Urgent!! Husky Had A Pup 8 Hours After Stillborn Pup....

mel101094

Moo has given birth to four healthy pups, unfortunately she had a still born early this morning after the other four. She started to rest and she was losing the green discharge,so we thought she was done, then just now, eight hours after the still born, she gave birth to another pup, alive and healthy. Is it normal that she had a pup so long after? 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a quick look on the internet and have seen that it can sometimes take several hours between pups, however if it's starting to go over 4 hours then you should be seeking assistance from your vet.  TBH, i think it would probably be a good idea to contact them anyway.

Do you know how many puppies, if any, she has remaining? If she still has puppies, then you need to contact your vet ASAP as there is a good chance you will lose any that are remaining as well.

Ultrasounds are a wonderful tool that can tell you exactly how many puppies to expect and help you recognize when there are potential issues, such as significant time periods between births.

Do you know how many puppies, if any, she has remaining? If she still has puppies, then you need to contact your vet ASAP as there is a good chance you will lose any that are remaining as well.

Ultrasounds are a wonderful tool that can tell you exactly how many puppies to expect and help you recognize when there are potential issues, such as significant time periods between births.

We dont know how many she is having.....

I would contact a vet asap. I don't know a thing about breeding or dogs giving birth, but I wouldn't mess around with this. 

Is there a reason you haven't contacted a vet?

I didnt know that she hadnt finished, she was rested for 8 hours and then all of a sudden another puppy appeared, she didnt get any contractions, it just arrived. There are no real problems, Moo is still okay and the puppies are coming out as normal, still borns are pretty common, she has only had two still borns and there are five healthy puppies, if any major problems occur, i will ring the vet straight away 

I guess I'm confused why you asked if it is normal if you are saying that this is all normal? Like I said, I don't know anything about whelping, but from your first post you seemed really concerned. Googling seems to indicate that 8 hours between is not normal and a vet should be contacted. But obviously it's your call.

I'm honestly sorry but at the same time what were you thinking? You should've had a Vet perform an ultra-scan on her to get an indication of how many she would be having.

Take her to the VETS asap! Don't wait.

I guess I'm confused why you asked if it is normal if you are saying that this is all normal? Like I said, I don't know anything about whelping, but from your first post you seemed really concerned. Googling seems to indicate that 8 hours between is not normal and a vet should be contacted. But obviously it's your call.

No i said still borns are common, not the time gap.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Still borns are not common. Of course litters of nine are not that common either. 

Still borns associated with delayed delivery are more common;

As Stage 1 progresses, her panting will become heavier and more constant. At this time a sudden clear, stringy, odorless discharge from the vulva may be noticed. This indicates that the mucus plug that sealed the cervix throughout the pregnancy has dissolved, and it means that the first pup will probably soon be delivered.

Sometimes a bitch will move from Stage 1 to Stage 2 very quickly, and sometimes not. “If Stage 1 labor goes on for more than 12 hours without progressing to Stage 2 labor, with obvious contractions, intervention is recommended,†Dr. Margaret Root Kustritz, of the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, says. “Prolonged Stage 1 labor has been associated with increased incidence of stillbirths and neonatal death.â€

Moo has given birth to four healthy pups, unfortunately she had a still born early this morning after the other four. She started to rest and she was losing the green discharge,so we thought she was done, then just now, eight hours after the still born, she gave birth to another pup, alive and healthy. Is it normal that she had a pup so long after? 

If you are un sure on how many she was having I would suggest some point soon getting her checked over to make sure there are no remaining pups inside her that she has not given birth to, even if you think she is finished she could become seriously ill with a dead pup inside her.

find out when it is safe to move her and pop her to the vets or try and get one to come and see you

Sorry to hear she has lost some already, and I wish her the best of luck with the pups she has/is having. best of luck and keep us updated on her health and the pups