Just A Quick Update

winterchillz

Hi guys!

As some of you might have noticed, lately I haven't really been active; I just pop up every now and then to check the forums, read a few threads and probably do a post or two. Reason is currently we're in the peak of our work, this is combined with a few night shifts and also my friend and his dog are moving over at home. In overall, I'm good and so is Ares. He keeps on growing up and now pretty much everyone points out how big he is.

I mentioned that my friend and his dog are moving over and here comes my question - now Ares and Set (his 5 months old pitbull) are living together in the backyard. They already know each other but we decided to keep them on leash upon reintroducing. Set was really passive keeping his tail down and not moving at all while Ares was sniffing him. Poor fella was letting Ares do his job just wagging tail every now and then when able to. However, Ares was the troublemaker. He first sniffed him a few times but then started growling; can't really describe the growl but it was something between a rough play growl and a light aggression growl, then he pushed him with his paw and tried to bite him on the neck, but not the fast aggressive bite, but more like ... I don't know, like more aggressive play kind of bite. I have the feeling that Ares might be trying to prove his dominance but I wanted to double check with you guys.

We built a fence and Set is in that spot now and Ares would just keep on running back and forth by the fence, laying down like when he's playing, then growl at Set, wag his tail and keep on running around. I can see that he wants to play with him, but I'm afraid he'd start acting like before if I let him get really close. I know many of you have two dogs and I really rely on you guys to tell me if Ares is just being dominant with no intent of aggression or if things might get rough.

Thank you in advance, I hope I will be able to come back to spamming soon!

Miss ya! :grouphug:

D

Well, welcome back stranger! 

To me, what it sounds like, is that Ares is trying to initate play.  If Set is being very passive and not wanting to play much, that might make Ares want to play even more.  Comparing his actions reminds me of how Nikko is.  If he wants to play he will paw at Yukon's face, then bite the scruff of his neck.  Like you described, its not a vicious agression bite, but he does grab a hold of his neck and sometimes even drags him on the floor.  If Yukon doesn't want to play he will let him know with some growling, but I usually stay out of their play unless both of them gang up on Yukon, which happens daily.  (I just feel bad for him, but Yukon will keep comin' back for more). 

I think it will be fine, just keep watching them, and you will know if it goes too far!  If you sense that Set is getting stressed you can try removing the two.  Keeping them on a leash is a good idea too.  It might take a few weeks before they get things sorted, at least that is what it took when I added Kodiak to the pack.

Good luck!!

hey stranger, got any cake?  lol. 

I agree that it sounds like boisterous play, but without actually seeing it, I'd hate to give misinformation.  Both huskies and bully breeds are known to be rough players so growling, mouthing (particularly on the neck and limbs) are not unusual.   Good luck and hope to see you around soon. xx

419+%2528Large%2529.jpg

:P

Sadly, I don't have the awesome baking skills Andy does so I had to instead google the cake!

Thank you both for your advices, much appreciated! They spent the last few hours running by the fence just up and down, growling at each other playfully. I really hope they will get settled quickly, Ares is a bit of a freako :ee:

He's letting set know he's dominant , blaze will do it to skyla and she will do it bings too , if set is submitting and letting him do it I wouldn't worry so long as set doesn't get fed up with him and tell him to basically p-off , give them time n they'll be best mates , I'll post a vid of skyla dominating bings if I can find it see if it's similar

Thanks a lot, Nixy, I'd be forever grateful if you can manage to find that video! I will try to get one as well and post it up.

Edit: This looks completely like Ares and Set, the only difference is the growling that Ares does and the fact that when he puts his paw on Set, the little fella just falls to the ground because of how heavy is Ares. Jeez, I will definitely sleep better tonight, thanks a lot, Nixy, we will start getting them together slowly and see where they get.

Glad I could help , blaze is a growler too but skyla never really makes a lot of noise lol

Bings n skyla are always playing together despite the fact she pushes him around lol they get on really well so I don't think you'll have any problems at all specially as they are sorting their dominance out thru play and not getting into fights over it :-)

419+%2528Large%2529.jpg

Sadly, I don't have the awesome baking skills Andy does so I had to instead google the cake!

???  You don't seriously think Andy bakes all those cakes do you ?!!   Don't put yourself down Mr, we all google cakes, some more than others though!  lol.  Great to have you back.  x

???  You don't seriously think Andy bakes all those cakes do you ?!!   Don't put yourself down Mr, we all google cakes, some more than others though!  lol.  Great to have you back.  x

419+%2528Large%2529.jpg

Thank you both for your advices, much appreciated! They spent the last few hours running by the fence just up and down, growling at each other playfully. I really hope they will get settled quickly, Ares is a bit of a freako :ee:

LOL darnit, my secret is out. . . yup  I ggogle the cakes and then tailor the name if I have to in Photoshop.

although sometimes the amount of work to do that . . . It would be quicker to bake the cake !!!

LOL darnit, my secret is out. . . yup  I ggogle the cakes and then tailor the name if I have to in Photoshop.

although sometimes the amount of work to do that . . . It would be quicker to bake the cake !!!

And the effort is much appreciated!  I was so happy with my birthday cake, better than the real one!  thank you. xx

Nice to have you back :) Kodiak is forever mauling Kala at the moment. He really wants her to know he is the boss! It does sound quite aggressive but his tail is always wagging and he now lets her jump over his head and swing from his tail! The secret it would appear is time :) hope Ares and Set can work it out.

I'm up for you baking the cakes, Andy  :rofl:

Thanks Simon, I also think they will slowly get along. Today Set is calling Ares out to play all that long while Ares is all like "Meh" and then dozes off :lol:

And aww, Liv :D:grouphug:

PS: Yes, I know Andy does use Photoshop, it's just awesome how he always manages to find a suitable cake :up:

Edit: Wow, Jay, now THAT'S some rough play! Poor furball Yukon :wub:

Okay, so I had an afternoon nap today and my friend was out. When I got up I decided to take a look at the fenced area because I can see it from the door. But what happened?! When I checked it, Set was not inside! I looked down the stairs where Ares usually sleeps and what do I see!!

d1oh.jpg

Yes, this is them both sleeping next to each other! :o Looks like my friend forgot to close the door completely and since Set is still a baby he managed to escape and finally get close to Ares :lol:

Tried to take a photo of both of them, but Set just wont sit down for one and would instead want to cuddle and lick me :lol:

w2lh.jpg

And finally here's a video of how Ares plays with the little fella. There are no growling any more and Ares is much more careful which is great! You can see that the little guy gets fed up with Ares acting like a baby real quick :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg_PHz5MSKA&feature=youtu.be

Thanks again everyone for the advices, it was so great seeing them sleeping together to each other!!