HELP Opinions needed - Big forum change

Marc

Well, I love this forum as it is the best I have encountered yet. It is rare to find a forum that has members that talk to one another on any regular kind of basis. I like that it is a truly social community and so long as the changes dont make it harder to be social...Im all for it...lol. I like my morning chats here on husky owners...lol.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I love this forum as it is the best I have encountered yet. It is rare to find a forum that has members that talk to one another on any regular kind of basis. I like that it is a truly social community and so long as the changes dont make it harder to be social...Im all for it...lol. I like my morning chats here on husky owners...lol.

Actually I want to do the opposite and make it more social :) .. As for the things you use ... forum will be here as always, as will the shoutbox, gallery, profiles etc :)

OK, I will show my age & pc naivety now - a lot of the above is gobbledygook!! I'll get my 18yr old son to explain as he has just started a foundation degree in "this stuff" & knows how to talk Val speak!! :o

From reading between the lines, based on my understanding of the explanations of both, I can see Invision being the better of the two options .... and if I can contribute in some way about something I feel strongly about, I will. This forum has helped me immensely over the last 3 months almost housebound (!) & I want to see it continue to grow.

I will also be the first to admit I'm uncomfortable with change (must be my age, never used to bother me ;) ) but I learnt to negotiate the forum quickly & I believe you, Marc, when you describe how the new site will be different but just as easy to use, I go with your judgement & wish you luck with this change ..

One thing, though, if HO is down for 24hrs, please give me plenty of notice so I can gather topics of conversation - it'll mean having to talk to Steve :scared:

I like the sound of new software x It will be hard as it has taken me along to to figure this one out lol (just a slow learner pfffft) But i am willing to learn again :D Changes are difficult but can be done xx and i will donate for the change as well (but could i have my name in pink please lol) ill donate regardless i love the forum just wish i had more time to get on it :( just busy with getting dani in a routine for bed and college xx

To be honest if you can post on here, you will already be able to post on the new forum... As far as posting is concerned there is not much difference, it will be things like your control panels etc that you may have to find your way around. However in that respect there are better options in there.

SO THREE THINGS

I have found 3 things so far that are missing from invision that we currently have with vbulletin....

WYSIWYG editor - This basically means that when you click bold over some text, you will see the bold tags rather than actually seeing bold text until its posted.

Social Groups - They dont exist, and to be honest I can see why. There have only been 9 groups posted in the 12 month we have been around and 2 of them were test groups by me LOL ... Will def not be missed

Messages in profiles - The profiles are literally profiles so you cannot leave messages in them. This is a bad thing, however on the plus side the profiles are a lot more informational. You can see all pics, posts, threads, blogs etc etc etc that any user has done directly from their profile.

I want to point out these things as there are pros and cons to each ... I do think that invision wins over, but we need to know the differences

Messages in profiles - The profiles are literally profiles so you cannot leave messages in them.

Just my opinion, but I never understood that. We can chat in a thread, chat in the shout box, chat in the chat room, chat via private messaging...but we need to leave messages on profiles, too? I know some people love that feature; I never understood it.

A lot different to the older days aint it ....... Now they a serious competitor and the way vbull are messin things up they will overtake very quickly at this rate

ANYWAYS ...... Thankyou to Val (Zebedee) for your donation .... Again LOL .. :)

Hmmm...I think that the profile setup for Invision will be much better, and it is fine that social groups isnt included since we are just one big social group...lol. As for the text tags, hey no big deal lol, I actually prefer not to be confused by tags anyway. You should have seen me back when I first was trying to post pictures on the forum...I was basically trying every kind of tag until I got the right one Lmao.

Marc,

It seems to me you have already set your heart & mind on switching. And from the response I think everyone agrees it will be best. I have no problem with donating to help(just if you can try to keep the bolded name blue..hehe..I like blue) Though many with have withdraws from the downtime I think in the end they will be happy. Like Erika said, we can create a yahoo group for talking. Or there is also Xat chat, it is free to open one and free for members. They do have some bonuses that you have to pay for(like colored names, called glow) but it is completely free the last time I checked. And works really well. If I'm thinking right I know the type of forum you are thinking about and I've used it being a member on one. And I liked it. It was great and worked really well. I support the switch. I wanted to thank you for giving us the option to vote on this.

To donate it's the same thing as to donate for the site correct?

