when touched. Canine mastitis 
can be caused by weaning puppies too early, severe scratches from puppies’ claws, or some 
other infection. A bitch with canine mastitis may be running a fever, be listless, and may not eat. 
She also may not allow her puppies to nurse, and if she does, she will be "snappy" when they 
touch the affected area. 

Caring for your bitch after whelping 

Some bitches eat very little for the first day or two after whelping. Then their appetite and need 
for all nutrients rises sharply and peaks in about three weeks. During this entire period, 
adequate calcium, phosphorous, and vitamin D must be fed to avoid the onset of eclampsia. 
Optimal amounts of these nutrients are already present in a high-quality diet so further 
supplementation is unnecessary. Eclampsia causes nervousness, whimpering, unsteady gait, 
and spasms. Although very serious, it is readily cured by prompt veterinary treatment. 

After whelping, the bitch ideally should be about the same weight as when she was bred, but not 
more than 5 to 10 percent heavier. For three weeks after whelping, she will need two or three 
times more food than her normal maintenance diet to help her provide nourishing milk to her 
puppies. This food should be divided into three or four meals. The composition of the food 
should be the same as it was during the last third of her pregnancy; only the amount per day 
should change. 

14 - Wean Puppies from Their Mother 

There are many rules of thought about weaning your puppies. Experienced breeders tend to use 
methods that work best for them and their respective breed. It is recommended that you contact 
your veterinarian to discuss a feeding regimen for your litter. 

Most puppies begin the weaning process at about two to four weeks of age. Some breeders 
recommend starting them off by offering a pan of puppy formula in place of their mother's milk. 
Other breeders combine the puppy formula with some presoaked or grinded dry puppy food 
and/or baby rice cereal to create gruel. 

As the puppies get older, most breeders start adding more food and decrease the amount of 
formula. 

To avoid digestive upsets, be sure to introduce all changes in food or feeding schedules 
gradually. 

Additional reading: 

The First Seven Weeks: Raising Well-Adjusted Puppies 
By Wendell J. Sammet

Glad everything went okay. :)

If you need help with names, just ask!

Also...just making sure...are you aware of what to do next?

From the AKC website:

Thank you for the information, yes i already know what to do next, i was researching like mad before we decided on letting her have pups, so i was really prepared....

Hun was this a planned mating then x

Yes it was, me and my family sat down and discussed it before we all agreed that we should, we have three bitches and one dog and the girls were in heat one after the other, so it was driving Thor insane, so we thought we would let him and Moo mate. 

There are other solutions to that problem ;).

Yeah i know and thats what we are going to do now, we didnt want to take his 'friends' away then as he was only a year and a half....

I have just read through this thread and I feel a bit let down by those that were giving out negative vibes. I was always under the impression that this site was here to help those that love their huskies no matter what the circumstances. On a more positive note, well done Mel for hanging in there and standing by your girl. I have been there for 2 litters and I can tell you now, albeit a little late, that it is normally about half an hour between births. Sorry I wasn't here to help you on the night you needed it but it seems that you've coped admirably. Keep a close eye on what is happening as it is always possible for mum to accidentally lay on one. You don't need that happening now after all the anguish you've already had.  I notice that you have a birthing hut for her. I found with mine that she liked one end covered at night as she felt more secure. Just an idea!! Please keep us updated on their progress and loads of pics please.

Gary.

I have intact males would i let them mate my girl no as there are far to many needing homes. Is your girl and boy kc reg, hip and eye scored hun if not get them hip and eye scored and hereigy tests done also start writing up a contract for the pups so when they do go to there new homes if they cant cope or keep pup they can come bk to you

I have intact males would i let them mate my girl no as there are far to many needing homes. Is your girl and boy kc reg, hip and eye scored hun if not get them hip and eye scored and hereigy tests done also start writing up a contract for the pups so when they do go to there new homes if they cant cope or keep pup they can come bk to you

do think this is not the right time to say that, Christie... pups are already born, Melissa did all the research she could and she has just went through some stressful nights xxx I'm sure she knows what she's doing :)

She can still get the test done now i know if by any chance i would be getting mine as least then you can tell the new owners. She planned the litter so really the test should of been done first but wasnt so they can still be done. Unfortunately liz when you see the amount of pups in the uk already only people who breed for quaility should be breeding. I know it sounds harsh but its true. Im happy pups and mummy dog is ok but reality is there is far to many dogs in the world.

