Hello all

Robson

Hello everyone my name is Robson. My mam and I have inherited a Sibe. It was my brothers dog from a pup and is now 17 months. He has just had a baby, rather his partner has and he has a new job working away Monday to Friday. So his partner couldnt really look after the dog and the newborn. So he arrived at my house 2 weeks ago. His name is Alfie by the way. I have a few concerns and questions.

Hes a lovely dog but needs some training. We have had dogs in the past but never a sibe. However since we got him I have tryed to do as much research as possible on them.

Our first problem was his diet he was on a working dog mix, which to be honest was no good for him. His stools were never solid and i read that if he wasnt working he didnt need it.

So we changed him to wainrights large dog mix. Weve seen a massive improvement but i would like other peoples opinions on the matter and on the food.

Our major problem is that we live in a terraced house with a small front garden and a back yard with no gate. Now im the type of person who would like to see him running off the lead, but im also the type of person to listen to people who know what there talking about so wont be doing that but how can i excersise him. I take him for 2 good walks every day around 2 miles each but would think he needs a bit more and dont really know how to do it. Dont think there are nay sled teams or anything near me eitherso anyone got some ideas.

Were going to build him a run in the back yard ( anybody got one) and put some gates up. (the gates really so nobody can steal him) however ther will be the odd day when i will be at work all day as will my mam and he will be left for around 6-7 hours. I can pop home in my lunch break but not all the time. So those days he will be in the run. But i would like some company for him so possibly get another one. ( not untill we have trained him first).

He is doing the usually young dog things like being excited all the time and mouthing but were fine with that and can train him.

My last concern is that i have a daughter who is 1. Now I would never ever leave them alone together and to be honest even when there in the same room LIlly-Jayne (my daugter) is always on my knee. If she wants to stroke him i call him over. Now hes pretty tolerent of her at the min and the odd time when she does stoke a bit too vigorusly he doesnt mind. I would like peoples experience of young children round there sibes.

We love him to bits already but know weve got a hard slog ahead. Any comments would be much appreciated. Also any local info would be helpful. I live in Seaham near Sunderland by the way.

Cheers

Robson

PS. Sorry for the poor SPG

im in college so also have to leave kira for hours with my future sister in law, she can become quite hard work for her if shes got pent up energy so i take her for a run twice a week, me on my scooter and her pulling me, its great exercise and she loves it. you can use a bike if you dont have a scooter, all we do is put her in harness, attach her to the scooter using lines and rick bikes in front of us and calls her and i encourage her to pull. if your sibes never been in harness allow him to wear it around the house to begin with and discourage him from biting it, then take him for a walk and allow him to pull you so he associates the harness with being allowed to pull. give him a good half hour full on run 2-3 times a week and his energy levels should be low enough to deal with. we still give kira a walk every night shes on on the scooter tho

hi robson I have had nooks from 6 weeks and have always let her around My eldest grandchild and now we have josh she loves them both and is always being hit and never retaliates but I too would never leave the children by themselves as much as I could trust her not wise Nooks seems to prefer bakers food have tried her on wainwrights and she just doesnt take to it I too like nooks to run loose and from an early age we have let her off lead but never in the street its always where there is no traffic IE beach or feild and she is ok at coming back but that is everyone to theire own some dont think you should anyway hope you enjoy the site and welcome too husky hugs from nooks xx

Raw Chicken wing is really good for drying up there stools, 2 in the morn and 2 in the evening will do wonders, we feed our Grey on Harringtons dry food and during the week as a treat i will eather add some raw mince meat or some tin sardines in olive oil, he loves it and so does his backside..

I have a 2 year old son, grey is a year old now we got him 4 month ago now and he is brilliant with him, what my son does to grey and other dog would had bit him by now.

sibes are pack animals so will see you as there pack, but they will always test you for pack domination, from my experiance that is not in a vicious way more a plyfull way but just try to over power you.

sibe can be trained but it is a very long hard road as they are not like your average dog, you cant throw a ball for him to chase and bring back, he might do it once and then look at you as if to say what do i get for doing this? stuff you get it yourself...

we only let Grey of lead in closed off areas as the sibe has a very high prey drive so any small furry creature it sees it will just dart off with no care in the world about cars, the walks you are doing sound good enough to me 4 mile a day is good better than good.

Also go to your local Butchers and just ask them for any bones the have that they will be throwing away, im always getting Ribs and stuff from our local butchers, we give grey a few bones to destroy every couple of days, which also work wonders for runny poo and is a good way to keep his teeth nice and healthy...

hi, welcome to the pack :)

You've had some great advice already :)

For the food, wainwrights is good :) and raw meaty bones are also great for them as well

For the exercise, my boys get an hour each morning and play time at night in the back garden depending on the weather they also get a half hour walk at night - i'm training mine to run on a bike at the moment and plan to do this once a week if it's cool enough :)

Not got a run in the garden as it's totally fenced but have a look on places like ebay and see if you can get one you can build up yourself, might work out cheaper

Look forward to seeing you around and of course we need pics ;)

my boy blaze LOVES kids :) b careful tho if he has a habbit ov jumpin up my boys only 12 months n nearly knocks kids over

hes also on wainwrights large breed puppy food too n had no problems how long r u walks? blaze is gettin like 6 wlks a day for 20 mins a time n he still has LOADS ov energy they say 5 mins for every month ov ur dogs age so 17 months shud b 1 hr 20 mins a day cnt w8 2 c sum pics :)

DSC08075.JPG DSC08074.JPG Josh_Eika2.jpg Josh_Eika.jpg Josh_Kos.jpg (Lucy's Kos)DSC07664resize.jpg DSC07553resize.jpg

Sorry for the pic overload, but Sibes are generally GREAT with kids, of course supervision has to be used, as always...but as long as the kids & the dog know what is accepted then they can live together harmoniously! Josh is 19 months and Eika is 9 months...we've had her since she was 9 weeks....

hello welcome to the pack :)

hope to see some photos soon :) Be very careful with sibes and children, they may become a bitesize snack lol. Honestly if you introduce them together properly then they will get along great with each other but would advice looking at the thread becky (Autinville) put up and just take a look at them photos lol