And I think the treat basket is a great idea! Like people who would like to buy a ticket donates and after the donate tell you. Then you make a list of the people who donated for a ticket to win the basket. Then put the names in a bag and pick one or two(the amount of baskets will have to be decided between you, Sandy, Nina & Shiloh) then the winning name(s) is given to Sandy and she'll send off the baskets...You can do the tickets for a $5 donation. If someone donates $25 and requests to put those in for a ticket then they would get 5 tickets(names be put in bag 5 times).

I also like the idea of making into a contest. Making a seperate thread saying who the winning person is(no need to tell the amount) and changing it as the winner changes. Then the winner can have a say in something to do with the new forum.

GREAT IDEAS AND RESPONSE EVERYONE!!

Like Erika said, we can create a yahoo group for talking. Or there is also Xat chat, it is free to open one and free for members.

By this are we meaning during the downtime?

And yes its same donate link :) The donate colour will remain the same as always dont worry :)

We can use it for the down time, with this forum and the old one. Anytime and for anyone...And I can post the link up here. And if the new forum doesn't have the chat room area then we can continue to use the yahoo or xat.

http://xat.com/HuskyLovers (HuskyOwners was used) I set one up for everyone to use.

Since I set it up it classifies me as the owner. But if all the Owners, Admin & Moderators could go into the chat when I or Marc are in there I can make them their correct status.

Everyone you will need to register your email. It's free to join. It just lets us member you in the chat. At the moment there is no filtering so anyone can view the chat room. But once we get all of our members on the forum we can set them all to member status and then the room can be for members only.

After you register please go into the chat. Once in the chat click on your name it will be a weird name at first and at the very top of the list on the right hand side. Click your name and you can change it. Please change it to the name you use in here, so there's no confusion on who you are.

Marc,

I can make you an owner and you can member anyone and do any type of editing. Just PM me when you can be in the chat. If you do not wish to use this just let me know and I'll cancel it.

If you do I will be in the chat room for the next 2 hours tonight. More time tomorrow

Thanks

Thankyou for your donation Cathy (Badge882) ... very much appreciated

We can use it for the down time, with this forum and the old one. Anytime and for anyone...And I can post the link up here. And if the new forum doesn't have the chat room area then we can continue to use the yahoo or xat.

http://xat.com/HuskyLovers (HuskyOwners was used) I set one up for everyone to use.

Since I set it up it classifies me as the owner. But if all the Owners, Admin & Moderators could go into the chat when I or Marc are in there I can make them their correct status.

Everyone you will need to register your email. It's free to join. It just lets us member you in the chat. At the moment there is no filtering so anyone can view the chat room. But once we get all of our members on the forum we can set them all to member status and then the room can be for members only.

After you register please go into the chat. Once in the chat click on your name it will be a weird name at first and at the very top of the list on the right hand side. Click your name and you can change it. Please change it to the name you use in here, so there's no confusion on who you are.

Marc,

I can make you an owner and you can member anyone and do any type of editing. Just PM me when you can be in the chat. If you do not wish to use this just let me know and I'll cancel it.

If you do I will be in the chat room for the next 2 hours tonight. More time tomorrow

Thanks

Thanks katrina. Was thinking of something where I could let members know the progress as Im doing it... That would be ideal and is greatly appreciated..

Will not need the chat features once we move as whichever we move to, we will have the same forum & chat features as current (minus the profile comments for invision), plus a few more.. :)

Still in comtemplation at the moment ... Have been playing with invision and not had chance to play with the new vbulletin as of yet .... Will soon see though as it looks like their main website is being updated with the new software

I trust whatever decision you make for the forum. I have to admit that I belong to a lhasa apso forum as well as HO. They also use VBulletin, but are waaay behind this forum. No comparison as to what you have done here....

I'll be making a donation soon for you to use for this, or for use in any manner you and Sarah deem is the best.

Thankyou for your donation Cheryl (Chezell) .... Again very much appreciated

Just to keep everyone updated, even though we have not yet announced that we would like donations for the new software we have already received 60 (around 97 USD).

Thankyou to all who have donated so far, this is greatly appreciated and I will ensure you get a good site out of it :)

keep the cash in your little pot, young man, we know you'll use it wisely ;)

seriously, tho', Marc, you know what is required in running the forum & what will be of benefit & asking for input is a great idea, I look forward to seeing what is in store for Husky Owners 2010!!

Cash will definately be going for the Invision software. Now I've had a play with it and seen the new version of VBulletin its the only logical choice. 2010 will be a massive year, same as this has been ;) ..

I have added the donate bar to the top of the forum so people can see where we are up to on this. Dont forget people, all donations are appreciated whether the bar is up their or not as the site currently costs 55 per month just to keep us alive LOL ...