For whatever reasons Mel had to want to breed, what's done is done. Reading through the thread I would think that, possibly, Mel could not afford to have hip and eye scores done, if memory serves around £300 - £400 per dog.  As Christie has said, it's not to late, if you wish to go down that road. It's not, however, a necessity. Having said that, without hip and eye scores, you may have difficulty in selling your pups. What I would most definately say though is make sure that you draw up a foolproof contract which will safeguard the future of your pups if and when you do sell them. If you need any advice about what the contract should contain I'm sure there are some on here that can help although I would suggest getting one drawn up professionally. Not cheap, but well worth it as I found out when it came to my little girl Eclipse. My contract safeguarded her and I now have her back and she will not go anywhere ever again. Hows it going so far Mel?

Gary.

I have just read through this thread and I feel a bit let down by those that were giving out negative vibes. I was always under the impression that this site was here to help those that love their huskies no matter what the circumstances. On a more positive note, well done Mel for hanging in there and standing by your girl. I have been there for 2 litters and I can tell you now, albeit a little late, that it is normally about half an hour between births. Sorry I wasn't here to help you on the night you needed it but it seems that you've coped admirably. Keep a close eye on what is happening as it is always possible for mum to accidentally lay on one. You don't need that happening now after all the anguish you've already had.  I notice that you have a birthing hut for her. I found with mine that she liked one end covered at night as she felt more secure. Just an idea!! Please keep us updated on their progress and loads of pics please.

Gary

Thank you. I did think it was a little late (well a lot late) thats why i started this thread, for advice. I am keeping a constant eye on mum and the pups, so far she hasnt actually layed on them once, which is good. Yeah Moo likes one end as well, so i have been doing what you have said already. Moo and pups are doing very well, she has already had a litter before she came to us, so she knows what to do, she is a brilliant mummy. She was only 1 when she had her first litter, the people had bought her to mate her, sell the pups and then sell her :( But we are definitely not selling her, god i love her too much. 

My dogs are not KC reg and they havent been hip and eye scored and im going to start writing up a contract for the pups.

do think this is not the right time to say that, Christie... pups are already born, Melissa did all the research she could and she has just went through some stressful nights xxx I'm sure she knows what she's doing :)

I think i have done far to much research haha, im a bit of a nerd, i over research :/ 

For whatever reasons Mel had to want to breed, what's done is done. Reading through the thread I would think that, possibly, Mel could not afford to have hip and eye scores done, if memory serves around £300 - £400 per dog.  As Christie has said, it's not to late, if you wish to go down that road. It's not, however, a necessity. Having said that, without hip and eye scores, you may have difficulty in selling your pups. What I would most definately say though is make sure that you draw up a foolproof contract which will safeguard the future of your pups if and when you do sell them. If you need any advice about what the contract should contain I'm sure there are some on here that can help although I would suggest getting one drawn up professionally. Not cheap, but well worth it as I found out when it came to my little girl Eclipse. My contract safeguarded her and I now have her back and she will not go anywhere ever again. Hows it going so far Mel?

Gary.

We made the decision to breed to use the money for the dogs, so we could take them on mini breaks up to scotland and get them really good harnesses and so on...so not once did we think 'oh yeah, we could use that money for us', i tell you something my huskies get better treat than me, they are like my babies. Yeah im definitely getting the contract done. 

Happy all is o k :) 1 thing though: need more pics of those cute puppies. As a family you made a decision, it is not up to others to judge youfor that, you started this thread asking for help, we have never whelped any of ours so couldnt help or advise but have kept an eye on your progress, would have intervend but someone got there first and didnt want to muddy waters whilst you were in the middle of all the action.

Happy all is o k :) 1 thing though: need more pics of those cute puppies. As a family you made a decision, it is not up to others to judge youfor that, you started this thread asking for help, we have never whelped any of ours so couldnt help or advise but have kept an eye on your progress, would have intervend but someone got there first and didnt want to muddy waters whilst you were in the middle of all the action.

I will get more pics on soon :)